ChatGPT

Dr. Nathan Parker

Who all is using ChatGPT? And is it worth the Plus subscription?

I haven't tried it all yet.

24 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Who all is using ChatGPT? And is it worth the Plus subscription?

I haven't tried it all yet.

I think $10 would be more reasonable than $20, but I would pay if I needed it for my work or area of study.

I have found no need for the paid version. The no cost version has met or exceeded my expectations as a system to provide general background information and a summary of what is commonly found in general written material and even technical literature.

—Joseph

59 minutes ago, Solly said:

I have found no need for the paid version. The no cost version has met or exceeded my expectations as a system to provide general background information and a summary of what is commonly found in general written material and even technical literature.

—Joseph

Same here. I find the free version sufficient for all that I need.

Great info and links. Thanks!

I use the free version every once in a while, mostly to probe the AI with questions about Right vs. Wrong to explore what it is basing its idea of authority on. Questions like "Who gets to determine common ethical standards?" and "If a society as a whole were to agree that what is objectively unethical is now right and ethical, where could a person turn to know the truth?" This has provided very interesting responses from ChatGPT.

I have also used it a couple times when I needed a quick summary of a particular idea like "What are the three main views of the millennium?", "What are the main scriptures that lead to a pre-millennial view?", or "What are helpful scriptures to share with someone who is sick?" It can provide a helpful starting point for study. These are the kind of questions I wish Accordance could handle.

In one test exploration of the Hebrew word Ratzach ChatGPT was wrongly attributing this word to a passage in Genesis. Not always accurate.

But I would love it if Accordance could do something like this utilizing the resources that I purchased, know, and trust.

Edited by William Cross
  • Like 2

The Plus version gets you to about 100% while the regular version gets you to about 85-90% there

Just be aware that ChatGPT tends to present every response as absolute truth. It can be very persuasive, even when it's completely wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

… tends to present every response as absolute truth. It can be very persuasive, even when it's completely wrong.

Sooo, exactly like theologians and bible interpreters. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

As a fervent user of both Accordance and ChatGPT (paid subscription), I've spent considerable time reflecting on the potential of generative AI, specifically when integrated into Accordance's already robust toolset. This innovative combination could significantly enhance Accordance by leveraging its proprietary Greek and Hebrew algorithms. The potential benefits for users would increase proportionately with the amount of tools and texts they have purchased in Accordance.

Recently, I discovered a Bible app plugin by Praison AI while using ChatGPT. This led me to think how advantageous it could be for Accordance to introduce a similar plugin, perhaps named "Accordance Bible Suite." Not only would this serve as a practical tool, but it could also be a unique marketing opportunity. Users could click on this plugin and be redirected to Accordance's website for registration. Other organizations are already exploring these avenues, so it's crucial for Accordance to consider adopting this technology sooner rather than later to maintain a competitive edge.

My interaction with ChatGPT over the past few months has been enlightening. It's served as a catalyst in my work, reducing the time spent on various tasks significantly. Generative AI, when combined with Accordance's algorithms and resources, could greatly enhance the user experience by making it easier to search, research, and explore texts. Essentially, generative AI can learn from and extend these algorithms, offering users more nuanced and contextually aware insights.

Generative AI, the technology underpinning ChatGPT, relies on expansive language models. Libraries such as LangChain (Python) could be integrated into Accordance's framework, leading to advanced search capabilities, improved online assistance, and a more efficient user interface. The more resources Accordance can leverage, the more benefits it can offer to its users.

While AI, including ChatGPT, can undoubtedly accelerate our research and understanding, we must remember that it is only a tool and like any powerful tool, it carries a responsibility. It should not be misused to reinforce cognitive biases or validate poor judgments. Instead, just as when interpreting the Bible, it should be used judiciously, with a deep appreciation for context and proper interpretation. This same approach should apply to our discussions in these forums; we should always strive to read twice, and respond once, always in kindness.

Incorporating generative AI into Accordance could potentially set it apart from competitors, streamlining the exploration of tools and texts, and making the user experience more intuitive and user-friendly. I strongly believe that this idea is worth exploring as it could be a game-changer for Accordance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like ChatGPT?

My fear is laziness that will end up with poor liberal theology, like letting the AI not only answer questions but do exegesis and sermon prep.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kristin said:

Once the hype passes about AI, maybe we can all go back to thinking for ourselves. Mindless, soulless, and unoriented we are becoming in the sea of information.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kristin said:

No. :) I don't use it at all, partly due to concerns about AI in general but mostly because it's often just wrong. With that said, people who think for themselves are wrong just as often, so... 

• Like 3

I just used ChatGPT to create an AppleScript that formats book cover images to the correct size and image type for an ePub. Saved me a LOT of time. What's not to like? 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

I just used ChatGPT to create an AppleScript that formats book cover images to the correct size and image type for an ePub. Saved me a LOT of time. What's not to like? 

Mark, 

Could you share a screenshot?

1 hour ago, GYDOF1729 said:

Mark, 

Could you share a screenshot?

This is the code ChatGPT generated for me:

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 2.02.12 PM.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

This is the code ChatGPT generated for me:

That's decent code. At least it's smart enough to use camelCase.

Always good to share your prompt, as well.

Coders have been using AI generated block for quite some time now to great success.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

At first, I had zero interest on ChatGPT. I finally gave it a spin last night. I'm still not "thoroughly impressed" with it yet (maybe I'm asking the wrong questions), but it seems decent for quickly looking up info, although it's been a little hit and miss on quality.

I haven't paid yet. Will run on free for a bit first before deciding if it's worth it.

True on theologians. :-) 

ChatGPT is a fantastic tool for developers and is not an indication of laziness. Why would I spent months on a project I can do in a quarter of the time, freeing me up for other work that saves my company money? I have no pride to be concerned about doing it all the old way, line by line, when I can use a tool to do that mundane work for me. All technology has it's use cases and it might be that Biblical studies are not one of them. However, that does not negate the opportunity for Accordance to improve search and help at a minimum.

The thing with generative AI it seems people often miss, is that you have to learn how to Prompt appropriately. It is not dark science, it is a LLM built on machine learning from massive data. Accordance can ignore it but in doing so not only miss the opportunity, but likely will lose to competition who do take it on.

• Like 2

Spending more time with ChatGPT personally, I can see where there are some beneficial use cases with it when used correctly. Like any tool, one can use it for good or use it nefariously. I wouldn't think of using ChatGPT to do stuff that requires my own creative thinking (using ChatGPT on an exam or writing a paper would be a definite no-no). So far, I've found ChatGPT decent at looking up quick info, like a "search engine on steroids". 

• Like 2

If I were a preacher who had a rough week and needed to preach on Ephesians 2 in the morning, I'd definitely use ChatGPT to get me started. I just asked this of ChatGPT:

Screenshot 2023-07-15 at 5.01.41 PM.png

• Like 2