Should I leave Accordance?

ekim37

I've been using Accordance since my first year in ministry. Now I've been using it for four years using daily.

But when I talk with my friends who use Logos. I don't see good reasons to stay with Accordance. 

Logos has more commentaries and theological books. It is now as fast as Accordance.

It has all the features that I use in Accordance. And it syncs well with other devices. 

But I want to stay with Accordance because I have invested so much money in it. 

Can some people give me good reasons why I should stay with Accordance? 

• Like 3

For me, it's not an either-or decision. Both are useful for different things. Logos has a lot of books. Most of them, frankly, are low quality, non scholarly books I'll never use. But there are also some great resources including documentary papyri, great discourse resources for greek and Hebrew, etc. However, I find original language research much more powerful and simple in accordance. So that's how I use it. 

Since you're a long term accordance user, there is no reason to abandon what you know and already own. And there is good reason to update your version and continue getting resources as they fit you. But there is also no reason not to use other software that also meets your needs. As an analogy, I use apple notes and Evernote. I use omnifocus task manager, apple reminders, and clickup project management software. These are all a bit redundant. But they each meet a different need for me. 

• Like 4

If you’ve already invested a lot on Accordance, stay with them.  That’s the reason I’m with Logos. Besides the fact Logos offers more Spanish resources than Accordance does.  My Logos library is 20k + so there’s no way I’m switching to Accordance, though I can still prepare lessons with both!

3 hours ago, ekim37 said:

I've been using Accordance since my first year in ministry. Now I've been using it for four years using daily.

...I don't see good reasons to stay with Accordance. 

But I want to stay with Accordance because I have invested so much money in it. 

Lots on the forum use both. I am not sure what you see as an advantage in switching other than more resources, what is it your friends are saying about functionality that make you want to switch?

Are there resources you actually need or just would like? Yes its better to have all you need in one place but as so many use both, there are strengths and weaknesses in both.

I havent checked the pricing on logos packages for years but Can you get logos with minimal resources you use daily and a few resources not in accordance and then you can give both a try side by side and make a better informed decision on which works best for you long term?

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

It's like the old Dodge, Chevy, Ford debate or (if you are a US farmer) the Allis-Chalmers, John Deere, IH debate (notice which ones I put first! :-)). They all do the same thing, but one has more bells and whistles in one area or the other. I use both, even though I now wish I could have all my resources in one place. I bought some on sale, but now wish I had waited to get my main resources all from one or the other. What fits you best may not be what fits me best. Some of this gets down to traditions and choices that we subconsciously make for no good reason other than "that's the way I always did it." Why am I a Dodge and Allis-Chalmers guy? If I look at it subjectively ... because my dad was!

IH tractors ruled over those green things, which stopped being decent after the Johnny poppers. But I stopped paying attention to any of them in the 80s and now they all seem the same -- the cabs all have espresso machines built in and the tractors drive themselves. Pathetic. 

I did so much work on our 560 -- what a machine! Loved the tight turns with the tricycle front.

DN9212B.JPG.3e05f691d6085ff01c5152a17f34a628.JPG

Wait, what is thread about again? The tractor comment was like a red cape to the bull inside me.

Oh, software. They have different strengths. I'm a primary text fellow, and Accordance is better. I tend to only use a limited set of commentaries (all deeply exegetical, less theological). Pick the software based on your immediate needs. But always have a red tractor in your machine shed ...

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

I wouldn't change as too much invested in Accordance - Logos might offer more overall stuff bit the only thing they offer which I want which isn't in Accordance is ANET which I regularly push Accordance to get (and which I own as book anyway) and they have a much wider selection of journals... I do get the sense that their iPad app is better and I wish Accordance would do something with theirs (I know Nathan says that is on the cards)

I think the other downside of Logos - which is probably not a downside for anyone but me - is that everything seems wrapped in a faith wrapper rather than a study one - I don't want to use software that tells me what I should believe - Accordance isn't 100% only for Christians whereas Logos appears to be - e.g. in its list of traditions only "Messianic Judaism" is listed - Accordance doesn't impose that - sorry I hope that hasn't offended anyone

Edited by Leopold Green
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

At some point the competitor’s software looked inviting with so many bells and whistles. Some of the bells are nice, and a few of the whistles. I went primarily with that software for a while. But I grew tired of spending all my time trying to figure out clunky ways to achieve more involved grammatical/syntactical analysis for something that is a 30 second or 1 minute process in Accordance. Even the notes feature (which has some nice aspects) was just too…weird. Maybe it’s the feature-bloat, but the GUI experience is so incredibly inferior. Most of the ebooks I have no use for, and if I do…um, I have Kindle. So for quickness, simplicity, and depth of use I returned to Accordance. For me the competitor is like returning to Windows 2. I could do it…but…why? I get the frustration with developmental speed and too early releases. Not sure these are unique to any developer/software company. I was one of the lucky ones, none of the issues with 14 affected me. If I were still fighting with this I would probably temporarily switch to the competitor until things were ironed out. But…I would be back. 

• Like 2

Like many others in reply, I use both. Don't be afraid to have your feet in both waters; each has its strengths.

• Like 1

@Robert Holmstedt

IH ruled where I grew up too, less than an hour east of you. But alas, I have a green compact tractor in my garage now. With a Yanmar diesel, it’s been bulletproof.

Anyways, one of the reasons I have Logos is to buy books like your handbooks on Ruth, Qoheleth, and Esther, your upcoming Biblical Hebrew Syntax (thank you for these), and Long’s Grammatical Concepts 101 for Biblical Hebrew.

• Thanks 1

Even when I worked for Accordance I would tell customers that it's not an "either/or" decision. Logos will always have a larger library than Accordance, and because of that, I've used Logos as a book reader for many years. But when it comes to working with primary texts, I still feel that Accordance is cleaner and faster. By "cleaner", I mean that it gives you exactly what you're asking for, not dozens of other options that often just get in the way of getting your work done. 

And speaking of things "getting in the way of getting your work done," having a larger library is definitely NOT always better. I've always suggested to potential Accordance users that they get the smallest package that has everything they think they'll need, and then purchase additional tools and texts when they're on sale. That way, you won't be wading through crap (pardon my French) that you'll never use in order to access meaningful content. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 13

Confession of a not-very-well-recovering bibliophile:

I think a lot of us are simply drawn to large libraries, whether that means the traditional kind on a campus, a personal print library, and/or a digital library. I gave away 2/3 of my print library when we moved from Kentucky back to Louisiana in 2018, mainly because I didn't want to pack and move all those books. I love having multiple digital libraries on multiple platforms--entire libraries that are with me no matter where I am. I don't have to say, "I'll look that up when I get home" because I have it with me on my iPhone or iPad Pro. But I also use print books every day, too.

Like Mark above, I also used to work for Accordance. And I never stopped purchasing content from other companies. In fact, my personal Logos library is larger than the entire Accordance library offerings combined.

image.png.3fb18e94f2b8599db2a9c73640bbbb3d.png

Edited by R. Mansfield
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

I've always suggested to potential Accordance users that they get the smallest package that has everything they think they'll need, and then purchase additional tools and texts when they're on sale.

What!!!... he tells me now. I've spent a fortune thinking I was keeping you in a job. 🤣 🤣

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

And speaking of things "getting in the way of getting your work done," having a larger library is definitely NOT always better. I've always suggested to potential Accordance users that they get the smallest package that has everything they think they'll need, and then purchase additional tools and texts when they're on sale

One of the things I've always loved about Accordance (and the factor that made me choose Accordance over the other options way back in Bible College) is its scalability.

Mark's recommendation is the one I often make as well. I will never forget one of my classmates proudly displaying his newly purchased software package (not Accordance) to me after class one day, and how excited he was about the vastness of the library he purchased. As I looked through the list of all the materials he had, I couldn't help but think to myself that the vast majority of them were so far removed from our ability and studies that they were practically useless to us. When Accordance was pitched to me as an "only buy what you need" option, I was sold.

I've also found that Accordance can be a great option for your average "man in the pew" for this reason as well. My common recommendation to folks in my church is to grab the basic starter, and their favorite study Bible when it goes on sale. That, plus maybe an atlas or photoguide is all they need to do pretty powerful Bible studies, and get insights they otherwise might have missed during a sermon.

• Like 8

I have used BibleWindows (back in the day before Microsoft sued them > Silver Mountain), BibleWorks, Logos, OliveTree, WordSearch, Accordance..., and I've done beta testing for BibleWorks, Logos, and Accordance. I still use all three of them, but Accordance is my primary tool.

There are things that Logos does (or does better) that Accordance can't (their integration and linking of resources is remarkable), and they likely will always have lots more resources (of widely varying quality). There are things that Accordance does (or does better) than Logos. (Construct searches are much easier in in Accordance. Logos has more powerful search capabilities, but they become very challenging to use. Logos also does not have a good way to export results sometimes.)

I have stuck with Accordance and made it the required resource for my seminary students for two reasons:

1) It's easier to get started using Accordance. Simpler is better.

2) Accordance is lots cheaper. With a seminary subscriber discount, my students can get all and more of what they need for $200 or so. It would be closer to $500 for Logos.

Again, I am a techy sort of person, and so I'm comfortable using the different platforms, but Accordance does hit the sweet spot for the needs of most people.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Robert Holmstedt said:

IH tractors ruled over those green things, which stopped being decent after the Johnny poppers. But I stopped paying attention to any of them in the 80s and now they all seem the same -- the cabs all have espresso machines built in and the tractors drive themselves. Pathetic. 

I did so much work on our 560 -- what a machine! Loved the tight turns with the tricycle front.

DN9212B.JPG.3e05f691d6085ff01c5152a17f34a628.JPG

Wait, what is thread about again? The tractor comment was like a red cape to the bull inside me.

Oh, software. They have different strengths. I'm a primary text fellow, and Accordance is better. I tend to only use a limited set of commentaries (all deeply exegetical, less theological). Pick the software based on your immediate needs. But always have a red tractor in your machine shed ...

If only accordance would offer better classical texts (LCL), papyri, and Greek/Latin inscriptions. 

• Like 3

I too use both Accordance and Logos. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the interaction with people on the forums of the two. For me, that interaction has been much better on the Accordance forums. People like Mark and Rick have always been so positive. Things are changing a bit with the new ownership. The loss of people like Mark, Rick, Joel, and Dr. J has decreased my enthusiasm for Accordance. I hope that some of the problems with the current version get resolved. People are as important as product. I miss the interactions with those I have named in this post.

• Like 2

Thank you for the all the replies! They're all very helpful! I'll take your advice and start using both. I just hope Accordance invest more on commentaries and other languages like Korean. The Korean Market is big but almost everyone I know is using Logos. Thank you again! 

Edited by ekim37
  • Like 1

What?!!! Mark is gone too?!!! What’s going on over there?!!!

But yeah, I love large libraries like Rick stated.  That’s why my Logos library is bigger than my Accordance library; especially when all of my WORDsearch books carried over to Logos! 21,186 resources in my iPhone and a bit more on my desktop and they’re all high quality books unlike suggested by someone.  Both have great options that the others don’t have, but to build a large bilingual library, Logos is the better choice!

IMG_3639.thumb.jpeg.3c21cb39f2b8aa372450582501945cd7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A. Smith said:

If only accordance would offer better classical texts (LCL), papyri, and Greek/Latin inscriptions. 

I agree and wish that Accordance would swing back to their roots of focusing upon research-grade original language texts (not that it has been abandoned). I just think since Accordance can't hope to compete with volume of resources, Accordance needs a way to distinguish themselves from their competitor(s) now that the gap (of speed) has been closed quite significantly. Original language research is where Accordance shines and I think they should start building aggressively upon that.

With all that said, to add to the replies to @ekim37's question. I would say that if you are dealing with original language research at all I definitely wouldn't abandon Accordance. I recently completed research on anarthrous dative and accusative participles in the GNT and used both Accordance and Logos (NA28 Greek NT [GNT28-T], version 3.7; Logos, module name: NA28, version 2022-0510T16:22:18Z). I found the morphological tagging to be more accurate in Accordance (if you're interested in the details DM me as I created an appendix of the discrepancies that I found) and the discrepancies affected interpretation (e.g., incorrect parsing or nom/acc for neuter participles).

• Like 7

I would suggest getting a small library in Logos that are useful and affordable and trying to use it. You can always get your money back quickly if you don't like it. But I have both installed as well. However, I primarily use Logos and have since 2005. They have a starter pack for $50.

If it's wrong for me to post that link here, then please delete it, moderator.

• Like 3

@KevinPurcell I'll leave your link up. You're not "overly promoting" the competition and being reasonable in your post. I'm personally fine with it.

@ekim37 You have the freedom to use any Bible software you wish, and you also have the freedom to have multiple "tools" in your Bible study toolbox. You're not limited/restricted to using just one.

Since you've invested heavily in Accordance modules and learning how to use Accordance, there's no reason to "leave Accordance". You get to keep everything you own. You're also in the driver's seat on what you want to buy, when you want to buy it.

I also have a large Logos library, and I've used Logos for years in addition to Accordance. Even though I work for Accordance, I still occasionally buy books from Logos when there's something I can't get in Accordance (and with my new job, I can afford to buy Logos books easily) :-)

Here's a rundown of my "Bible study toolbox":

1. Accordance is my primary Bible software app and what I turn to first. It's still faster than Logos, and its Bible-centric and primary text-centric and focus on biblical languages works better for my workflow than attempting to use Logos for these tasks. I dived into Accordance during my biblical language classes in seminary, and I don't see myself changing that workflow in another Bible app.

2. I use Logos as a replacement for a "seminary library". Since I'm an online student and getting books from my seminary library isn't a smooth process, Logos works well for me as an "eReader" for reading stuff that isn't in Accordance and when I need to access a large amount of resources. Plus since I own the content, even when I graduate from seminary, I still get to keep the content. I will likely at least stay current with their Full Feature Set editions.

3. I used Wordsearch for a long time when the PC I had couldn't run Logos, plus I was able to snag a bunch of books from Wordsearch super-cheap. All of that was merged into Logos. I still miss some of those deals!

4. I still keep a copy of SwordSearcher around on a PC since there's a few tools I use in it when studying the KJV or needing to consult some Independent Fundamentalist Baptist content (since my high school leaned in that direction). Some of that I'd like to eventually get in Accordance, but in the meantime, it's there in my toolbox if I need it. I may keep current with it on future releases just to support the developer.

5. Since I don't have an Amazon account, I use ChristianBook Reader or Barnes & Noble for books I can't get in Bible software, and I primarily read them on a Nook E-Ink eReader so I can rest my eyes. I also use Internet Archive, my local library apps, and a Scribd subscription for finding books not in Bible software or books I'd only read once and give away.

6. I still keep a handful of content in print (a leather Bible, John Butler's books in print, etc), as a backup in case we had a major power/Internet/technology outage. I'd still want a way to study the Bible without technology.

I used to use YouVersion and e-Sword on the side, but at the moment, I haven't found a reason to keep using them. I never got into BibleWorks (I spent all my BibleWorks money on. Accordance modules, which was a wise choice). I only keep OliveTree around just to be familiar with it. I never did get into heavily using it.

When buying books, I generally check various sales to see how I can get the best deals on books. Since Accordance runs weekly sales, there may be times that the modules you want are on a good sale with Accordance, so you buy them with us. Your choice. 

I'd recommend at least keeping current with your Accordance features upgrade to ensure you have the latest features of Accordance. Then buy modules when you need them or want them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinPurcell said:

would suggest getting a small library in Logos that are useful and affordable and trying to use it.

Hi @KevinPurcell,

Thanks for the link. That was interesting. When I looked at this "starter pack" thing, it seems to be absent of Greek and Hebrew texts, and if you want original languages, then you need to move up a few packages in price. Is that really true? If it is, that would really speak to the point that @darrylmy mentioned, that Accordance needs to focus on its roots. While there have been several "Accordance vs X threads" the fundamental theme in all of them is that Accordance is great with original languages, while the others are a little more clunky about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diatheke76 said:

21,186 resources

Dang it! You're ahead of me by 40 titles!

38 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

Dang it! You're ahead of me by 40 titles!

I have both, but after using Accordance again when I found out it worked on PC last year, this year I have focused on adding to Accordance. @ekim37if you do any deeper original language study's you will find that Logos is not so easy in learning how to set search parameters as Accordance is.

• Like 4