Accordance 14 Sneak Peek #7: Accordance CLOUD!

R. Mansfield

@Nathan Parker does it work on an iPad and do you think this might be the solution for iPad owners as I really can't see where the current mobile version is going (even if you are going to be allowed to have three panes open it still isn't the desktop)

Cloud likely won’t have the full features of Desktop out of the gate. Even other web-based Bible apps out there don’t have all the features of desktop Bible apps since developing for the web and developing for a desktop app are two different environments. 🙂 What would satisfy me personally for the time being would be able to open my own Accordance library, search modules, etc., in a web browser. Knowing I could access my Accordance library anywhere, even if Accordance isn’t installed on my device, would be fantastic. After that, users can chime in on what other features they’d want to do in a web app.

I’m not sure how syncing will work with Cloud out of the gate. Once Accordance rolls out its own enhanced syncing away from Dropbox, that could possibly be added into Cloud sometime. We’ll have to wait and see how all that works closer to the time enhanced syncing and Cloud both launch.

I’ll perform some tests on the iPad, but I will say that our iOS app isn’t going anywhere, and we’re focusing on mobile development. I won’t get too geeky or specific, but I will say we have a programmer specifically looking into how we can further add features to our mobile apps (both iOS and Android). 

• Like 3

I recall a screenshot of Accordance Cloud showing the info pane: it might have been in an email newsletter, but I don’t save those. That would definitely be a useful feature, since it’s not currently available in the iOS app.

I could see myself using Accordance Cloud as a supplement to the iOS app, to open additional resources without losing my place in the main app.

• Like 1

You might get to enjoy an info pane feature in Cloud. 🙂 

Also, I’m sure Cloud’s interface will play nicely on iPads (even iPad minis). 🙂 

• Like 3

How about Live Click? Construct search? 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:58 PM, Nathan Parker said:

You might get to enjoy an info pane feature in Cloud. 🙂 

Having the Info Pane in the cloud version of Accordance will be awesome! 

• Like 3

I doubt Construct Search will make it into early versions of Cloud due to the complexity of it. Not sure if Live Click would be available on day 1, but that would potentially be an easier feature to implement later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Time has moved on... is the cloud interface even remotely close to a beta release?  I'm up to being used as a guinea pig... squeak! squeak!

• Like 3

It's still in development, but no ETA on a beta yet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking forward to the cloud version, as I mostly use Linux systems.  Hopefully there will be an update on this soon.  I am also available to assist in testing if needed.  I am a Applications and Systems Administrator for a bank, and also have Logos as well as Olive Tree software that I utilize.  I find myself leaning more towards digital learning these days, even though I have premium Bibles that I could use.  The ability to locate resources in seconds from various sources just can't be duplicated with physical books.  As most computer users spend most of their time these days in a web browser, the need for a cloud-based solution is apparent.  Again, hopefully we will have this feature available to us soon.

• Like 6

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've hesitated a long time before writing, but felt that maybe an extra voice might help here! I also use exclusively linux systems. Up till recently, I had Windows on a virtual machine purely to use Accordance. Because of space issues, I have now deleted the virtual machine and only have Accordance on Android devices. 

I was so excited when I heard there was a cloud version coming, and then so disappointed to realise that this isn't actually going to happen any time soon. A cloud version as has been reiterated in this thread would be valuable to many of us users. I hope that this will be made into a priority soon and that the announcement in Oct last year would become reality before November this year!!! I feel that I was sold Acc 14 under false pretences! The only reason I upgraded was for the cloud version. 

Please could we have a real ETA on this issue?

Thank you for your hard work.

• Like 4

You are not the only one who feels Acc 14 were sold under false pretenses.

• Like 3

It would be nice to know if the Cloud version was on track to be released sometime this year. 

• Like 3

Our school requires Accordance for our core Bible classes. it is on 5 computers in the library (library licenses) for those that choose not to buy Accordance. You can imagine how long the lines get when the students put off their Bible assignments. For teaching, moving from classroom to classroom, I utilized the competitor for years only in the classroom because I could pull up various Bibles and interlinears on their web app.  Through reverse mentoring, I discovered many were using Bible Hub, Blue Letter Bible, Bible Gateway, etc. Their pastors had encouraged them to get youversion.  I finally gave in 2 years ago and started taking my laptop to class and hooking up from there.  The BEST part of that decision was teaching in Accordance. As we all know, the speed, efficiency, and elegance of the Bible study experience is without parallel. It is worth it for me to use my computer in the classroom instead of the school desktop to have Accordance as the interface to teach from.

I remember being thrilled to learn about a Concordance in kids' church when I was 10. Today, that world, seems grayscale compared to now.  ANYTHING digital impresses me. I finally learned to be thankful that online study of the Bible (and phones, of course) are ubiquitous. Many of us know a world without the web. Today's students do not.   A web presence is a baseline expectation, not a luxury. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, pmjudkins said:

...I was so excited when I heard there was a cloud version coming, and then so disappointed to realise that this isn't actually going to happen any time soon. A cloud version as has been reiterated in this thread would be valuable to many of us users. I hope that this will be made into a priority soon and that the announcement in Oct last year would become reality before November this year!!! I feel that I was sold Acc 14 under false pretences! The only reason I upgraded was for the cloud version. 

Please could we have a real ETA on this issue?

Thank you for your hard work.

I could not agree more.  If Accordance said Oct, then were they close to release with a product, and then an assurance of November gain hope once again.  Here we are moving like a freight train towards Oct, but no iCloud in sight.  Whoever owns Accordance, could you give us an update?  If iCloud is just dead in the water, just let us know.  I absolutely love Accordance and would love to see a robust iCloud edition due to traveling so much with Military.  I do use the competitor so much more due to its Cloud version.  Mostly what I see on the forums these days are things not working and lofty "I will send it up" or "got it".  Recently, several Accordance behind the scenes guys have interacted with people, which it was in the past, thanks to you all who helping with issues.  Please move iCloud to the forefront and please make it robust, I am certain the M2 chip can handle it!  

• Like 3

We're still working on Cloud. We don't have a specific ETA on a release at the moment, but we're working to at least get it into a Customer Beta.

I've been playing around with early beta builds of it, and I'd like to see some additional enhancements before we release it to a Customer Beta.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I've been playing around with early beta builds of it

Great! That means we'll see something by the end of the year at the latest! 

On 7/22/2023 at 12:09 AM, Nathan Parker said:

We're still working on Cloud. We don't have a specific ETA on a release at the moment, but we're working to at least get it into a Customer Beta.

I've been playing around with early beta builds of it, and I'd like to see some additional enhancements before we release it to a Customer Beta.

Thank you - I'd be happy to test and contribute feedback to the Customer Beta, from a linux user perspective!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to give a brief update on Accordance Cloud.

First of all, Accordance Cloud is still under active development.

Part of the reason for the delay is the bulk of Accordance Cloud development was originally hired out to a third-party, and while the third-party development team has developed a basic version of Accordance Cloud (I've been testing early betas of it), there is still some missing functionality that needs to be implemented before we can release it as a customer beta to provide the first-class Accordance Cloud experience our customers expect from us. While we're not expecting Accordance Cloud to be on-par with Accordance Desktop out-of-the-gate, Accordance Cloud needs more robust searching capabilities and be able to take a little better advantage of Accordance modules before we release it as a customer beta.

Instead of attempting to train a third-party development team on implementing such features into Accordance Cloud, one of our in-house developers is taking over the development of such features so we can get closer to releasing Accordance Cloud with the added robust functionality. Much of the research our programmer has done with looking into how to more quickly implement new features into our mobile apps will also pay off in adding such additional robust functionality to get Accordance Cloud ready for a customer beta.

We do not have a definitive ETA on when we will launch a customer beta of Accordance Cloud, but development is still actively in-progress, and we have a talented and gifted programmer personally ensuring that Accordance Cloud will provide a first-class experience for our customers.

We are also still looking at ways to more quickly implement features into our mobile apps, and while the research and development is ongoing, we will continue to release updates to our iOS/iPadOS apps, and we are also looking at releasing a minor update to our Android app so that it can once again be downloaded from Google Play instead of relying on our website or the Amazon AppStore.

We thank you again for your patience and for your support of Accordance.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

—-

Edited by A. Smith

The good news is the mobile app research our programmer has done will pay off on adding these features to Accordance Cloud and vice versa (especially on enhancing the Android app).

Hi Nathan,

If you are looking for some beta testers for the Cloud version, I would be glad to volunteer.

From 1996 to 2001, I was on an HP-UX, Win NT, and MS-SQL admin and testing team for the company I worked for. Part of my responsibilities included QA testing for our company’s software. Please don’t think that I am up on current QA techniques, but I’d like to try to help. I am another Accordance User that will be using the Cloud version on Linux. 

Respectfully,

Dr. Joel Collier, D. Min.

Thanks! We'll keep you in mind as we approach a Customer Beta. We want to add a little more functionality first before we have customers test it.

On 8/15/2023 at 12:22 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! We'll keep you in mind as we approach a Customer Beta. We want to add a little more functionality first before we have customers test it.

Let's get er done! 😁