Accordance 14 Sneak Peek #7: Accordance CLOUD!

R. Mansfield

1 hour ago, R. Mansfield said:

The BIG one y’all are forgetting is notes on books (Tools). Why this can’t be done in iOS has always been beyond me. 

I haven't even tried that on Desktop yet. Can it be done on Desktop?

6 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I haven't even tried that on Desktop yet. Can it be done on Desktop?

Yes, for a few years now in Mac and Windows but never on iOS and Android. But the inability to add notes on monographs, journals, commentaries, and the like is extremely frustrating. These would make perfect reading on a tablet, but if I can’t take notes on this content, I’m not going to sit for hours reading something in Accordance that I can’t add my thoughts to—it’s just how I work. 

I used to raise this regularly internally when I worked for the company. We would push, “Hey, this book is perfect for reading on an iPad!”—but was it really? I was never given a definitive answer as to why we couldn’t have notetaking on everything. I mean we’re talking a Kindle 1.0 feature here. 

• Like 8

Good info. Thanks!

12 hours ago, R. Mansfield said:

Yes, for a few years now in Mac and Windows but never on iOS and Android. But the inability to add notes on monographs, journals, commentaries, and the like is extremely frustrating. These would make perfect reading on a tablet, but if I can’t take notes on this content, I’m not going to sit for hours reading something in Accordance that I can’t add my thoughts to—it’s just how I work. 

I used to raise this regularly internally when I worked for the company. We would push, “Hey, this book is perfect for reading on an iPad!”—but was it really? I was never given a definitive answer as to why we couldn’t have notetaking on everything. I mean we’re talking a Kindle 1.0 feature here. 

Yes, this and... well, err, syncing across platforms would make a huge difference in my work flow.

• Like 1

Today is the one year anniversary of the announcement of Accordance CLOUD.

And even if it arrives a year late this fall, I doubt it will have all the features announced in the original post —"access to Texts, Tools, basic searches, Info Pane, Instant Details, and MORE!,” especially the "MORE!."

(Of course, I’m not blaming Rick for that announcement.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Michel Gilbert said:

(Of course, I’m not blaming Rick for that announcement.)

Thank you. I was going off the information given to me. I could say much more, but I'm trying to let all of it go.

Edited by R. Mansfield
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

While I am a Mac user, I found this announcement interesting. Would it be possible to run Accordance for Windows via this app on an iPad or via the cloud? 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-app/overview

53 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

Would it be possible to run Accordance for Windows via this app on an iPad or via the cloud? 

@Tony Lawrence, I'm definitely no expert on this, but, after reading the short description at the link you cited, this sounds like application virtualization. If that's correct, you still would need a running Windows device (physical or virtual) to actually host Accordance, which Windows App would then connect to from your iPad. If I'm wrong, hopefully someone will correct me shortly. :)

5 hours ago, kennete said:

I am still staying tuned. Any developments?

I don't have anything to announce at the moment. When I do, I'll post an update under "Accordance Announcements".

16 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I don't have anything to announce at the moment. When I do, I'll post an update under "Accordance Announcements".

I grow more frustrated by the month and year about "Accordance Cloud".  It has been over a year since Accordance 14 announced that it would come with Accordance Cloud.  The information provided (Oct 13, 2022) was "Accordance Bible Software is coming to the CLOUD! Later this year, as part of your Accordance 14 purchase, you can access your personal Accordance Library from any web browser. Simply log in anywhere and access Accordance, even on devices you don’t own. Accordance Cloud includes access to Texts, Tools, basic searches, Info Pane, Instant Details, and MORE!     We still don't have it.  We paid good money with the trust that we would receive the features advertised.    I've tried to be patient but I don't see how that is not "false advertising."  The fact that there is nothing to announce and no ETA is not encouraging.  I'll not even mention the delay in syncing improvements.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dmwebb6 said:

I grow more frustrated by the month and year about "Accordance Cloud". 

I've gotta agree dmwebb6.

As "months" turn into "year(s?)" it is beyond frustrating.

I hope ETS went well for Accordance.

• Like 2

I went by the Accordance booth several times. It was mostly manned by Ryan who was always with someone. I was not really able to talk to anyone. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Gary Pauley said:

I went by the Accordance booth several times. It was mostly manned by Ryan who was always with someone. I was not really able to talk to anyone. 

That's sad. I remember when the Accordance booth was one of the largest and busiest on the show floor. A large part of the Accordance staff was on hand to field questions, give live demos, and handle sales. By comparison, the Logos booth was usually about 1/4 the size. 

Of course, I haven't been to ETS in a few years, so perhaps this is just a reflection of living in the post-Covid era. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

That's sad. I remember when the Accordance booth was one of the largest and busiest on the show floor. A large part of the Accordance staff was on hand to field questions, give live demos, and handle sales. By comparison, the Logos booth was usually about 1/4 the size. 

Of course, I haven't been to ETS in a few years, so perhaps this is just a reflection of living in the post-Covid era. 

I think that assumption is pretty close to the truth because it looks like the other guys didn't have anything going on other than sales themselves.

• Like 1

I visited a few times yesterday as well because Shaun, Michelle, and Ryan were all with people at the time. This is my first ETS/SBL, but from photos I've seen in the past there was definitely a larger present in the past (and yesterday, they actually had one more staff member than the other guys).

One cool thing is that when I first went by the booth Roy Brown was visiting and he gave me a rundown of all that he is doing now over at his booth for Gesher Media.

• Like 3

I never got to attend ETS pre-COVID, but I wonder if attendance in general is still a little down post-COVID. If it is, I hope it will increase again in the future (then again, I went to the ABSC meeting in Hot Springs the other year, and it was wall-to-wall people post-COVID).

By the way, web apps in general take extensive time to develop. At the weather job I work for, they just announced a new web app. Even though that particular web app is using long-established technology as a foundation, and even though all of the additional components they're adding to it already exist in other web apps or APIs, it'll be a multi-year development process.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, Nathan Parker said:

By the way, web apps in general take extensive time to develop. At the weather job I work for, they just announced a new web app. Even though that particular web app is using long-established technology as a foundation, and even though all of the additional components they're adding to it already exist in other web apps or APIs, it'll be a multi-year development process.

That something can take a long time to develop is comprehensible. But when a company announces, "Later this year, as part of your Accordance 14 purchase, you can access your personal Accordance Library from any web browser," and then a year and a month pass without users seeing so much as a beta, that's not so comprehensible. How can a company think it's a few months from releasing a product when it's a year or years away? Couldn't it have at least released it with a reduced feature set (e.g, read-only access to Texts and Tools, with no user content so it's independent of syncing)? I don't really expect an answer: these are rhetorical questions.

• Like 4

We wouldn't want to release a web-app that is overly "reduced." While a web app is going to be less powerful than a desktop app (at least for a while), we want the initial release to provide a solid user experience. We need enhancements on searching and interacting with features in Accordance's modules to provide that experience, but we're working on all of that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jlm said:

That something can take a long time to develop is comprehensible. But when a company announces, "Later this year, as part of your Accordance 14 purchase, you can access your personal Accordance Library from any web browser," and then a year and a month pass without users seeing so much as a beta, that's not so comprehensible.

That is exactly my issue.  If Accordance had said, "we hope in the next few years to bring Accordance to the cloud" then I could understand the delay.   I do not understand announcing that it would be released in order to sell an upgrade and then not seeing ANYTHING a year later.   I'm not a developer but Accordance should have know they were not 2 months from having it ready when those statements were made. If a year later they are not ready to release anything because they don't want to release something "Reduced" then what were they thinking in Oct 2022 when they said it was to be ready before the end of the year.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 11:33 PM, dmwebb6 said:

I do not understand announcing that it would be released in order to sell an upgrade and then not seeing ANYTHING a year later.  

This. I bought the Accordance 14 upgrade when it was announced because of Accordance Cloud. Being someone so uses only Windows and Android The mobile app hasnt be updated in almost 3 years. My hope was that Accordance Cloud would take a little bit of the sting out of the fact that the Android app is basically useless.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:55 AM, KCarmanIII said:

This. I bought the Accordance 14 upgrade when it was announced because of Accordance Cloud. Being someone so uses only Windows and Android The mobile app hasnt be updated in almost 3 years. My hope was that Accordance Cloud would take a little bit of the sting out of the fact that the Android app is basically useless.

I share your frustration with the lack of revisions to the Android app. In the meantime, I wonder if the Apple iPhone mobile app has been upgraded in any way?

38 minutes ago, robrecht said:

share your frustration with the lack of revisions to the Android app. In the meantime, I wonder if the Apple iPhone mobile app has been upgraded in any way?

The IOS is considerably better than the Android app but still has a ways to go.  The IOS app has been updated 3 or 4 times in the last year.  Mainly bug fixes from what I can tell.  No new features or feature improvement in quite sometime.