Accordance 14 Sneak Peek #7: Accordance CLOUD!

Accordance Bible Software is coming to the CLOUD! Later this year, as part of your Accordance 14 purchase, you can access your personal Accordance Library from any web browser. Simply log in anywhere and access Accordance, even on devices you don’t own. Accordance Cloud includes access to Texts, Tools, basic searches, Info Pane, Instant Details, and MORE!

Pre-order now!

Accordance cloud.png

If the speed is decent this will be really great!
Is it a paid subscription or part of the regular program?

This is really sweet.

• Like 1

Very cool! It looks like we will be able access user generated content as well, User Notes at least. This is great!

• Like 1

Hi @R. Mansfield,

If I am understanding correctly:

1) This is a feature that can be turned on or off, similar to Dropbox syncing in settings.

2) This only works for those of us who have Acc 14, and would not work to get Accordance Lite on my mom's Chromebook.

3) Would it be possible to do a partial cloud, such as having books available, but without syncing personal Notes and Highlights?

Thanks,

Kristin

3 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @R. Mansfield,

If I am understanding correctly:

1) This is a feature that can be turned on or off, similar to Dropbox syncing in settings.

2) This only works for those of us who have Acc 14, and would not work to get Accordance Lite on my mom's Chromebook.

3) Would it be possible to do a partial cloud, such as having books available, but without syncing personal Notes and Highlights?

#1 Kristen, I'm not exactly certain what you mean, but I want to say no. Basically, there will be a URL which you can go to in any web browser on any device, log in with your user name and password, and have access to content in your personal Accordance Library. Think of Accordance Cloud as a fifth platform for Accordance.

#2 Yes, Accordance Cloud will only be available to those who have upgraded to or purchased Accordance 14. It could be accessed on a Chromebook.

#3 I don't fully know the answer to this question. Accordance Cloud is still in active development. A full feature description will be provided at the time of release, which will be after the release of Accordance 14 for Windows and macOS.

Does this mean I can use this - which seems much closer to the desktop version - on my iPad rather than the iPad app? At first glance this seems to address a number of the issues I have with the iPad app... if so then this is a massive win for me

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leopold Green said:

Does this mean I can use this - which seems much closer to the desktop version - on my iPad rather than the iPad app? At first glance this seems to address a number of the issues I have with the iPad app... if so then this is a massive win for me

It's supposed to work on any browser, but I've not yet tested it on an iPad. Tell you what, though--I'll test it later this afternoon and report back. Even if it doesn't work right initially, keep in mind that the web version is in active development and testing right now.

Which cloud service provider are you using? Or are you using your existing web hosting provider? In which case, it is probably not technically cloud-based. My concern is about privacy from the big cloud providers that most companies use.

1 minute ago, Daniel L said:

Which cloud service provider are you using? Or are you using your existing web hosting provider? In which case, it is probably not technically cloud-based. My concern is about privacy from the big cloud providers that most companies use.

I have no idea. I will see what I can find out.

Hi @R. Mansfield

Concerning the first question, I mean how it is currently in Accordance, under syncing I can say not to do it. A few years ago I had a catastrophic issue with syncing using Dropbox with Accordance, but before that I have had issues with Gmail syncing and iCloud syncing. For both the Apple issues and Accordance Dropbox issues, I wound up needing to talk on the phone with tech support (the Mac Senior Advisor and Accordance Tech respectively). The Gmail issue was resolved by simply no longer using Google calendars.... so my current syncing pattern is to say NO to syncing on everything. (I even own an iPhone and Mac and don't sync them).

I am also worried since some of the stuff I am doing in Accordance is highly confidential and I thus do not keep it in clouds. I even backup my computer to an external drive to avoid cloud services.

So for people who tend to sync their life, I can see how what Accordance is offering is an amazing feature, but I am just worried and want to make sure I can turn it off in settings like I currently do with Dropbox in settings.

1222564946_Bildschirmfoto2022-10-13um09_48_20.png.2a0ae5b651a359786ac992bc739cec61.png

• Like 3

This is wonderful! 

the best part is that this necessitates the elimination of Dropbox for syncing, right!?!!

• Like 4

Because I still do the vast amount of research on my laptop, this is not something I would use everyday.  Saying that; I think this is a massive step forward.  It vastly widens the customer base, especially for those who are limited to mobile devices or with other operating systems with the likes of Linux.  It gives me full on-line access to my library on another device in the event of a dead computer.    With faster internet speeds and faster processors, increasingly people are moving to an on-line experience for software.   This has become even more necessary as we move away from large 1-2 TB hard drives to SSD's as small as 256 GB, making it necessary for people to slim down what they can physically store on their computers.   To sum up, this is a very timely move for Accordance; well done.  

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

@Kristin and @OSchrock, regarding Dropbox and syncing, we have mentioned in the past that we are actively working on developing a solution for syncing that would no longer require Dropbox but would be something internal to us and custom-made for Accordance. And I hope we will have some kind of more definite announcement to make regarding our new syncing strategy very soon. I would assume it will be optional. How it will work, though, I do not know at this time. I really have ZERO information about it at this time, but as soon as I can say something, I will. 

Hi @R. Mansfield,

Thank you for clarifying. Also, if you are able to convey to the developers that it being optional is important, I would appreciate it. While for a lot of users it would not matter, I also know that I am not the only user who works with confidential information which cannot be cloud based, Dropbox or otherwise.

Kristin

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kristin said:

if you are able to convey to the developers that it being optional is important, I would appreciate it. 

Will do.

@R. Mansfield as ever Accordance climbs higher following each sneak "peak". Looking forward to using this feature in Accordance 14.

I noticed the other day that the initial pre-order special pricing has continued beyond the original slated September deadline. I think that this is an excellent idea by Accordance but you may want to update your sales material to reflect this and possibly consider some benefit for those who got in early.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Michael Hunt said:

possibly consider some benefit for those who got in early.

Didn't Jesus tell a parable about some people who showed up late but got the same deal? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

YES!

This will be awesome for us we who are using Linux!

I know it will come out after 14, but I am very excited for this.

If I am understanding this, will I be able to delete the virtual machine? If I am understanding, yes. I can delete my VM and still use it. 

Thank you!

Edited by Pastor Jonathan
  • Like 2

Plus @R. Mansfield you could wait and tell more about any new sync strategy in a future "sneak peek” 🙂 

I think what @Kristin wants is a way to access her Accordance Books via web browser but keep her user data locally and not synced with the cloud. I’m going to give any future Accordance sync a try, since it should be way more robust than Dropbox (I’ve already ditched Dropbox and just staying put until Accordance releases something).

@Michael Hunt I went ahead and pre-ordered even though I “may” qualify for a free copy of 14 (as a future beta tester) just to support development of 14, as I’m really excited about 14! I don’t need any perks for getting in early.

@Pastor JonathanWhile according to Rick, "Accordance Cloud” will work on any platform Accordance isn’t installed on (you just need a web browser), I’d keep your VM installed for two reasons: 1. “Accordance Cloud” is likely to not have all the features of Accordance desktop yet (I don’t work for Accordance and I don’t have access to “Accordance Cloud”, so that’s pure speculation on my part, but it just seems logical that an early version of “Accordance Cloud”, while very feature rich, isn’t going to have 100% of the features in Accordance desktop) and 2. Accordance desktop works offline, while “Accordance Cloud” will likely require an Internet connection the majority of the time. If you have a major Internet outage, Accordance desktop is a fully-offline backup. So keep it around (even on an external drive) as a “just in case”.

42 minutes ago, JonathanHuber said:

Didn't Jesus tell a parable about some people who showed up late but got the same deal? 🤣

Personally I think it is great that the offer is still there. By my estimation the value for money far exceeds what one would pay for the upgrade regardless of whether you paid $38 as early bird or more when 14 is released. I don't need Accordance to offer any more to sweeten the deal. I'm also really happy for anyone who is able to still take advantage of the deal after the date it was due to expire.

As an aside one could say that Jesus parable is about managing expectations (a point I was hoping to make). But I will tuck this away as an illuminating illustration for the next time I speak on the parable.

• Like 6