Sonoma wrecked Accordance

A. Smith

On 9/28/2023 at 11:50 PM, Lawrence said:

@A. Smith

Is it an option to downgrade from Sonoma back to Ventura?

There are some how-to guides for this when googling "downgrade sonoma".

It's not ideal, but if Accordance doesn't work at all on Sonoma, downgrading might help get the show on the road again.

Be sure to make a full backup before attempting to downgrade Sonoma.

The only way I know is to do a clean install. I would recommend installing Ventura on a USB Drive for local installation first. Back up ... erase ... install updates etc.

On 10/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, Frank Jones said:

The only way I know is to do a clean install. I would recommend installing Ventura on a USB Drive for local installation first. Back up ... erase ... install updates etc.

There's also Time Machine, but backing up everything first is still important.

https://macpaw.com/how-to/downgrade-macos-sonoma

Installed Sonoma on 2020 MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7. At this point Accordance will not open. If I purchase a new MacBook Pro with M2 chip would I be able to successfully transfer to the new machine and have Accordance work?

40 minutes ago, Andy Crim said:

Installed Sonoma on 2020 MacBook Pro with Intel Core i7. At this point Accordance will not open. If I purchase a new MacBook Pro with M2 chip would I be able to successfully transfer to the new machine and have Accordance work?

Of course! All you would have to do is download Accordance to your new Mac and when prompted enter the id and password you use on the Accordance store into the Accordance software on your new machine and you will be able to download all the modules you have purchased. 

2 hours ago, Andy Crim said:

If I purchase a new MacBook Pro with M2 chip would I be able to successfully transfer to the new machine and have Accordance work?

We think we've fixed the bulk of the issues for users with Intel Macs running Sonoma. 

Before you take the drastic action of buying a whole new computer, try running this beta version: https://accordancefiles1.com/products/Accordance_14.0.8b4.dmg

(Note: beta versions may have other issues, so we recommend no one use this unless they are having fairly extreme issues.)

• Like 1

If one downloads the beta version, will it install over the current version, or is it a new install?

7 hours ago, discokvn said:

If one downloads the beta version, will it install over the current version, or is it a new install?

Mac users can have multiple versions of Accordance (or any app) installed in their applications folder so long as they give each one a different name.  I'd advise against running both at the same time, though.

Edit: That said, you should be fine just overwriting the existing one since it's not working right anyway.

To follow up on Silas’ answer, the beta typically (always?) installs as “Accordance Aleph,” so you don’t need to do anything special to make sure it doesn’t overwrite your existing Accordance installation.

After installing Sonoma, my Accordance opens but no resource is available except English bible. Every time I try to open a text, like Peshitta NT a window pops up saying The text "PESHNT-T"is not currently available to Accordance. I need to keep working on my PhD dissertation but I can't do anything without Accordance.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows laptop to use the Accordance on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

1 hour ago, gegham73 said:

After installing Sonoma, my Accordance opens but no resource is available except English bible. Every time I try to open a text, like Peshitta NT a window pops up saying The text "PESHNT-T"is not currently available to Accordance. I need to keep working on my PhD dissertation but I can't do anything without Accordance.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows laptop to use the Accordance on it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

See Silas’ post about 4 up from yours; there’s a link to an installer for the beta that fixes most of the issues.  I presume you are using a Mac with Intel chips?

Is there an update on this? Can we get a patch or a new download or something?  Hoping to be able to use Accordance soon!

NVM - just saw there was a link posted.  Again, communication can be better here, but thank you!

Edited by michael_ruel@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

See Silas’ post about 4 up from yours; there’s a link to an installer for the beta that fixes most of the issues.  I presume you are using a Mac with Intel chips?

Yes, I use MacBook Pro, Intel i7 processor. Do you mean the installer is for the Sonoma beta?

On 9/28/2023 at 12:22 AM, A. Smith said:

I'm sorry to pile on, but this is literally too little, too late. 

If the app was having these problems, and the accordance team knew about it, This should have been done Monday at the latest. The latest! Now there are who knows how many accordance users who did exactly what the largest corporation in the world, a company generally trusted for stability and reliability, told them to do and upgraded their OS only to find that accordance doesn't work. I've been to the accordance office. I know you're not run out of someone's mom's garage. For the life of me I can't understand how something like this has happened and how you all seem so surprised by the whole thing. 

The team absolutely knew about.  I have a long chain of email correspondence with Accordance where I identified the issue to them on 8/2/23.  I primarily use an Intel iMac Pro as my main machine, and as soon as installed the Sonoma beta, Accordance began crashing upon opening.  I emailed Accordance with the crash logs and got a reply that they weren't supporting installations under the Sonoma beta, but did make a couple suggestions (which I'll get to).  A few beta updates later I was able to open the program without crashing, and even got a workspace, but as noted by poster's screenshot above, with various blanks in contextual menus where a module should have appeared.

Meanwhile, I installed the Sonoma beta on my M1 MacBook Pro 16 and M2 MacBook Air and continued to run Accordance on both with no problems.  Over the next few weeks I tried reinstalling Accordance multiple times AFTER deleting every Accordance file (I used software that doesn't leave remnants, and I manually searched for possible ones using Spotlight to identify "Accordance" and "Oaktree".  Later, when tech support suggested a clean install, they specified all the files to be removed first, and they were simply the same ones I'd removed on my own.

I finally figured out what was happening.  On my Intel Mac, Easy Install only recognizes 56 modules for download.  On both my other machines, it identifies 144.  I notified tech support of this, i.e., that the issue is that for whatever reason,  Accordance running on an Intel Mac doesn't recognize all the modules in a user's library.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gegham73 said:

Yes, I use MacBook Pro, Intel i7 processor. Do you mean the installer is for the Sonoma beta?

No.  I asked about Intel chip because those are the Sonoma users who are having major trouble with Accordance.  Those running Sonoma on M chips didn’t have those problems…I wanted to be sure your issues were the ones we knew about involving Sonoma, accordance, and Intel chips.  The installer should get you a version of Accordance that works much better for Sonoma users on Intel chip machines, although there are still a couple of less paralyzing bugs, I believe.  

• Like 1

I meant to add in my post above:

- When I checked the Accordance folder in Application Support, I could see - for example - that only six of my twenty-plus Bibles were installed; however, even so Accordance only recognized two in the workspace, NET and NIV 1984.  And even after I set the default to NIV 1984, it continued to use NET as the default.

- At tech support's suggestion, I copied the missing files - Bibles and other modules - from my M2 MacBook Air into the appropriate folders on my Intel machine.  Didn't work, Accordance still didn't recognize them.

5 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

To follow up on Silas’ answer, the beta typically (always?) installs as “Accordance Aleph,” so you don’t need to do anything special to make sure it doesn’t overwrite your existing Accordance installation.

I tried to install the beta, it installs as Accordance, not as "Accordance Aleph", and requires to either replace the existing one or keep both. Silas recommends to keep both but rename one. How to rename it so they will have two different names?

If you go into your Applications folder you should be able to click on the name for the Accordance App and change it to something else like Accordance Stable ...

• Like 1

Thank you all for fixing this problem. I installed it and works perfectly, but now I have two Accordance: Accordance (original) and Accordance 2 (beta).

My next question would be: do you think soon Accordance will be fully functional and we will delete the beta?

The Accordance 14.0.8b4, that Silas linked above, should InApp update to the production version when it is released. Your "original" (14.0.7) won't run on Sonoma Intel -- I think your only choice is to delete the "original" and use 14.0.8b4 until 14.0.8 is released. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stratman351 said:

The team absolutely knew about.  I have a long chain of email correspondence with Accordance where I identified the issue to them on 8/2/23.  I primarily use an Intel iMac Pro as my main machine, and as soon as installed the Sonoma beta, Accordance began crashing upon opening.  I emailed Accordance with the crash logs and got a reply that they weren't supporting installations under the Sonoma beta, but did make a couple suggestions (which I'll get to).  A few beta updates later I was able to open the program without crashing, and even got a workspace, but as noted by poster's screenshot above, with various blanks in contextual menus where a module should have appeared.

Meanwhile, I installed the Sonoma beta on my M1 MacBook Pro 16 and M2 MacBook Air and continued to run Accordance on both with no problems.  Over the next few weeks I tried reinstalling Accordance multiple times AFTER deleting every Accordance file (I used software that doesn't leave remnants, and I manually searched for possible ones using Spotlight to identify "Accordance" and "Oaktree".  Later, when tech support suggested a clean install, they specified all the files to be removed first, and they were simply the same ones I'd removed on my own.

I finally figured out what was happening.  On my Intel Mac, Easy Install only recognizes 56 modules for download.  On both my other machines, it identifies 144.  I notified tech support of this, i.e., that the issue is that for whatever reason,  Accordance running on an Intel Mac doesn't recognize all the modules in a user's library.

This is the issue that I and others with intel Macs are having with Sonoma and accordance. The beta fixed this particular issue and so far the bugs are quite minor. Such that I am able to work at full capacity and don't really notice working on a beta rather than full release app. I highly suggest requesting access to the beta and trying that route. 

So I downloaded the beta version from the link above - 14.0.8b4

I get a message:

Thank you for trying Accordance!

Your Free Trial has expired.

You can purchase Accordance . . .

with the option to Purchase full version or Check purchase status. The Check purchase status returns a red X. So I still can't run Accordance on the Mac Intel hardware.

@Andy Crim Do you own a copy of Accordance 14?

Thanks, Nathan. The beta seems to be working. But I am having issues with the Finder with this new Mac OS. I can’t delete or copy files on the desktop and have been searching online for a solution to no avail. I may have to do a reinstall. 

Are you a member of Christian Apple Technology User's Group? I contribute over there and provide a voice for Accordance now that Helen has retired. You might give their mailing list a try. Accordance used to have a partnership with them. Not sure what the status is, but I can find out. I found out about them from Accordance's website years ago.

On 9/28/2023 at 11:33 AM, David Garrison said:

I guess I'll be the guy who posts the unpopular opinion, but I think it's a point that ought to be made.

As a habitual early adopter (oh look, new shiny toys!), I am well aware of the risks I take in doing so.  I've always been told by folks who are far techier and geekier than I am that one should never download the .0 version of any new software.  Always wait until the .1 release and the major kinks are worked out.  I'm far too impatient for that, but I also take ownership of the risk that I'm taking.  I've also been told that if I'm going to insist on installing a .0 version, do the due diligence to make sure that "mission critical" software is compatible with the new release.  Again, I'm too impatient for that, but that's my problem not the developers.

This isn't to say that this situation couldn't have been handled better by Accordance.  Nor is it to lessen the validity of the complaints and problems expressed.  I am saying that, as with most things, the fault doesn't lie solely with Accordance.  If Accordance is so essential to your work that you can not do your job without it, there is a measure of responsibility on you to first ensure the necessary compatibility.

Respectfully, you're not making sense here. The problem isn't in going to a new x.0 release, rather it's being on a release that already works, but the company has failed to plan for updates in the underlying OS which wrecked their x.0.7 application on one platform (intel macs). Clearly there was no testing done on intel macs. This indicates a management problem at Accordance.

Also, x.0 releases are not beta releases. Beta is where the bulk of the testing should be done. But again, this is a moot point here as it's not the issue we're facing.

• Like 1