Looking up translations of a single Hebrew word in different English translations

bnelso48

Hello brothers and sisters in Christ,

Any advice on how to look up the different translations and occurrences of that translation of a single Hebrew word in multiple English translations.

For example if I wanted to look strong's H539 aman which is most frequently translated "believe" in the KJV. Is there a way I could look up H539 and see it's different translations in the KJV, ESV, NKJV, NASB, etc., and the number of times it's translated those ways in those versions. Ideally all this information would be on the same screen.

Would I need to purchase concordances for each version, or could I get away with only purchasing/downloading the different English versions?

Advice on how to do this?

I'm a newbie with Accordance. However, I'm pretty tech savvy, and can learn pretty quickly.

Thank you for your help. Love in Christ, Brian

A KEY search in the Research Tab for "All Texts" should do it.

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-30%20at%204.39.2

• Like 2

Hmm the G/K Bibles are not listed.

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-30%20at%205.23.2

• Like 3

A KEY search in the Research Tab for "All Texts" should do it.

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-30%20at%204.39.2

• Like 1

Ok mark, esv is tagged with strongs.

So why has the hits gone up in esv when you added the g/k number to the search? From the two screen shots, from 107 in 100 verses to 111 in 104 verses!

or am i reading it incorrectly?

thanks. (Idle curiosity as i dont appear to be able to run a key search on the esv on my ipad!)

Edited by ukfraser

Ok mark, esv is tagged with strongs.

So why has the hits gone up in esv when you added the g/k number to the search? From the two screen shots, from 107 in 100 verses to 111 in 104 verses!

or am i reading it incorrectly?

thanks. (Idle curiosity as i dont appear to be able to run a key search on the esv on my ipad!)

Thanks to pointing this out. I hadn't seen the encreasing of the hits. I thought. Accordance can handle the two different numbers. For example one has the "0" after the "H" (Strongs) and the other not (G/K), so Accordance dont count them both. But after your post I see this isn't the case. And it summarize the hits from the Strongs number 539 and the G/K number 586.

How to distuinguish them. It seems the 0 in front doesn't work.

Fabian

• Like 1

Yes, it looks like the ESVS is picking up an Aramaic word in Daniel and Ezra translated "we" 4 times. You can get rid of that false hit like this:

Screen%20Shot%202020-07-31%20at%207.15.0