Main Accordance Modules to Bring into Accordance

Dr. Nathan Parker

Jastrow is one we’ve looked into, but we don’t have anything to announce on that front.

• Like 2

using  Accordance in the original languages mainly  - would certainly be interested in the following - 

So - as many Greek and Hebrew tests as possible to compare with the Tanakh, NT or patristic tests (and tagged if possible) - examples such as pseudo dionysus, john the grammarian and non-christian texts as well for comparison - so many of these  - so pretty much the Loeb library or on Tuft's Perseus

and access to text of papyri with in accordance    - such as those on papyri.info - particularly good for understanding use and context of words

- later work would also be good in Greek so Photios, the Soda and michael Psellos

some latin texts would also be good as you have few of the Latin writers in Latin - Tertullian, Augustin, Anselm, Grosstesse, Abelard, Duns Scots Okham, Aquinas etc

Edited by Tim Planche
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Tim Planche said:

using  Accordance in the original languages mainly  - would certainly be interested in the following - 

So - as many Greek and Hebrew tests as possible to compare with the Tanakh, NT or patristic tests (and tagged if possible) - examples such as pseudo dionysus, john the grammarian and non-christian texts as well for comparison - so many of these  - so pretty much the Loeb library or on Tuft's Perseus

and access to text of papyri with in accordance    - such as those on papyri.info - particularly good for understanding use and context of words

- later work would also be good in Greek so Photios, the Soda and michael Psellos

some latin texts would also be good as you have few of the Latin writers in Latin - Tertullian, Augustin, Anselm, Grosstesse, Abelard, Duns Scots Okham, Aquinas etc

I think OakTree’s main concern here is that original language texts don’t sell well unless they’re accompanied by a translation, ideally in parallel, which means making a Text divided into chapters and verses, and perhaps finding someone to do morphological tagging. So my main hope in this area has been that Accordance would provide robust import functionality for the millions of words of Latin and Greek texts online.

I assume Soda is a typo for Suda or Souda: the Suda On Line is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike License, so it ought to be possible (with work)  to transform it into a Lexicon User Tool and share it on the Accordance Exchange. But first that new functionality needs to be debugged.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jlm said:

I think OakTree’s main concern here is that original language texts don’t sell well unless they’re accompanied by a translation, ideally in parallel, which means making a Text divided into chapters and verses, and perhaps finding someone to do morphological tagging. So my main hope in this area has been that Accordance would provide robust import functionality for the millions of words of Latin and Greek texts online.

I assume Soda is a typo for Suda or Souda: the Suda On Line is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommerical-ShareAlike License, so it ought to be possible (with work)  to transform it into a Lexicon User Tool and share it on the Accordance Exchange. But first that new functionality needs to be debugged.

oops - Yes the Souda -  - got done by autocorrect. sorry 🙂 .

I am surprised original language texts don't sell  - but what do I know...

Great idea and I agree that in the absence of the texts in Accordance the functionality of being able to integrate these available online resources in Accordance searches and workflows would be outstanding.

- Perseus, papyri.info, Loeb online and Souda online would be my wish-list. (I would even pay a subscription for that functionality! -just  to contribute to another thread here !)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tim Planche said:

oops - Yes the Souda -  - got done by autocorrect. sorry 🙂 .

I am surprised original language texts don't sell  - but what do I know...

Great idea and I agree that in the absence of the texts in Accordance the functionality of being able to integrate these available online resources in Accordance searches and workflows would be outstanding.

- Perseus, papyri.info, Loeb online and Souda online would be my wish-list. (I would even pay a subscription for that functionality! -just  to contribute to another thread here !)

You may already know this, but there’s a Perseus Classics resource for Accordance, which includes a limited selection of (untagged) Greek texts, all with English translations. It has utility in itself, but it was also prepared as a way of gauging interest in classical texts. The limitation of this trial balloon is that interest would be greater if the set of texts was more complete.

• Like 2

I would like to see the Instant details colour linked to either the tool or text pane colour or even have its own option for background colour and text colour

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jlm said:

You may already know this, but there’s a Perseus Classics resource for Accordance, which includes a limited selection of (untagged) Greek texts, all with English translations. It has utility in itself, but it was also prepared as a way of gauging interest in classical texts. The limitation of this trial balloon is that interest would be greater if the set of texts was more complete.

Hi thanks and I have the module - - but without tagging its not possible to search properly to look at use of vocabulary  and is more of an e-reader than an accordance resource 

and the  12 books is not much of the available resource - so also would need to use other resources

that said - I do like it and read some of  the Anabasis  and Strabo is interesting to look up for geographical details

i agree with you that as a trial it doesn't quite have the feature or numbers of texts to make it really worth while - and a shame if it didn't sell too well

and I still completely agree with you that integrating these online resources into Accordance would be great - possibly a bit like Alpheios  - but integrated in accordance

• Like 1

While I hesitate to ask for this one considering the issue Accordance has with just opening properly on one monitor, it would still be nice to have the option to specify which monitor (in a multiple monitor setup) the next zone opens up in. For example, in this screen shot, the left is the main monitor and the right is the second monitor. On the second monitor is the dictionary and text browser that were opened up from the first pane. I think the maximum number of monitors would be four. I usually run three, but occasionally four.

image.thumb.png.926f71df3bacd46eac1835fb146015e7.png

• Like 1

(1)the commentary from the Hertz's Pentateuch and Haftorah by Dr. J.H. Hertz, Soncino Press

(2) Rashi (Rabbi Shlomo Yitzhaki)'s commentary (in Hebrew) on the Pentateuch maybe the other Rishonim, too.

(by the way Accordance has these texts in English in Carasik's commentators Bible).

(3) Introduction to the Tiberian Masorah by Israel Yeivin

(4) Dr. James D. Price's  JDP Hebrew accent database that was available in BibleWorks.

I would also like to have an offline printed Accordance manual(maybe a print on demand edition at Amazon or somewhere?), or a kindle version of the Accordance helpfiles.  

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell
  • Like 4

I have just realized that Dr. Keener's commentary on Matthew is but one in a whole series: the Socio-Rhetorical Commentary series from Eerdmans, most of which were written by Ben Witherington III. I'd be interested to see the whole series.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I don’t think we publicly post sales figures on original language texts (or any modules on that matter), so any discussion on that is likely an assumption.

Some texts and tools can be developed as User Bibles or User Tools, and for those that are public domain, that might be one possibility to quickly get some of those items into Accordance. Accordance 14 can support Unicode in User Tools now, plus we now offer User Dictionaries, User Lexicons, and User Commentaries. We can host User Bibles and User Tools on the Accordance Exchange.

There is also the Accordance Web Browser, so some online archives can still be seen in Accordance via the web browser (I’m doing this with Galaxie at the moment).

However, I’ll still send all of this feedback on, as we’re always looking for new modules to add!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

don’t think we publicly post sales figures on original language texts (or any modules on that matter), so any discussion on that is likely an assumption.

I didn’t mean to say that I know sales are low. I know the Perseus Classics selection was also intended as a way of gauging interest because that was stated on the forum. Since there have been no further releases of Perseus material, I gather interest was not high enough to make such releases a priority.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I don’t think we publicly post sales figures on original language texts (or any modules on that matter), so any discussion on that is likely an assumption.

On the previous web site accordance used to post the top ten sellers and also have filters for top ten sellers for different categories. Though i was always sceptical of some results as some items were only parts of sets so couldnt understand why they were consistently listed at the top of the top ten

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ukfraser said:

On the previous web site accordance used to post the top ten sellers and also have filters for top ten sellers for different categories. Though i was always sceptical of some results as some items were only parts of sets so couldnt understand why they were consistently listed at the top of the top ten

Maybe that’s why we no longer have it. 🙂 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are so many books one could get that would be nice to have digitally (as Logos is doing), but with Accordance, I'm mainly interested in reference works that have lots of biblical references and references to other language tools so that I can quickly see and jump between resources. (Links are my AmazAffilLinks)

• The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Frederick William Danker: This is an excellent entry level lexicon that is a big step up from the gloss lexicons and offers a different lexical view both from its big brother BDAG and something like the NT Word Study Dictionary. I would argue that this should be the lexicon included in the Hebrew & Greek Discoverer level library at least. (BTW, BibleWorks did have it, so it must be available.)

• Atlas of the Biblical World by Mark Vitalis Hoffman and Robert A. Mullins: Ok, I'll promote the atlas I co-authored, but Accordance already has other in this Fortress series, and I do know that some of my students would buy it!

• Old Testament Use of Old Testament: A Book-by-Book Guide by Gary Edward Schnittjer: This is exactly the kind of resource that would be so much more useful in Accordance than as hardcopy. Being able to see all the cross-listed verses would make it very easy to navigate and use.

• The Jewish Annotated Apocrypha by Jonathan Klawans and Lawrence M. Wills (eds): Accordance has the Jewish Study Bible for the OT and the Jewish Annotated NT, so this would complete the set.

• Robert Alter's "The Hebrew Bible: A Translation with Commentary" but I understand the publisher/author is not willing to release this for digital formats.

• NRSVue tagged: I suspect this will be coming eventually...

• NT Apocrypha:

• An Idiom Book of New Testament Greek by C. F. D. Moule: An old classic that would be nice to have in Accordance

• For my new Greek students (who may not remember their English grammar), I recommend:

•    Greenwood, Kyle. 2020. Dictionary of English Grammar for Students of Biblical Languages.
    •    Lamerson, Samuel. 2004. English Grammar to Ace New Testament Greek.

• Vocabulary of the Greek Testament by G. Milligan and James Hope Moulton: Another older classic but hopefully with the update by Loder.

• Intermediate Greek Grammar  by Matthewson and Emig would be a good addition to Accordance. I have Wallace's grammar in Accordance (which is great), but it can be rather dense for intermediate students, and Matthewson/Ewig is probably a better option.

That's ones I can think of for now...

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 11

43 minutes ago, mgvh said:
  • The Concise Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament by Frederick William Danker: This is an excellent entry level lexicon that is a big step up from the gloss lexicons and offers a different lexical view both from its big brother BDAG and something like the NT Word Study Dictionary. I would argue that this should be the lexicon included in the Hebrew & Greek Discoverer level library at least. (BTW, BibleWorks did have it, so it must be available.)

This should be number one on Accordance's acquisitions list.

• Like 5

Thanks for the feedback! Tagged Bibles (such as NRSVue) take quite a bit of time to do since they require some extensive work (not impossible, but they’re longer-term projects). The other modules are good to add to our list.

• Like 1

Some folks are asking for some very specialized items. What I don't understand is why Accordance cannot keep the major commentary series up-to-date. Take, for instance, the Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Updated volumes in that series have been available for many years. Of course, Logos has them. There is, I assume, some logical explanation as to why Accordance has not brought forth the updated volumes, but, though I have asked a couple of times, I have never received an answer. I would rather have updated volumes of the resources I already have than new features in the Accordance program itself.

Bill Combs.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wcombs said:

What I don't understand is why Accordance cannot keep the major commentary series up-to-date.

wcombs,

Do remember the diversity of Accordance users, as part of your explanation. A major reference work to one user is not even on the radar of another.

• Like 4

I’ll try to get an answer on commentary volumes. The short answer off the top of my head is there are all sorts of modules in the development list, and we have to prioritize which ones we know will sell to a broad variety of users and develop those first.

• Like 2

• Like 1

I want to see the updated version of New Dictionary of Theology. Had to dip into Logos to use the revised edition today. Accordance only has the older edition.

On 1/4/2023 at 4:09 AM, Joe Weaks said:

NRSVue-tagged

+1

• Like 1