Should I leave Accordance?

ekim37

I am feeling the desire to repurchase the Brill lexicon. I bought it in Logos before it came out in Accordance...🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gary Pauley said:

I am feeling the desire to repurchase the Brill lexicon. I bought it in Logos before it came out in Accordance...🤦🏻‍♂️

The Brill was the only one I didn't rebuy because I do not have it in Logos, but I bought all the others, like HALOT/BDAG and such.

I haven't shelled out for HALOT yet. But it must be done.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ScottDF said:

Since I do this, here's one method. In Library Thing make a Collection called Accordance, one called Logos, and as many others as you need. Many of my books are in multiple collections -- Accordance and To Read, for example. But Library Thing has all my books. Books I've read but don't own are in Read But Unowned. Now it's pretty easy to see what I have. 

So here's my question, where can I find a list of isbn for each module/book in Accordance? When I click on the info button, it gives me the copyright info, but not a whole lot else. Is there a way to export a list of every resource I own in Accordance into an excel sheet or something of that nature?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trevor Rosine said:

Is there a way to export a list of every resource I own in Accordance into an excel sheet or something of that nature?

My understanding is that it needs to be done by hand. Every time I buy something, I do my best to record the important info about it (title, author, etc) in a Numbers / Excel sheet. This is time consuming and a little confusing, but my understanding is it is the only way to do it.

ps - I also mark what the module is CALLED in Accordance. I have noticed sometimes if you search for the name nothing shows up, but if you search for the little 4 or 5 letter combo it is named, it will come up. So I use my Numbers chart not just to keep organized, but also to find things sometimes.

• Like 1

I believe there is a way to export your list of Accordance modules, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to do it. I'll see if someone else chimes in about this. If they don't, I'll try to hunt down an answer for you.

I've been trying to consolidate my libraries in my citation manager. That way I have one search engine for everything, and if I need to cite a book in a paper, it's already in there. I can add tags (such as "accordance" "print" or even "read" if I've read a book).

8 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I believe there is a way to export your list of Accordance modules, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to do it.ck = I'll see if someone else chimes in about this. If they don't, I'll try to hunt down an answer for you.

Go to library then click cog at the bottom, export all data.  That will will create an RIS file which can be opened in text edit.  It’s a well laid out document.

p.s. You may need to right-click the new file and open with text edit.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nathan Parker said:

I believe there is a way to export your list of Accordance modules, but off the top of my head, I'm not sure how to do it. I'll see if someone else chimes in about this. If they don't, I'll try to hunt down an answer for you.

I've been trying to consolidate my libraries in my citation manager. That way I have one search engine for everything, and if I need to cite a book in a paper, it's already in there. I can add tags (such as "accordance" "print" or even "read" if I've read a book).

I have mine memorized, so it is not an issue for me.😁😎

9 minutes ago, Paul Meiklejohn said:

Go to library then click cog at the bottom, export all data.  That will will create an RIS file which can be opened in text edit.  It’s a well laid out document.

p.s. You may need to right-click the new file and open with text edit.

Thanks for that!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ReformedDoc said:

I have mine memorized, so it is not an issue for me.😁😎

I'd try that, but I don't know if my brain could hold a list of titles that long. :-) 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2023 at 12:46 AM, GYDOF1729 said:

Team, when we talk Accordance and original language tools, what are your top 5 tools for Hebrew/Greek? Why?

This is a great question and I would Love to see a thread dedicated to this topic

On 6/8/2023 at 5:12 AM, Kristin said:

...When I looked at this "starter pack" thing, it seems to be absent of Greek and Hebrew texts, and if you want original languages, then you need to move up a few packages in price. Is that really true? ...

As far as I can see that is true.

Until about 2012 (or Logos 4) Logos used to have an Original Language Library and they had a much cheaper stand alone Libronix Stuttgart Electronic Study Bible (SESB) in 2010. After the 2013 it seems Logos made their Original Language libraries only available to seminary students. I do not know if they even offer it anymore. I used Gramcord in university, but I purchased a license for BibleWorks and later the fantastic Accordance Jewish Collection 6 Advanced Level with disk for PC emulator. 

I like that Accordance now has very affordable Hebrew starter and Greek starter collections as well as curated collection paths specific for Hebrew or Greek. This makes it easy for me to continue to recommend Accordance.

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 5:33 PM, ekim37 said:

...when I talk with my friends who use Logos. I don't see good reasons to stay with Accordance...But I want to stay with Accordance because I have invested so much money in it. 

Can some people give me good reasons why I should stay with Accordance? 

Reason one: Because you want to stay with Accordance

Reason two: Because you could and can use both Accordance and Logos. You can use each software to double check your research and queries in the other. For example since space comes at a high premium in Japan I use logos as my mobile electronic theological library, but I do all my philological work in Accordance and I often use the database in Logos to double my initial work in Accordance. Sometime my results are very different do to the different tagging of the difference philosophy of Accordance and Logos search engines.

Reason three: Because it might cost you as much or more than you have already invested into Accordance to get as good a library in Logos as what you currently have in Accordance. So, you may want to still with Accordance while you build up your Logos library. 

Regards

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

I like that Accordance now has very affordable Hebrew starter and Greek starter collections as well as curated collection paths specific for Hebrew or Greek. This makes it easy for me to continue to recommend Accordance.

The hebrew starter has both a basic hebrew and a greek text which i think makes it a particularly useful starter for dipping your toe in original languages.

though the greek starter does include na28 which is great if you just want to dip your toes in greek to start with and think about hebrew later. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

On 6/8/2023 at 1:24 PM, Randy Cue said:

There are just a couple of formatting options I would like to see that I have mentioned in the past. I do quite a bit of quoting of my Accordance and Logos materials in my function as a Bible teacher in church and small groups. I would like the option of having texts have first line indents in paragraphs. Also, I would like to have God's covenant name be able to be exported in small caps ( I mean LORD in small caps). Those are a couple of formatting things that Logos does better than Accordance right now. Also, I would like to see pagination in all Accordance modules.

Has there been any official consideration of the suggestions I made in this post? I would really like some one to look into these as possibilities.

The formatting options would make a great post under "Feature Requests" if you haven't already. 

Many Accordance modules have pagination. If there are particular ones you'd want to give us feedback concerning pagination, feel free to start a thread listing them.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

The formatting options would make a great post under "Feature Requests" if you haven't already. 

Many Accordance modules have pagination. If there are particular ones you'd want to give us feedback concerning pagination, feel free to start a thread listing them.

Did so as far back as October of 2012!

Tag me in it so I'll have it.

I have no idea what that means.

Yep. You can also message me the link.

I haven't really read most of this so apologies if my late to the party here and something has already been stated.

But, as some others have alluded (or explicitly stated), Accordance does a fantastic job of equipping me to work with the primary text. I own a lot of Logos resources. And I use Logos every day. But there is no comparison when it comes to working with the primary sources. Accordance takes the cake.

Logos has a lot of resources (a fraction of which you'll use), but when it comes to the actual study of Scripture, Accordance is far superior solution 90% of the time.

For that other 10% I'm working in Logos with datasets. LN searches, etc.

Edited by jarcher
  • Like 3

@Randy Cue Got them all. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jarcher said:

I haven't really read most of this so apologies if my late to the party here and something has already been stated.

But, as some others have alluded (or explicitly stated), Accordance does a fantastic job of equipping me to work with the primary text. I own a lot of Logos resources. And I use Logos every day. But there is no comparison when it comes to working with the primary sources. Accordance takes the cake.

Logos has a lot of resources (a fraction of which you'll use), but when it comes to the actual study of Scripture, Accordance is far superior solution 90% of the time.

For that other 10% I'm working in Logos with datasets. LN searches, etc.

jarcher, I wish I could say the same.  I am probably at 50/50.  With the hiccups of early v14 I found myself only using Accordance the very quick things, but I have found that having more RAM on my computer and deleting the stuff I don't use in Logos, I could do just as much.