Does Accordance Have a Web App?

Diatheke76

I hadn't seen that but I am running WSL2. I was surprised by how much the Linux support had improved. Interesting possibilities for sure.

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...

I’d put my vote in for Linux development too. I would think the similar architecture of the OS between Mac and Linux would allow for a faster code transfer to the Linux platform. A web version would be a distant best alternative. With the take down of Parler by big tech, I’ve been doing a lot of research into alternatives to apple, Amazon, Google (Android), etc... I’m looking into Linux as my next laptop/phone/tablet devices...

• Like 4

As a Linux user, I would hope for a Linux version and or an online app. 

The only reason I keep a Microsoft laptop is because I use Accordance. 

If one of the two options above existed, My laptop would be another Linux distro than what I have on my desktop. 

• Like 2

For the life of me, I cannot imagine the use of a web app. It's on your computer, your phone, your tablet . . . why the web, too? At least one of these is always with you. Anyway, you can ask for what you want. But of all the things the A-team could do, this is way on the bottom of the list for me. 

• Like 2

For the life of me, I cannot imagine the use of a web app. It's on your computer, your phone, your tablet . . . why the web, too? At least one of these is always with you. Anyway, you can ask for what you want. But of all the things the A-team could do, this is way on the bottom of the list for me. 

For those who have the ability or the tools, I agree. Why have a web app. Here are some reasons that maybe a web based is better for some. 

1) They do not have a tablet, or a smart phone and only a desktop. 

2) They are trying to move away from the closed systems of Google, MS, Apple and Linux is all that is left. 

3) They do not have Google on their smart phone (could be using something from Lineage OS, Librem 5 phone, etc.) which are Linux based phone OS.

4) Their equipment does not have the computing space or power. 

5) They like the ease of accessing their library, notes, Bible tools, and other Accordance stuff from multiple places without downloading anything.

6) Sync-ability becomes much more enhanced, in my mind (But then again, I am a pastor who dabbles in technology, so I may be wrong here).  

As I said in my post above yours, Accordance is the ONLY reason I have not wiped my laptop and put a Linux Distro on it. If I could run a Linux with a VM with Windows 10 and then have Accordance in that, I would tolerate it. But again, I do not like Microsoft at all. Those are six reasons why the web app would be useful, at least to me. Of course, I would settle for a downloadable Linux version and operate that way as well. 

Debian, if anyone wishes to ask which Distro to build for.   B)  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I see this discussion is a year old.  I can tell you where I would use an Accordance web app.

IN THE CLASSROOM! 

In the Soundbooth at church

At my spouses office at church 

on my pastor's computer when he asks me to look up a greek or hebrew meaning 20 minutes before church (I know I can do it on my phone) 

To compare one or more versions

To search the septuagint for a word that Paul uses 10 minutes before church.

On the youth pastor's computer when I find out that I need to do a devotion in youth 20 minutes before church

On the worship leader's computer after church has started because my ipad fails and I need to print off my notes

An Accordance web app would be an expression of God's high purpose in my life. 

• Like 1

I would us the web app in several places, primarly in my office.  The gov't locks down our computers, so I am unable to download anything to my machine but I am able to use web app for other programs.  Also, I cannot take my entire library with me on deployment, so an Accordance Web App would be greatly utilized when deployed!!

I would use a web app in several places myself! But yes, a web app is very important for anyone using a government-issued computer, including those who are taking online classes.

• Like 4

On 2/10/2021 at 7:54 AM, Pastor Jonathan said:

As a Linux user, I would hope for a Linux version and or an online app. 

The only reason I keep a Microsoft laptop is because I use Accordance. 

If one of the two options above existed, My laptop would be another Linux distro than what I have on my desktop. 

Yeah, an Accordance web app would be really handy for Linux users. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Yeah, an Accordance web app would be really handy for Linux users. 

And Chromebook users. And TRS-80 users.

• Like 1

I absolutely understand the desire for this — but there sure are already a lot of great web Bible apps out there already with commentaries and the like... who have teams 3x the size of Accordance and have been working on them for years (I have worked with some of the folks from the Bible app before)...  I know it's not the same and doesn't give you access to everything in Accordance and your notes/highlights... but I just can't imagine how negatively trying to build a web interface from scratch at this point would impact the use cases that I've invested in over the last 15 years with Accordance and my hopes for continuing improvement particularly on the iPad that has been out for years and already committed to.  To build something comparable on the web would take a massive team and lots of money.  Maybe there is a revenue case for it that wouldn't tank all other development or sink the company?    Or maybe I'm just out of line with the current desires of the market.  

13 minutes ago, Rich said:

I absolutely understand the desire for this — but there sure are already a lot of great web Bible apps out there already with commentaries and the like... who have teams 3x the size of Accordance and have been working on them for years (I have worked with some of the folks from the Bible app before)...  I know it's not the same and doesn't give you access to everything in Accordance and your notes/highlights... but I just can't imagine how negatively trying to build a web interface from scratch at this point would impact the use cases that I've invested in over the last 15 years with Accordance and my hopes for continuing improvement particularly on the iPad that has been out for years and already committed to.  To build something comparable on the web would take a massive team and lots of money.  Maybe there is a revenue case for it that wouldn't tank all other development or sink the company?    Or maybe I'm just out of line with the current desires of the market.  

Yes; it would be really cool if Accordance could find a way to develop a web app without taxing any of our internal resources. 

• Like 1

As I said on my own thread dealing with Linux, I would also highly support a web version.

Several have said some very good things why to have a web app and I would quickly eliminate my VM's depending on if the web app was functioning enough for me to do my job. 

You can read about my experiences on the Linux VM's here (My last post on the thread): 

If I could chose between a Linux version or web, I would absolutely go Linux. But I will not shed a tear if I could access my library, and the functions of the desktop version from a web based system. But it would have to be functional, allow me to access all my resources, and be easy to navigate. 

But, the VM does work and that is what I am using right now till I see what Accordance does. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Yes, there are a lot of great web apps out there. Blue Letter Bible is my go to for web apps. But often times, when using the Blue Letter Bible, find myself wanting to use a resource that I know I have in Accordance and it is not available on the app. 

There is a need for resources, there is a need for support, and there is need for advancement. But everything is shifting to web based and I think, to stay viable, that option, even to a small degree, would be a mistake not to utilize. Even if it is something simple, at least have the option to do simple word searches and have your resources available. 

I mentioned it, if I have my choice, give me a working Linux version ASAP. To me, that would be the best. But I can settle for a limited function of Accordance with my resources. 

What I mainly use my Accordance for is to look at Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic words, cross those with other words, look at my dictionaries (I don't use concordances nor do I use other versions than what I use when teaching) and look at the other resources that are there (word studies, diagramming, etc.). I would be willing to use it if I could just do that and not have the in dept study stuff such as the analysis and charts. I use them but not enough to desire them. 

Give stepbible.org a shot, from Tyndale House. All the languages are there. 

Would love to see a web app for accordance but agree with the above concern. I would t want to take dev time away from developing the existing platforms.

• Like 3

I think a Linux version is much more important than a web version. What we've seen is that the internet has been shut down in many countries when their leaders felt like it. Or in others, like China, tracking systems monitor and restrict what individuals can do online. Depending on how the current worldwide struggle of freedom vs. technocracy/The Great Reset goes, the whole world could be facing this soon, or much worse. (For which case: have paper versions of what's most important to you; hardback or leather, no flimsy paperback. They may need to last for generations. #prepping)

20180828_India_Shutdowns.jpg

8 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Yes; it would be really cool if Accordance could find a way to develop a web app without taxing any of our internal resources. 

I'm not sure if that was agreement or frustration with my comment 🙂  But that was my point — web is a lot of work for a small company — it will tax internal resources— and is not the product that I think a lot of the folks who paid a lot of money for signed up for (which I include myself in).  Of course, change happens all the time and businesses shift if demand requires it.  Also, some times businesses build things people want but won't actually pay anything for and go out of business.   I personally don't care anything for a web app — the user experience of a web fails in comparison to native apps, but I understand others might.  For me, if I wanted web, I would have shifted my money and resources that direction.  I stuck with the company who was building an amazing native experience.  I hope that direction is still viable into the future for Accordance.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel L said:

I think a Linux version is much more important than a web version. What we've seen is that the internet has been shut down in many countries when their leaders felt like it. Or in others, like China, tracking systems monitor and restrict what individuals can do online. Depending on how the current worldwide struggle of freedom vs. technocracy/The Great Reset goes, the whole world could be facing this soon, or much worse. (For which case: have paper versions of what's most important to you; hardback or leather, no flimsy paperback. They may need to last for generations. #prepping)

20180828_India_Shutdowns.jpg

I agree. Always good to have paper backup. 

Just the age old question....where to pile the books now I have no shelf space. :).

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I'm not sure if that was agreement or frustration with my comment 🙂  But that was my point — web is a lot of work for a small company — it will tax internal resources— and is not the product that I think a lot of the folks who paid a lot of money for signed up for (which I include myself in).  Of course, change happens all the time and businesses shift if demand requires it.  Also, some times businesses build things people want but won't actually pay anything for and go out of business.   I personally don't care anything for a web app — the user experience of a web fails in comparison to native apps, but I understand others might.  For me, if I wanted web, I would have shifted my money and resources that direction.  I stuck with the company who was building an amazing native experience.  I hope that direction is still viable into the future for Accordance.

Agree, Linux would be my first choice. If they developed that, I would be happier than a clam in a flood. 

Base the Linux version off Debian (I use Mint and PureOS), and if done, the version should be workable to ALL distros based on Debian. 

Best if it was Debian/Ubuntu compatable because that covers majority of Linux flavors. 

But what are the chances of this? I know it is a dream, but a pipe dream. 

Plus I would wonder, would they allow a full system swap? I exchange apples to apples with what I have? My whole Microsoft system for Linux? Or would I have to buy my complete setup again?

I know Linux is a niche market but who would their competitor be? I know of one but that is not even close to competing. 

Also, Linux user base is growing, especially with some systems now as user friendly as Microsoft (hat tip to you Mint for opening the wonderful world of Linux!). 

This would put Accordance into a very unique position. 

As for the question of how to pay royalties, just because it is on Linux doesn't mean it has to be open source. There are some Linux systems that have paid programs. 

Accordance would be an absolute no brainer for me. But I would like to do a one time full system swap so I can keep what I have because I could not afford what I have a second time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian W. Davidson said:

Give stepbible.org a shot, from Tyndale House. All the languages are there. 

Would love to see a web app for accordance but agree with the above concern. I would t want to take dev time away from developing the existing platforms.

Thanks. Jumped on there and they have some good stuff. 

They are missing my Bible choice (NKJV) but I will poke around some more. 

But they don't have the CSB ...

7 hours ago, Pastor Jonathan said:

I agree. Always good to have paper backup. 

Just the age old question....where to pile the books now I have no shelf space. :).

I would absolutely love a paper backup of my commentaries (and everything else) 😀... I have Bibles, Greek references, seminary books in hard copy... but not commentaries (and a few dictionaries too).  I would find the space somehow, but can't justify the expense at this point since I would only use them in case of a solar storm / mass power outage!  😜  I mean, Accordance is too good not to use!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rich said:

I would absolutely love a paper backup of my commentaries (and everything else) 😀... I have Bibles, Greek references, seminary books in hard copy... but not commentaries (and a few dictionaries too).  I would find the space somehow, but can't justify the expense at this point since I would only use them in case of a solar storm / mass power outage!  😜  I mean, Accordance is too good not to use!

I discovered--and this was before I was working for the company--that once I had content in Accordance, I never referenced the print copies anymore. So at a certain point, I sold most of what was duplicated: WBC, Anchor Dictionary, BDAG, HALOT, and a bunch more. Never regretted it. I kept texts and translations and grammars in print. I have since added ACCS and ACT in print, but I would still use the Accordance version over the physical copies 99% of the time.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Rich said:

Yes. I have my key resources (TDNT, TWOT) and a few others. Buuuuuttttttttt......B)

• Like 1

I can't remember the last time I referenced a printed work that was available digitally. It's been years. LOTS of years. 

• Like 1