Post Your Favorite Workspace!

Andrew Patterson

Thought I'd make a fun thread! Post your favorite Accordance workspace(s) and what you use it for.

I use this workspace for linguistic/rhetorical analysis from the GNT; I also use it for translating.

The main Zone 1 is setup for phrasing. I suppress verse numbering, poetry, etc., so I can phrase out the text without distractions.

image.png.bfde90477cb2c140d9fe96ea10c8c72b.png

If I think a word needs a word study, I use the Acc14 Word Study feature to find uses in LXX, Philo, and the Apostolic Fathers (Josephus will join in soon). I have recycled tabs for each, so I just tap from within the word study to see usage.

image.png.8d35cd77b2a450cfbdd76153eeaf234f.png

I can also swap Zone 1 to look at text-critical issues from the NA28 Apparatus and Metzger (I'm not super into TC, so it's very cursory). Zone 2 doubles as my commentary zone as well.

image.png.1eccf5cf117103b6756782fe0fa0d82e.png

Greek Exegesis.accord

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

I use the Acc14 Word Study feature to find uses in LXX, Philo, and the Apostolic Fathers (Josephus will join in soon).

I hadn’t realized you could do that. It makes sense now that I think about it, but I was assuming the Texts you compare had to have the same “canon.”

• Like 2

This looks interesting. Can someone show a relatively illiterate computer user like me how to set up these recycled tabs to other texts, eg, Josephus, Philo, etc?  I tried to download the attached workspace but when I try to open it in Accordance 14, the program crashes. Is that because I'm using Windows Accordance and this workspace only works in macOS Accordance?

Edited by robrecht
  • Like 2

My two most-used workspaces:

2023-02-12_21-24-40.png

2023-02-12_21-26-17.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure why they’re blurry.

21 hours ago, robrecht said:

This looks interesting. Can someone show a relatively illiterate computer user like me how to set up these recycled tabs to other texts, eg, Josephus, Philo, etc?  I tried to download the attached workspace but when I try to open it in Accordance 14, the program crashes. Is that because I'm using Windows Accordance and this workspace only works in macOS Accordance?

I'm a Windows user, so it shouldn't be a platform inconsistency....I'm guessing the workspace has certain modules loaded you might not own. I was afraid that'd happen.

Here's the way I built the whole workspace; you can refer to my screenshots as well.

Add Zones.

1. File > New Workspace (then close whatever workspace was already open)
  2. Set Text in Zone 1 to preferred non-apparatus GNT (e.g., NA28)
  3. Right-click a word (e.g., ἀδικία) > Word Study > Lexeme to open a Word Study in Zone 2
  4. In Zone 2, select (+) to add commentary tab
  5. In Word Study tab > Word Info/Definition, select "More..." to open a lexicon in Zone 3

Add Greek corpus tabs.

1. In Word Study >Text Compare, select (+) to add desired Greek text (e.g., LXX)
  2. Select Greek word (e.g., ἀδικία) under the new text (e.g., LXX) to open LXX tab in main zone
  3. In LXX tab, confirm Recycle Content (♺) is highlighted
  4. In LXX tab, select Add Parallel to add English translation (e.g., NETS)
  5. Repeat for other Greek texts as desired

Add Textual Criticism tab.

1. In Zone 1, select (+) to add TC tab; set text to apparatus edition of your GNT (e.g., NA28 with Sigla)
  2. In TC tab, select Add Parallel to add relevant apparatus
  3. For apparatus, select gear icon (⛭) > select Move down
  4. Select Add Parallel to add textual commentary
  5. In TC tab, select carat (⌄) on top of tab > Tab Ties, select Tie to [Main GNT tab]

Format GNT for phrasing.

1. In Main GNT tab, select the gear icon (⛭) > Set Text Pane Display
  2. Set Show as to "Paragraphs"
  3. Swap to the Advanced tab of Set Text Display; select "Suppress poetry"; Under References, set Format to "Omit Entire Reference"
  4. Select the gear icon > Phrasing; confirm that phrasing is shown
  • Like 4

Andrew, this is excellent. With all the bug in for regarding 12 going away, 13/14 bugs; it is very refreshing to see this kind of info for Accordance.  This IMHO is extremely helpful to those of us who use Accordance day in and day out.  Absolutely love how you walk this step by step.  I am a visual learner!  I want to say thank you for laying this out.  Please, feel free to add other step by step processes you do. 

• Like 3

Here is my current session for Sunday's sermon ... I have a Hebrew workspace too, but not using it this week ...

main workspace.png

Greek workspace.png

sermon writing worskspace.png

misc workspaces.png

• Like 6

Niiiice, man! I like the workflow you have with the different workspaces.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

Greek workspace.png

Ho do you do this?! Is this something you installed? Very interesting!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

Is this something you installed?

I created a sermon session.  main workspace, a Greek & Hebrew workspace, etc. then saved the session.

I have attached the session. I think it will work, though my personal tools & stacks won't open. If you need help PM me.

Sermon Session v2.accord.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Tim Hall said:

I created a sermon session.  main workspace, a Greek & Hebrew workspace, etc. then saved the session.

I have attached the session. I think it will work, though my personal tools & stacks won't open. If you need help PM me.

Sermon Session v2.accord.zip 4.82 kB · 0 downloads

Appreciate it! Thank you...

unfortunately I can't open it...my accordance crashes if i try so!

• Like 1

This is my basic startup session. Useful for quickly surveying a verse or passage. With live-click turned on, I can tap on any verse reference to see various translations of that verse in the right pane.

I like to keep instant details on the right side of my screen to save vertical space.

My Accordance Homepage Screenshot.png

Edited by OSchrock
Formatting
  • Like 3

@OSchrock Hey, weird q, but what font you using there? Is that a Garamond relative?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dan12 said:

unfortunately I can't open it...my accordance crashes

This might be because you don't have my user tools, or because you don't have all the modules that I use in my sermon session... 

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can weigh in ... @Nathan Parker??

• Like 1

This is just an open question to everyone who posted, what font size do you normally use, and how wide is your screen? Some of these images look like the Greek is at 6pt font, so I am just curious.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kristin said:

This is just an open question to everyone who posted, what font size do you normally use, and how wide is your screen? Some of these images look like the Greek is at 6pt font, so I am just curious.

I use 12pt font for both Greek and English, and I alternate between my 15" laptop and a 34" monitor (21:9 aspect ratio).

My monitor is really large, so a screenshot would definitely make the font look tiny. I took the above screenshots on my laptop.

• Like 2

It might be because he doesn’t have certain user tools or modules installed. Usually it just throws an error saying you need a certain module, but it may be crashing instead.

59 minutes ago, Kristin said:

My font sizes range is 21 for texts and tools and 27 for notes. My computer is a 12" MacBook, but I use a 31.5" curved monitor at my desk, so everything is nice and big (helps since I now find myself in try-focals 👨‍🦳)

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

....I'm guessing the workspace has certain modules loaded you might not own. I was afraid that'd happen. ...

9 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

It might be because he doesn’t have certain user tools or modules installed. Usually it just throws an error saying you need a certain module, but it may be crashing instead.

When I try to open in Accordance 13, I get the following messages:

"The text 'PNTC-Letters of John 2' is not currently installed.

Please view our website for a preview of the module and purchase information.

// Go to Website // Continue //"

If I hit Continue, I get the following message:

"The file 'Greek Exegesis' was created with a newer version of Accordance and cannot be completely opened.

Some of the file items may be partially opened, but you will need to update your version of accordance to read the entire file.

// OK //"

But if I try to open in Accordance 14 it just crashes the program. This happens consistently. That might be something to look into with respect to fixing Version 14.0.4.0

Feel free to move to another thread rather than cluttering up this one.

• Like 1

Thanks! Post your errors in one of the Bug Swatters threads so we can take a look.

22 hours ago, Andrew Patterson said:

@OSchrock Hey, weird q, but what font you using there? Is that a Garamond relative?

Not weird at all! I compared a lot of fonts before settling on this one, which is the Iowan Old Style font.

• Like 2