get rid of paragraph markers

Kristin

18 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Joe Weaks,

I have been writing papers for years, making paragraphs, and I have never seen them unless I actually press "show formatting."

Kristin,

To clarify, I was simply talking about the technological display choices in Accordance, namely, that they render the paragraph marker as a pilcrow ¶ when displaying "as separate verses", because those paragraph breaks are information that is a part of the translation.

They only show up if display is set to "separate verses".

No, of course you don't use ¶'s in a paper one would write. Although, the "show formatting" option in word processors illustrates what I was saying, that a paragraph break (and all white space) is just another character technologically speaking; it just gets rendered by starting a new line versus rendering it as some glyph.

And yes, the ¶'s are most undesirable when exporting.

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 2

I see @Joe WeaksSo @Kristinjust has to change text display from separate & verse to & paragraphs or paragraph & space...well, thanks, now i know how to add it. @Nathan Parker

344553295_1661345887676038_8996966936427304995_n.jpg

345650484_217835704348976_1510679318634865900_n.jpg

Edited by ReformedDoc

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Let me know which modules I need to test this on, and if I need to test on Desktop or Mobile.

With the exception of hmt-w4 it appears in all my english and greek tagged texts. Niv, esv, nrsv, nets, mounce, torah, na28, lxx.

the only anomaly i have found is it doesnt appear after normal sub headings but it does appear in na28 where the sub heading has been given a verse number. My guess is it may be as simple as a setting associated with the the formatting of normal text which has been switched off in titles and sub headings. (In word and dtp you always have a paragraph mark irrespective of the style as it separates the 'paragraphs'.) but having said that i dont know how you get it to show verses when within paragraphs and i dont know if the titles and headings are in the text or on their own layer, so its just a guess. 

im on semi skinned but it is showing the same in full fat versions. 

5929B821-85E3-49A8-A7D7-484E63E01F73.jpeg

3DC5BBEB-F339-4DF7-B63E-71C250D792EE.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

@ukfraserAre you saying your not able to turn yours on & off?

Edited by ReformedDoc

2 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

So @Kristinjust has to change text display from separate & verse to & paragraphs or paragraph & space...well, thanks, now i know how to add it. @Nathan Parker

Hi @ReformedDoc,

Just to clarify, that is true if you use a different format they finally go away, but the problem is that I need the view "separate with spaces" and with that view, which I need, I can't get rid of them.

• Like 1

Ditto - those paragraph markers are quite a nuisance especially when copying and pasting text into my presentations.

I understand they are useful to identify paragraph breaks IF you want them otherwise, they interfere with the text.

• Like 1

Well then that is a problem... @Kristin

Ya, it is for sure a problem, @ReformedDoc. Hopefully Accordance to set it as a preference to turn on or off. Like @Gary Raynor, mentioned, it is a real pain when trying to presentations.

• Like 1

After doing some investigation, it looks like @Joe Weaks correctly answered the question. I’ll also tag @David Lang in here in case he has something additional to add (he’s been with Accordance for a long time).

In the meantime, I’ll file this as a feature request and link it to this thread. Unless we encounter an actual bug, I can’t file it as a bug report. This is something we could potentially add to a .x update to Accordance (where one wouldn’t have to wait for a major release of Accordance for it). I’m not promising any specific timeframe or release version for it yet, just stating what our technical options for such a feature request.

The extra book names you saw are actual verses within the Greek text, so I don’t know of a way to hide them (or a feature request we could even file on that one) that wouldn’t cause the text to act wonky.

This thread has raised a number of issues:

1. As Joe and others mentioned, the paragraph markers are part of the translation. I suppose we could add an option to hide them, but this is the first time that has been suggested.

2. The reason some of you are seeing them in some texts and not others is because you have some set to Show As Paragraphs and others set to Show As Separate Verses. Remember in the Preferences, you can set the display defaults for all texts. Set that to Paragraphs and you will no longer see a pilcrow in any of your texts. You can then set the display settings for specific texts to Separate Verses as you like.

3. If the complaint is that the pilcrow is copied when you do a normal copy, STOP doing a normal copy. Instead, use Copy as Citation. In the Citation settings of the Preferences, you can set the export of text to display as Paragraphs even if you display the text as separate verses. When you Copy as Citation, the pilcrows will be eliminated and you'll have a new line break at that place in the pasted text.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, David Lang said:

2. The reason some of you are seeing them in some texts and not others is because you have some set to Show As Paragraphs and others set to Show As Separate Verses. Remember in the Preferences, you can set the display defaults for all texts. Set that to Paragraphs and you will no longer see a pilcrow in any of your texts. You can then set the display settings for specific texts to Separate Verses as you like.

Hi @David Lang,

Thank you for your comment on this. The issue is that I was finding the separate verses helpful, but the pilcrows were making it too distracting to be usable. I think this is partly the case because I have never personally seen them before outside of "show formatting" in Word. I have never, for example, read a novel or letter with that formatting symbol.

20 minutes ago, David Lang said:

3. If the complaint is that the pilcrow is copied when you do a normal copy, STOP doing a normal copy. Instead, use Copy as Citation. In the Citation settings of the Preferences, you can set the export of text to display as Paragraphs even if you display the text as separate verses. When you Copy as Citation, the pilcrows will be eliminated and you'll have a new line break at that place in the pasted text.

Though it wouldn't fix just reading it or projecting my screen, this might work for copying. When I copy as citation it pushes all the verses together. Could you let me know where in settings I could change this? I was looking under "export" but couldn't find it.

Thanks,
Kristin

Preferences (or Settings if your on Ventura), Citation. That is where you set those copy settings.

Then you right-click on the text and select Copy As, Citation. That’ll do what David recommended.

Hi @Nathan Parker,

Ok, thank you for clarifying. I had been hunting around "export," but now I finally see the section.

Thanks,

Kristin

Yeah there’s a few sections that control copy/export settings. I should probably do a webinar one day just walking users through all the Preferences/Settings and what they do.