DONE!

rcdeacon

Hi @Teddy24 and @Robb B,

The two of you have mentioned Notability and Tana. I have now looked at both of them and have two fundamental questions.

First, it does not appear that there is a way for it to be parallel with the text, so for both of them, it would be sort of like my current Numbers where you need to search for each verse you are at while having it next to Accordance. Correct?

Second, they both seem to be advertising some sort of AI. Do either of you have privacy concerns regarding this?

Thanks,

Kristin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teddy24 said:

I too use a third party app. I use an app called tana. It can open in accordance browser which is a huge plus but why use notability instead of goodnotes?

Might be switching to GoodNotes after the latest Notability update. In general I prefer how Notability organizes notes and how it responds to the Apple Pencil.

17 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Teddy24 and @Robb B,

The two of you have mentioned Notability and Tana. I have now looked at both of them and have two fundamental questions.

First, it does not appear that there is a way for it to be parallel with the text, so for both of them, it would be sort of like my current Numbers where you need to search for each verse you are at while having it next to Accordance. Correct?

Second, they both seem to be advertising some sort of AI. Do either of you have privacy concerns regarding this?

Thanks,

Kristin

Notability does not have any AI features built in at this time. I'm sure there are several ways to arrange your notes by verse to have them in parallel with Accordance, and Notability has robust search features built into the app, even for handwritten notes, which is what most of my notes are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curtis Greenwood said:

Same here… for someone to make investments in terms of purchasing resources, it is so important to be given the confidence that the software’s quality and longevity will be preserved. This issue has caused me to put the breaks on, too. Hopefully there is swift improvements made in the near future. 

I'm not concerned enough not to buy resources I need/want in Accordance. I see what else is out there. It's not like the grass is greener... that's just my opinion, though. Others may disagree.

• Like 1

While I have bought some resources, I have not purchased as many as I would due to concerns with Accordance 14.  It is almost a year since I purchased pre-release Accordance 14.  Why did I buy it?  Primarily because of enhanced syncing and Accordance cloud.   Neither have been delivered yet.  Before investing more, I need more than promises of what is coming.  I need to see some actual progress being made.  I have been told for nearly three years that a syncing solution was around the corner.  I will hesitate to buy the next version before it comes out because I'm not sure whether the features it advertised will be swiftly delivered or not.  Love Accordance and use it daily, but need to see promised features delivered on.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, dmwebb6 said:

While I have bought some resources, I have not purchased as many as I would due to concerns with Accordance 14.  It is almost a year since I purchased pre-release Accordance 14.  Why did I buy it?  Primarily because of enhanced syncing and Accordance cloud.   Neither have been delivered yet.  Before investing more, I need more than promises of what is coming.  I need to see some actual progress being made.  I have been told for nearly three years that a syncing solution was around the corner.  I will hesitate to buy the next version before it comes out because I'm not sure whether the features it advertised will be swiftly delivered or not.  Love Accordance and use it daily, but need to see promised features delivered on.  

AMEN!

In terms of the issues in Accordance 14, 14.0.7 has been an overall very positive release, and we'll be releasing 14.0.8 to address a handful of additional issues.

Enhanced syncing will arrive in 14.1, and we're going to double-down on 14.1 once we get 14.0.8 out the door. You can't directly "see" the progress, but we made under-the-hood changes in 14.0.5 that laid the foundation for the enhanced syncing we'll deliver in 14.1.

Accordance Cloud is still in active development. I've played with early betas of it, and overall I liked it, but we need to enhance searching before we get it into a customer beta. 

4 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Enhanced syncing will arrive in 14.1, and we're going to double-down on 14.1 once we get 14.0.8 out the door... Accordance Cloud is still in active development.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

It appears that the highlight corruption reported in v.13 is still not being addressed. Also, I have had note corruption while NOT using Dropbox, so the note corruption is not simply a syncing issue. Could you please confirm that the highlight issue and note corruption issue are also being addressed? I keep looking at the release notes of every new release, yet I never see these issues mentioned. I would also like to mention that the corruption issues have seriously hindered my professional work, so I would appreciate the issues (which again, were reported back in v.13) are resolved.

6 hours ago, Kristin said:

Also, I have had note corruption while NOT using Dropbox, so the note corruption is not simply a syncing issue. Could you please confirm that the highlight issue and note corruption issue are also being addressed?

We discussed both of these with our programmers. Our programmers are aware of both issues, and they are something we are looking at addressing, but we do not have a specific version release or ETA to announce on either issue at the moment. Addressing both of these involves careful planning, designing, and programming. As we have more to report, we'll let you know.

19 hours ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Teddy24 and @Robb B,

Thanks,

Kristin

You actually don't have to search for each verse since tana can do that for you. What I do is that I keep my notes  under the default page  and tana will search that and show me those notes. If you see my screenshots the devotional time is where I take my notes and in the second one is where the app stores it for me since i created a search for my bible notes. As to your question the A.I has no privacy issues since many people use it  but its optional and you dont have to use it Screenshot_20230901_135350_Chrome.thumb.jpg.5c3421d638d273b424c68e0f06ce77ba.jpg 

Screenshot_20230901_135408_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Teddy24
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Robb B said:

Might be switching to GoodNotes after the latest Notability update. In general I prefer how Notability organizes notes and how it responds to the Apple Pencil.

Have you looked at nebo? 

9 hours ago, Teddy24 said:

Have you looked at nebo? 

No, but I’ll check it out! Thanks.

I like Standard Notes because it's encrypted.

I also like Ulysses for storing stuff I need to use for writing projects.

8 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I like Standard Notes because it's encrypted.

I admit hearing that Accordance staff isn't even using Accordance notes does not inspire confidence.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

MS Word has some basic spreadsheet features but you would still use MS Excel for serious spreadsheet tasks.
Use the software for its strengths and use the right tool for the job. Using excel for notes means you can do so much more with how you display the cells. I will carry on using ms word, in design and apples notes depending on what i am trying to do but hopefully we will get stacks soon which works on all platforms which will help with initial info gathering before i switch to a third party app to pull it together.

I still havent upgraded despite purchasing the pre release but just havent got round to it as the previous version really meets how i work for bible study with all the linking etc and the new word feature is a nice to have.
Like others, I havent purchased many new resources this last year but that is principally because i have built up my library for everything i 'need' over the last 10 years and now am just waiting for interesting resources that have been requested on the forum. Yes there are still a few i would like but really cant justify them as they are now just 'nice to have'. I have just not been interested in any of the latest new resources as they havent really offered anything that interest me. I just hope we get some of the new resources soon that have actually been requested which really look interesting. 
i have invested a lot more than i ever thought i would when i first purchased it but accordance has really revolutionised what i thought was possible and has certainly speeded up the way i can research and helped me dig deeper more efficiently so dont really have any concerns. Just the usual vice of wanting more!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

I admit hearing that Accordance staff isn't even using Accordance notes does not inspire confidence.

If it's any help, I use the notes feature. Though lately I've been adding my thoughts to topical stacks.

That said, I also write notes in the tiny margins of my paper Bible.

• Like 2

Maybe I’m off-topic, but to piggyback on @Sean Nelson’s comment, I (who use Accordance for however many hours a week) still love a good paper Bible or two… or 20. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kristin said:

My reasoning behind it has nothing to do with Accordance as an app or it's User Notes feature at all.

When I take notes, at times I need to access my notes on devices I don't have Accordance installed on. On those devices, I can log into a web browser and access Standard Notes, regardless whether I have their app installed on that device or not.

That all might change with Accordance Cloud, but I won't say for certain yet since I already have a bunch of notes in Standard Notes. I may try importing them into User Notes at that time and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, Sean Nelson said:

That said, I also write notes in the tiny margins of my paper Bible

Same here. I keep one Thompson Chain Reference leather Bible around specifically for marking up. I marked up a lot of content in it during my PhD program. I keep another one that's pristine when I just need text.

I still use printed notebooks and journals as well. There are times when I just need a break from technology in general.

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I still use printed notebooks and journals as well. There are times when I just need a break from technology in general.

I struggle to read my handwritten notes these days. I always used a demented spider in an ink pot. Much prefer a keypad!

;o) 

13 hours ago, Sean Nelson said:

Though lately I've been adding my thoughts to topical stacks.

Oh to have them in the semi skinned version. 
one day

;o) 

Now that I completed my PhD, I've noticed I'm having trouble reading my handwriting. I wonder why? 🙂 

By the way, I want to clarify something about my current note taking process.

Right now, my use of "note taking" is more centered around my to-do list and other types of notes that I need quickly accessible. My use of "Standard Notes" is more of an Evernote/OneNote replacement. I haven't been needing to comment notes on Bible verses often lately (last time I did was when I wrote an exegetical paper).

If I needed to comment notes on Bible verses in a Bible app, I'd definitely be doing it in Accordance. Accordance's User Notes would be exactly what I'd use for it. 

I thought about converting my written notes in my Bibles into a User Notes file in Accordance, but that would take a while to do. If I ever get around to it, I may.

I've noticed a few of my comments have been a little unclear, sorry about that! Been dealing with some fall allergies, and some messages I've written lately haven't been overly clear this week. Glad I'm finished with my PhD dissertation. I wouldn't want to have to attempt adding content to it right now.

• Dr. Nathan Parker locked this topic