DONE!

rcdeacon

I am OFFICIALLY DONE with Accordance. I have lost every note. This is NOT the first time! Please remove me as a beta tester!

Bob Deacon

Pastor, Buckhorn Baptist Church

Como, NC 27818

252 396-5410

• Sad 5

My condolences. I know the feeling of messed up notes. But since I turned the sync feature off I have not had problems. Still, I keep a backup copy. This is surely a weak spot in the software, which I hope and assume is being lookd into.

@rcdeacon

If you have another machine that has an Accordance installation, your notes might still be accessible there. If so, try doing a manual copy from there (don't use Accordance's sync).

Edited by Lawrence

Thank you. I did have it on another computer but ALL my notes are gone! I even had a copy of my Accordance files saved separately but they are also messed up. Frankly, I am tired of a number of years fighting this thing!

Bob

Hi @rcdeacon,

I am truly sorry about the note corruption, and I for sure know how you feel. :( I finally handled it by making ALL my notes in Numbers and not Accordance, since I couldn't afford for my notes to get corrupted again, and I just gave up on the highlights and don't use them anymore. Which has been a real headache. I had hoped these two issues were going to be addressed in Accordance 14, which is why I had done the Acc 14 pre-order. Hopefully the seriousness of these two issues are being addressed by Accordance, but as you mentioned, it has really been going on for awhile.

In case it is helpful for diagnostic reasons, I had zero note corruption and zero highlight corruption in Accordance 12. So maybe for Acc 15 the team could use Accordance 12 as a base to bypass the issues caused by Acc 13, and the other random issues caused by Acc 14.

I am sorry again for your data loss.

Kristin

• Like 1

Per your request, You've been removed as a beta tester (you can remove Accordance Aleph from your machines at your convenience).

If you have your Accordance notes backed up on another computer (or even a backup file or a "Recently Deleted" folder in Dropbox), you should be able to restore it.

If you need assistance with recovering your notes, you're welcome to reach out to our Tech Support team, and we'll be happy to assist.

If you have any other questions or feedback, feel free to reach out to me.

I had one other computer that had Accordance on it and my notes were there! However, this whole mess began with Dropbox syncing between a Windows 11 box, a MacBook Air (2017) and a 9th gen ipad. Glad notes are back but my Accordance days are over. I have advocated and had a few people sign on with Accordance but no more.

Bob

As it turns out, the files are there BUT there are NO content, just the file name!

Bob

EDIT: I have removed aleph from all my computers

Edited by rcdeacon

The older copy of your notes should be in Dropbox somewhere under Deleted Items or Version History. Sign into Dropbox.com and see if there's a copy under Deleted Items or Version History you can restore. Let me know if that works.

I'm in a Hebrew Class tomorrow afternoon, but DM me your phone number, and I'd be willing to call you sometime tomorrow afternoon when I'm out of my class to try to troubleshoot this with you.

By the way, we're dropping Dropbox syncing in 14.1 and replacing it with our enhanced syncing. It sounds like your issue is less an issue with Accordance itself than with how Dropbox synced your content. I've had some other issues with Dropbox myself personally lately where I'm personally moving to Proton Drive as soon as they release a sync client for Mac.

1 minute ago, Nathan Parker said:

It sounds like your issue is less an issue with Accordance itself than with how Dropbox synced your content. I've had some other issues with Dropbox myself personally lately where I'm personally moving to Proton Drive as soon as they release a sync client for Mac.

I hate to disagree but the issue is with Accordance because they have failed to provide a reliable syncing solution for a long time.   The issue with dropbox is not new.  Many of us have dealt with lost or corrupted files.  We keep hearing that a better solution is coming, but it has failed to materialize yet.  The fact that we are stilling dealing with these issues is on Accordance.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rcdeacon said:

I had one other computer that had Accordance on it and my notes were there! However, this whole mess began with Dropbox syncing between a Windows 11 box, a MacBook Air (2017) and a 9th gen ipad. Glad notes are back but my Accordance days are over. I have advocated and had a few people sign on with Accordance but no more.

Bob

Dropbox keeps all versions of files for 30 days, so if the problem occurred recently, you should be able to recover your file by logging into the Dropbox website, navigating to “apps/Accordance/User Notes”, viewing versions of your notes file, and picking there most recent one with a non-zero size to restore. See https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-older-versions

1 hour ago, jlm said:

Dropbox keeps all versions of files for 30 days, so if the problem occurred recently, you should be able to recover your file by logging into the Dropbox website, navigating to “apps/Accordance/User Notes”, viewing versions of your notes file, and picking there most recent one with a non-zero size to restore. See https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/recover-older-versions

Good article!

I also whipped up a screencast (no sound, just screen recording) of the places in Dropbox you can look at to recover your User Notes:

https://rumble.com/v3cse9s-recovering-accordance-user-notes-in-dropbox.html

I will also email the file directly to you, @rcdeacon

1 hour ago, dmwebb6 said:

I hate to disagree but the issue is with Accordance because they have failed to provide a reliable syncing solution for a long time.   The issue with dropbox is not new.  Many of us have dealt with lost or corrupted files.  We keep hearing that a better solution is coming, but it has failed to materialize yet.  The fact that we are stilling dealing with these issues is on Accordance.  

The replacement to Dropbox syncing is coming in Accordance 14.1, that has been confirmed. Resolving the initial bug reports with Accordance 14 originally took top priority over enhanced syncing, but 14.0.7 has been overall a well-received release. We're going to work on a handful of additional bug reports in a 14.0.8 release (plus likely ensure it runs well on Sonoma), then our goal is to double-down on getting 14.1 and enhanced syncing across the finish line. The work we did back in 14.0.5 on improving the connection between our servers and the Accordance app was one major step forward for getting enhanced syncing done, so once we can devote our full energy to it, we can get it done.

@rcdeacon Just emailed you the video and also CC'd Support to ensure we get you taken care of.

@Nathan Parker

With the recent discussions about APIs, a brittle file format for Accordance notes, users losing notes through problems with sync, data corruption etc, and cumbersome & error-prone in-house editing environments, coupled with a beefed up programming group, would it make sense as a platform to provide hooks into popular editing tools (MS Office, Apple apps, Google docs, etc)?

This would preserve the strength of Accordance in searching and linking, and allow users to use industry-standard editing tools for our notes and user tools.

At the same time, it would do away with data loss due to Accordance-related problems.

The question is whether this could be done in a way that preserves and even enhances Accordance's functionality and competitive advantages.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

@rcdeacon Just emailed you the video and also CC'd Support to ensure we get you taken care of.

Thank you! I am extremely disappointed! I thought I was protecting myself against what had happened in the past only to find out that I had not! The problem was introduced when I opted to use my wife's computer, installed Accordance on it and tried syncing! I have had significant problems in the past with syncing with Windows. As long as I only used my aging MacBook Air and my 9th gen ipad I was fine. The introduction of the Dell Inspiron using Windows 11 sealed my fate. I sincerely DO appreciate your concern and the concern of others in this forum. I have used Accordance as my "Go To" for a few years but frankly have had my fill. I switched from another platform some years ago, and have actively advocated to some serious Bible students in my church but I have decided it may be the time to switch back. In all fairness I will attempt to recover and see where this leads. Once again, thank you Nathan and many others who are trying to help.

Bob

• Like 3

I did try restoring and the files were listed in the Dropbox deleted files but after restoration Dropbox indicated there were NO deleted files, hence NO restoration.

Bob

Hopefully this is the FINAL post regarding the issue of DONE! I was finally able to recover ALL of my notes! (hooray!!) Although I could not do a wholesale restoration in Dropbox I was able to the restoration one file at a time (almost 70)! Although I did copy a backup earlier I found out only the file names were there. This all occurred during a sync process on 8/24! While I am back in business it will not be as it was!

Bob

• Like 3

15 hours ago, rcdeacon said:

Bob

Dropbox syncing is a disaster. My notes have been corrupted several times and I've lost quite a lot over the years. Problem with dropbox syncing every time. I now keep a separate backup 

(macOS automation) as a failsafe. 

Like Kristin, i use a use a third party app for my notes 

• Like 1

I learned long ago to expect file corruption, file loss, and loss of ability to read a proprietary file format. I now make backups of files manually in cloud storage, on external drives, and on multiple computers. I have yet to find a failsafe syncing method, so I have a specific manual routine to perform the backups. I have also learned to use only open file formats or plain text for any document I find most valuable. 

It is not if a file will ever become damaged or lost, but rather when the file will become unusable.

--Joseph 

• Like 1

Although I already posted what was supposed to have been my last post on this issue, I do feel obligated to apologize to the Accordance community in general and the Accordance staff in particular. I obviously acted rather hastily to my regret! Now that I have been able to return Accordance to its rightful place in my studies I do feel very relieved!  I sincerely appreciate many who responded with compassion and offered help to fix the situation. While in frustration I said I was DONE, Accordance is once again my "go to" of Bible study platforms. Please accept my apologies as I.anxiously await 14.0.8 (since I am NO longer a beta tester, I will wait!).

Bob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, A. Smith said:

Dropbox syncing is a disaster. My notes have been corrupted several times and I've lost quite a lot over the years. Problem with dropbox syncing every time.

Hi @A. Smith,

I agree 100% that Dropbox syncing is a disaster, as I had file corruption using it also. HOWEVER, that only happened once, and the repeated note corruption and highlight corruption instances I have experienced have not been connected to Dropbox, or any other syncing method.

Hi @rcdeacon,
I am really glad that you were able to get your data working again and feel more optimistic. :) That is of course good. Your profile says you seem to use both platforms, but if your primary computer with Accordance is a Mac, be sure to do TimeMachine every day.

14 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I'm in a Hebrew Class tomorrow afternoon

שֶׁפֹּה אַחֶרֶת הִיא רְאִיַּת עוֹלָם אַחֶרֶת

בְּרָכָה וְהַצְלָחָה

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lawrence said:

provide hooks into popular editing tools (MS Office, Apple apps, Google docs, etc)

I'd strongly recommend making it work with LibreOffice, which is free/open-source and cross-platform. I wish it could just use any external text editor, but I don't know how feasible that would be.

• Like 2