get rid of paragraph markers

Kristin

How do I get rid of these annoying little paragraph markers? They are not in my Hebrew, but they are littered all over the Greek text. I am sure it is a setting, but I am not sure where.

On a similar note, how do I get rid of the book names? I know this is a setting, but I can't find it either.

Thanks,
Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2023-05-11um17_03_17.png.143983c695ded96adb9f7e7af44d9261.png

Not certain about the paragraph markers.  The other is in Text Display Pref. customize.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 5.09.16 PM.png

Hi @accord,

Thank you for the idea, but it seems to be something specific with the Greek. My preferences look exactly like your screenshot. What is odd, is that the book names and paragraph things are ONLY in the Greek, and are not in the Hebrew or English. I was thus looking in the text display with the Greek open, but nothing is obvious.

23 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @accord,

Thank you for the idea, but it seems to be something specific with the Greek. My preferences look exactly like your screenshot. What is odd, is that the book names and paragraph things are ONLY in the Greek, and are not in the Hebrew or English. I was thus looking in the text display with the Greek open, but nothing is obvious.

Yes, I wasn't paying close enough attention to what you had specified i.e. Greek.

I have the book titles in the Greek texts as well; I am assuming that is because they are tagged as a verse 1:0.

I don't have the paragraph markers in any text; but, if I choose "separate verses" or "separate verses with space" I get the paragraph marker.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 5.56.35 PM.png

Hi @accord
Ok, thanks for checking. I am starting to worry that those stupid little icons are built into the "separate verses". :( Thankfully they are not in the Hebrew. I think maybe I need to report this as a bug, as obviously the tags shouldn't be required to be seen.

@Kristin, this is really curious. May I ask what module this it?

It's the 'separate verses' setting, somewhat independent of the module. That is, it's not just Greek.

(Not Hebrew because I guess it's coded differently.)

Here's the same thing occurring in an English Bible, an English translation of the LXX, and the Greek LXX text.

(Still annoying though!)

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 11.37.47 am.png

• Like 1

Hi Sam,

I think this is some sort of odd bug, as it is not in the ESV. Here is the ESV and NAS28, both in the separate verses mode.

Bildschirmfoto2023-05-11um19_01_29.thumb.png.38e7d3cfb8d6bf7718b2b8c39259108c.png

@Kristin

I'm going to update my statement regarding Greek texts showing book titles.  

Only certain Greek texts, i.e. NA28, have a 1:0 verse; but, the book title is not showing – better explained with a screenshot having the NA28 book title.

As far as the paragraph marker issue you're seeing – I don't know – it very well may be a bug, though I am unable to replicate it.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 7.04.40 PM.png

• Like 1

@Kristin @accordThis is interesting because I was wondering why my NA28 Sigla didn't have those markers because when James White teaches from his, he has them.

12 hours ago, ReformedDoc said:

is interesting because I was wondering why my NA28 Sigla didn't have those markers because when James White teaches from his, he has them.

Hi @ReformedDoc,
My recollection had been that the ability to show them or hide them had been something in the settings. So my original post was trying to find out where in the settings, but it seems to be a bug based on this thread.

12 hours ago, Sam Freney said:

How about Luke 1:5, 8, 18?

Hi @Sam Freney,
I am not sure if I understand correctly, but you mean those three verses to see if the little pilcrow things or whatever they are appear? Here is a screenshot:

Bildschirmfoto2023-05-12um07_35_46.thumb.png.e525f5b4fda300f15cc7ae37297e4d0b.png

@Tech Support,
Could someone please look into this? If it is a setting, where we can turn it off, and if not, to add it as a bug? The consensus of the thread is that they shouldn't be visible. Thanks.

@KristinGood question, so hopefully someone from @Tech Supportor @Nathan Parkercould get us some info on it, because I don't have it. None of my Greek text have it, NA28 GNT, NA28 GNT Sigla, GNT TR, GNT TRS, GNT Tagged, LXX -GNT.

Edited by ReformedDoc
  • Like 1

I think this is a bug.

In na28 it definitely appears to be displaying the underlining paragraph mark. Comparing the display as paragraphs, you can see where the paragraphs are and when displaying either verse orverse with space, the paragraph marker shows up on those verses where the paragraph would be. 

1229C857-7435-4B50-89EB-563144B02263.jpeg

67AB1361-3DFC-413D-A0E4-AA77EFD0A883.png

• Like 2

Im also getting this in esv and lxx but not hmt-w4, only when show as verse or verse with space. But in this esv there is not one after the heading as in matthew above. 

33FEB790-A143-4F26-B1F5-A755F3F2818A.jpeg

889A1A25-1C89-48A9-9D6E-EAC021A00909.jpeg

45AE76BC-6015-47C2-8CA0-A1AA7424166D.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Fraser beat me to the reply! My experiments give the results Fraser had as well with all of my Greek texts and the several English texts I checked . I did not see the pilcrow with the three German texts I have.

This actually makes sense. If each verse is printed separately, the pilcrow is the traditional way to mark a new paragraph. I see this in my most of my printed Bibles that display verse by verse. I was always comfortable with the pilcrow after I learned what it meant. ;)

It is definitely  connected to displaying the text verse by verse and appears to be purposeful with Greek and English texts.

—Joseph

1 minute ago, Solly said:

It is definitely  connected to displaying the text verse by verse and appears to be purposeful with Greek and English texts.

I hope there is a way to turn them off. :( Purposefully or not, they are beyond distracting.

Im strange as for  the last 30+ years have always had show hidden formatting in my word processor and desktop publishing and music score apps so dont notice them unless they are wrong. Great for sorting out formatting with double spaces, local formatting and when people use lots of returns instead of adding page or column breaks. So they dont worry me but i used to get lots of protest from students when i was sharing my screen during training events! 

so i can understand your frustration. 

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser

I can look into this further. Let me know which modules I need to test this on, and if I need to test on Desktop or Mobile.

9 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Let me know which modules I need to test this on, and if I need to test on Desktop or Mobile.

@Nathan Parker,

The main issue had been NA28, as I had shown with a screenshot, but it also occurs in other texts, as shown on this thread by other users. So maybe a good starting point would be the texts mentioned in this thread. Concerning the device, I am on a Mac computer.

Sounds good. I’ll investigate this when I get a free moment.

• Like 1

@KristinI wasn't evening thinking about, but it might be a Mac issue since you bright it up. I told you I noticed James White had it on his & he uses a Mac also.

The paragraph markers have always shown in Accordance text modules when set to "Separate Verses". Technically, the paragraph markers are part of the text. When you think about it, for instance when working in a text document, a new paragraph marker or a tab is technically identical to any other "character" such as the letter "a" or "α". They're all just individual character codes.

The decision on where new paragraphs start are actually a part of the translation being displayed. In some instances, the translation committees' decision on where to place a paragraph division (affecting how one understands the flow of meaning in a discussion) is as important as when to translate a genitive as subjective or objective. If you compare various translations, you'll see paragraph break differences. That part of the translation is being displayed when the text display in Accordance is set to "Paragraphs", so the decision was made from the beginning to indicate those paragraph markers when text display is set to "Verses". I think it was a good decision. However, it is very annoying when copying text and then having to manually remove then along with the extra whitespace. I've always wished that was an option to strip when copying.

The short answer though is to always display text as paragraphs, as God intended. :)  

Edited by Joe Weaks
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi @Joe Weaks,

That is an interesting thought, but frankly, I have been writing papers for years, making paragraphs, and I have never seen them unless I actually press "show formatting." If a student of mine turned in a paper and it showed those little things, I would turn it back to them and remind them to turn in "finished" work and not work with formatting markers. Anyway, like you said, it is a pain when exporting.

Thankfully it is not in the Hebrew at least.

The other odd aspect is that if some people see and and others don't, it seems to be a bug like @ReformedDoc said.