DONE!

rcdeacon

Glad to see your User Notes issue is resolved!

By the way, if you ever want to become a beta tester again, I'll be glad to re-add you, but right now, I'd recommend probably not being one so that you're only working off a public build of Accordance.

Your incident has brought up some stuff I want to chat with our programmers about when we deliver enhanced syncing that would make the new system even better. 

By the way, I personally store my notes in an app called "Standard Notes" at the moment. It's nothing against Accordance or other Bible software apps, but I just prefer to store my notes in a format I can read/access anywhere even if it was a machine I didn't have Accordance installed on.

@Brian K. Mitchell

תודה

In terms of the feedback on hooks/APIs with other apps, it's something I'll chat about with our programming team sometime. I wouldn't have a definitive answer there at the moment, but I appreciate the feedback!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Glad to see your User Notes issue is resolved!

By the way, if you ever want to become a beta tester again, I'll be glad to re-add you, but right now, I'd recommend probably not being one so that you're only working off a public build of Accordance.

Your incident has brought up some stuff I want to chat with our programmers about when we deliver enhanced syncing that would make the new system even better. 

By the way, I personally store my notes in an app called "Standard Notes" at the moment. It's nothing against Accordance or other Bible software apps, but I just prefer to store my notes in a format I can read/access anywhere even if it was a machine I didn't have Accordance installed on.

@Brian K. Mitchell

תודה

At some point perhaps sooner rather than later I would like to return to the beta stream. While I DO NOT do any original language stuff, I do a lot of note taking and highlighting which may be helpful. Sadly, the problem encountered was not in those areas but in one that has been around a while. 

Bob

If using a mac, why not use the time machine feature to retrieve an uncorrupted version of the notes?

Good idea, didn't think of it.

Bob

1 hour ago, Daniel Wagner said:

If using a mac, why not use the time machine feature to retrieve an uncorrupted version of the notes?

Very good idea! I use Time Machine all the time as well.

1 hour ago, rcdeacon said:

At some point perhaps sooner rather than later I would like to return to the beta stream. While I DO NOT do any original language stuff, I do a lot of note taking and highlighting which may be helpful. Sadly, the problem encountered was not in those areas but in one that has been around a while. 

I'll go ahead and re-enroll you in the beta forums. Then you can decide if/when you want to download a future beta of Accordance at your convenience. 14.0.8 isn't out in beta yet but will be coming up.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I'll go ahead and re-enroll you in the beta forums. Then you can decide if/when you want to download a future beta of Accordance at your convenience.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Please add me to the beta forum as well for the same reason.
Thanks.

After Bob's recent issue, I'm looking into seeing how we could also implement some form of "versioning" system and "recently deleted" system into enhanced syncing in 14.1. I don't have any details on it at the moment, but something I'll bring up with our programmers. 

@rcdeacon Just re-added you to the beta forums.

• Like 2

@Kristin You're on the Mac beta forums, but I added you to the rest of them so you're set across all platforms.

• Thanks 1

That’s why I don’t really do notes on Accordance or Logos.  I do Logos more now, but always back up in Word.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Diatheke76 said:

That’s why I don’t really do notes on Accordance or Logos.  I do Logos more now, but always back up in Word.

Hi @Diatheke76,
Could you explain how you practically back up your notes? If Accordance had an "export" for my Accordance notes, I would back it up to Numbers every night. But since it doesn't have an export function, I find the only way to have my notes parallel with the text is to have two copies, where I write it in Numbers, then copy it from Numbers and paste it as a note in Accordance. This system is not very practical, but it is not clear to me what else to do.

• Like 1

Hi Kristin!

It’s simple! For me, write notes or sermon in Word and then copy and paste to Logos.  This works better for me since when I tried to do the same thing in Accordance it messes up the format in my outline.  I’m used to this, but I know to some it can be a hassle.

Edited by Diatheke76
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Diatheke76,
Could you explain how you practically back up your notes? If Accordance had an "export" for my Accordance notes, I would back it up to Numbers every night. But since it doesn't have an export function, I find the only way to have my notes parallel with the text is to have two copies, where I write it in Numbers, then copy it from Numbers and paste it as a note in Accordance. This system is not very practical, but it is not clear to me what else to do.

Having a daily Time Machine backup means you can go back "in time" to a known good copy of your notes, documents or even your software and "recover" it. I have recommended backups to people (including businesses!) and then watched as they refused to do so and lost everything in a crash, fire, etc. No serious computer user should ever be without backups! If you don't backup, then you really don't care about your data (I'm sure that's Scriptural 😉 but I can't find it at the moment.)

• Like 1

I occasionally pull the file from the accordance folder and make a copy to put on my wife's computer. We maintain one master set of notes that way. I suppose when I've pulled a copy from the accordance folder, I could stick it in the cloud somewhere too. I've used the time machine function due to a corrupted file issue before, but the virtue of putting a copy occasionally into the cloud is that it's not just saved in one place. Having a backup on the same device leaves the possibility of losing or damaging the computer and its backup. The file is tiny, and would store easily in the cloud. 

• Like 1

Come to think of it, I've stopped using time machine backups to my own hard drive a long time ago, and now it backs up to an external drive every hour. But I still think I'm going to start dumping that into the cloud periodically. 

9 hours ago, ukfraser said:

Like Kristin, i use a use a third party app for my notes 

Yep, I use Notability. Works great.

• Like 1

Hi @Lester P. Bagley and @Daniel Wagner,

I agree 100% of the importance of backups, and I also do that, where I create a copy by duplicating the file periodically and moving it to another computer. The problem I have had, however, is that when the notes (or highlights), become corrupted, you might be working for a long time before you even notice it, since there is no warning saying something went wrong. I have personally had highlight corruption in Corinthians while working in the OT. So even if you go back to an old Time Machine, it is not only a commotion to go back, but you would lose a lot of important data which had not been corrupted in the process.

12 minutes ago, Daniel Wagner said:

Come to think of it, I've stopped using time machine backups to my own hard drive a long time ago, and now it backs up to an external drive every hour.

Hi @Daniel Wagner,

Just to be clear, Time Machine is not connected with the cloud unless you set it to be so. I use Time Machine every day (at least), and Time Machine is backing up to an external hard drive. (To be technical, I back it up to two external hard drives which I alternate).

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 10:51 PM, rcdeacon said:

I am OFFICIALLY DONE with Accordance. I have lost every note. This is NOT the first time! Please remove me as a beta tester!

Bob Deacon

Pastor, Buckhorn Baptist Church

Como, NC 27818

252 396-5410

I have also lost all my notes before, but I had a backup. You must always have a backup ready. I just backed up my notes again yesterday. 

Don't try to use any kind of sync, just do in manually. 

13 hours ago, rcdeacon said:

Although I already posted what was supposed to have been my last post on this issue, I do feel obligated to apologize to the Accordance community in general and the Accordance staff in particular. I obviously acted rather hastily to my regret! Now that I have been able to return Accordance to its rightful place in my studies I do feel very relieved!  I sincerely appreciate many who responded with compassion and offered help to fix the situation. While in frustration I said I was DONE, Accordance is once again my "go to" of Bible study platforms. Please accept my apologies as I.anxiously await 14.0.8 (since I am NO longer a beta tester, I will wait!).

Bob

I am just glad you were able to get it worked out and glad you are back in the fold.

13 hours ago, Daniel L said:

I'd strongly recommend making it work with LibreOffice,

The above is a great answer!

22 hours ago, rcdeacon said:

... I was finally able to recover ALL of my notes! (hooray!!)...

I am very happy to hear (read) this!

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 6:09 AM, Robb B said:

Yep, I use Notability. Works great.

I too use a third party app. I use an app called tana. It can open in accordance browser which is a huge plus but why use notability instead of goodnotes?

I really do hate to say this, because I have utmost respect and love for all those who have labored to produce Accordance over th eyears.

I imagine that Accordance is taking into account that some of us are reluctant to purchase new resources until we are sure that things are working as originally promised for version 14 and that a more stable long-term health and, dare I say, competence is demonstrated. I for one have not invested in a single resource since the release of version 14.

• Like 2

Same here… for someone to make investments in terms of purchasing resources, it is so important to be given the confidence that the software’s quality and longevity will be preserved. This issue has caused me to put the breaks on, too. Hopefully there is swift improvements made in the near future. 

• Like 3