Accordance User Marketing Survey

Dr. Nathan Parker

Now that I’ve joined the Accordance marketing team, I have a handful of questions I’d like to ask Accordance users. If you’ve answered some of this stuff in other forum threads, feel free to link to those respective threads as well. I’ll share the results with the rest of the marketing team.

1. What are the top five modules from Accordance you would purchase in 2023 in the event they were on sale?

2. What are the top few questions you’d like the Accordance staff to answer or clarify for you (I can’t promise too many specifics, but I will work to try to answer as many as possible)?

3. What are a few top pieces of feedback you’d like to give to Accordance for us to listen to (anything from the desktop/mobile apps to books, etc., “it’s your dime, spill it”).

4. If Accordance were to eventually completely overhaul and simplify the Accordance Primary Collections, what should the tier structure look like, and what key modules would need to be in each tier for you to consider purchasing such collections?

5. If Accordance were to eventually release new bundles based on denominations, theological positions, or fields of study, what should these various bundles look like, and what key modules should they include?

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Now that I’ve joined the Accordance marketing team, I have a handful of questions I’d like to ask Accordance users. If you’ve answered some of this stuff in other forum threads, feel free to link to those respective threads as well. I’ll share the results with the rest of the marketing team.

1. What are the top five modules from Accordance you would purchase in 2023 in the event they were on sale?

Congrats, Nathan. I'm glad to see your enthusiasm for Accordance being taken advantage of by the company! Best wishes for this work. The post I wrote yesterday gives my preferences. I would begin by the ones that have already been acknowledged as being placed on the acquisition list or that are already in the works.

• Like 1

Congrats, Nathan.

1. I don’t necessarily have a top 5

2.when a module is requested ,how do one know if it’s being considered, rejected or on its way? I’ve requested modules for a couple years with no response to some.

3. Is it possible at times to be able to purchase individual books out of a commentary series such as Anchor Yale?(I’ve asked this question before with no response)

4.N/A

5. I personally would like to see items from a messianic perspective such as Tim Hegg ect. I recently saw  something on the Quran in accordance I wasn’t sure how that got in there, but I would think that a messianic perspective would fall under a “denomination “. Happy New Year as well to all !

• Like 4

Congratulations Nathan

I think the first thing is to get Accordance 14 really rock solid and work out all the bugs before adding any other features.

In terms of the resources, I would like to see some tagging in terms of the authors theological outlook.

• Conservative or liberal
  • view on things such as Biblical age of the earth or long ages, accepts or rejects miracles, accepts Scripture as inerrant and actual Word of God or not.
  • More Screen shots to be able to see the writer's handling of the above or controversial subjects and of a size to be able to read them. As you know, some of the screen shots are so small, you cannot read anything there.

In terms of packages, is it feasible for a package to be put together by the customer from sub-packages or modules?

• Like 4

Congratulations.

I'm more interested in a sermon builder feature

2. What are the top few questions you’d like the Accordance staff to answer or clarify for you (I can’t promise too many specifics, but I will work to try to answer as many as possible)?

1. Why did the Info pane pericopes that used to link to either "outlines of Bible books' in non-tagged texts or notes in tagged texts disappear in 14?

2. Why can't there be a setting to choose either outlines or notes for the pericope heading?

3. Remember that time were going to have an Accordance web app? 

3. What are a few top pieces of feedback you’d like to give to Accordance for us to listen to (anything from the desktop/mobile apps to books, etc., “it’s your dime, spill it”).

1. We need a sermon builder feature with export and demographic capabilities

2. We need the ipad to sync immediately with the cloud and the desktop once there is a sermon builder

3. Why can't you scan a verse in print in the mobile app that saves into a reference list?

4. Why can't Accordance have more accessibilities for theological libraries and church staffs?

4. If Accordance were to eventually completely overhaul and simplify the Accordance Primary Collections, what should the tier structure look like, and what key modules would need to be in each tier for you to consider purchasing such collections?

1. There needs to be a pastor's collection that has solid commentaries like Tyndale, expositors, etc. at the various levels as well as strong with dictionaries and not so much linguistic tools. HINT: EXPAND YOUR BASE AMONG CHURCH LEADERS WITH CHURCH BUDGETS AND STAND BACK AND WATCH IT GROW OVER TIME

2. THERE NEEDS TO BE A STUDENT COLLECTION THAT IS CHEAP. LIKE $50 FOR undergraduates that has the MAP and timeline tool, BNK, and sermon tool. (if it ever happens) Students are a long-term investment.  HINT: most of them do not want to learn Greek or Hebrew, teach them how powerful Accordance is when they need it and can access it.

5. If Accordance were to eventually release new bundles based on denominations, theological positions, or fields of study, what should these various bundles look like, and what key modules should they include?

This should be LOW on your priority list.  Fix mobile, synchronization, and stability issues first

• Like 2

#1---would like to see Louw-Nida module tagged so that searches could include LN domains.

Moulton and Milligan Greek Vocab

Liddell-Scott 9th edition with supplement

• Like 4

1. NRSVue tagged, 2019 Book of Common Prayer

2. Roadmap for mobile? I have an m1 iPad pro. Other than the iOS restrictions, it should be able to do everything the mac version can do. I've recently been working through a book in the mobile app from the other company and have been surprised by how tedious it is to do some things that are really easy in Accordance. It's made me more appreciative of the simplicity of the Accordance mobile app. But I still miss features like Research. That's the big one for me, being able to search multiple tools at the same time. 

3. Prioritize stability over features. This is a program we use every day for studying the Bible, one of the most important things in our lives. It needs to just work. If you're excited about some new features but they're not quite ready, announce that they're coming. I don't mind pre-ordering. But the release needs to work. 

4/5. I'd say simplify the packages. It's hard for me to say what would get me to buy the lower packages since I already have a library built up, but too many options just gets confusing (same issue with the other company). If I was recommending a starter bundle to someone, definitely it needs to have a good tagged text, a good dictionary (not a really old one), and a good commentary. The current starter bundle is an incredibly good value, much better as a starting point than some other companies. Denominational bundles seem like a nice idea, but I get lost trying to compare them. One issue for me is that I use and value the insight across the spectrum, not just within my denomination. In terms of an Anglican bundle, one essential module should be the latest edition of the Book of Common Prayer (see point #1).

• Like 3

1. To complete the sets of other resources in accordance

my number one addition would be:

Jewish annotated apocrypha

i would really like a couple of atlases in the tim dowley/ nick rowland series for their excellent cartography and so i have the info available in one program. 

Atlas of world religions

Atlas of the biblical world (by our very own mark v hoffman)

other resources i would probably get are 

Old Testament Use of Old Testament: A Book-by-Book Guide by Gary E. Schnittjer

And the recently posted baker dictionary of the nt use of the ot

2. I really appreciate the weekly sales. 

when the sales come up, i often see new volumes added but they havent appeared in the module request list , yet ones that have been requested and have lots of requests still havent appeared so i wonder what the behind the scenes buying decisions are as it takes effort to get a module ready.

3. have standard checklists so when new modules are posted, they are properlyformatted, have all content that is in the hard copy such as translators notes, end pieces like maps etc and when posted web images are good, and resource details are complete. (Edit: From someone involved in quality assurance for over 40 years and combining software validation for over 30 years.)

get the missing translator notes etc added to existing resources please. 

4. i used the collections as my upgrade path and i think they are quite good. I also like the add on collections and think they need more prominence like the jps and lxx ones and would like to see more of them. 

5. having looked at other denominational targeted sets by competitors  ive never been impressed as they tend to include loads of resources i dont want so my feelings are if you really must, have them as smallish add ons. I struggle with the desire to pigeon hole. Perhaps this needs to be more focussed on seminar reading lists vBut looking at the current grouping on the new web site, im not sure that accordance has it right at the moment.  

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4

Answering Q3:

One of the things I really like about Accordance collections is the curation. Just about every resource in the collection is useful. Please keep doing this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

5. having looked at other denominational targeted sets by competitors  ive never been impressed as they tend to include loads of resources i dont want so my feelings are if you really must, have them as smallish add ons. I struggle with the desire to pigeon hole. 

+1

• Like 1

@Nathan Parker "Now that I’ve joined the Accordance marketing team ..."

Congratulations on your appointment. I like that you're engaging with the community on things the community is interested in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luckylou1980 said:

2.when a module is requested ,how do one know if it’s being considered, rejected or on its way? I’ve requested modules for a couple years with no response to some.

3. Is it possible at times to be able to purchase individual books out of a commentary series such as Anchor Yale?(I’ve asked this question before with no response)

Yes, yes and yes to these two!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ukfraser said:

when the sales come up, i often see new volumes added but they havent appeared in the module request list , yet ones that have been requested and have lots of requests still havent appeared so i wonder what the behind the scenes buying decisions are as it takes effort to get a module ready.

3. have standard checklists so when new modules are posted, they are properlyformatted, have all content that is in the hard copy such as translators notes, end pieces like maps etc and when posted web images are good, and resource details are complete.

get the missing translator notes etc added to existing resources please. 

5. having looked at other denominational targeted sets by competitors  ive never been impressed as they tend to include loads of resources i dont want so my feelings are if you really must, have them as smallish add ons. I struggle with the desire to pigeon hole. Perhaps this needs to be more focussed on seminar reading lists vBut looking at the current grouping on the new web site, im not sure that accordance has it right at the moment.  

+ 1 for these three things in particular (and nothing against the other ones, ukfraser!) 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Nathan,

Congrats. :) I know you really wanted this, so I am happy to hear you made it! 

Below are my answers:

I at first decided to ignore this thread, but the more I thought of it, the more I feel like it is important that the marketing department is aware of my thoughts. I know my answers reflect myself, as well as other customers. I hope this is helpful information for future improvements.

1. I frankly stopped reading the marketing emails after v.14 had so much instability. It has been a very frustrating experience since I frankly feel like I wasted my money with that “pre-order” thing without knowing what it even was. I had pre-ordered it because I thought it was going to be addressing the highlight issue, but after going to a webinar about the “Word Study” a few weeks ago, it sounds like that is the main thing about v.14. And if that is so, I literally never would have ordered it. I know from the forums that a lot of people really love the Word Study, so I think the team did a great job putting it together, and in the webinar when I saw it, I agree it looks nice. So I have nothing negative to say about the Word Study. It is rather that it is just not something I could ever personally use since what I am doing is very technical and requires more accuracy. Sort of for the same reason I rarely use construct searches or key numbers, I just really need pin-point accuracy, and that was not descriptive of the Word Study in the webinar. When I had pre-ordered it in September, I had planned to go to every webinar about it, but it is now literally January and the webinar about it is just now coming out. I have had months to think about this, and I have decided to not even download it since I cannot risk more corruption like people have had on the forums. I might go just out of curiosity, but frankly probably not. I am also very frustrated since I had started with v.12, and the highlight and note problems did not start until v.13, and now with v.14 there is more corruption. So what will v.15 look like? Even more corruption? I just really need the stability to be addressed. That is my main “feature” request.

2. a) Why hasn’t the highlight and note corruption been addressed? This was reported literally years ago multiple times by multiple people. I have lost MONTHS of work from highlight corruption and also note corruption. I pre-ordered v.14 since I had assumed it would be addressing the issues. 

b) Why can’t I export my own Notes and Tools I have created? These were written by me and it is my work. I have been instructed by the tech team in the past that the way I can export is by hand copying and pasting, but it takes literally months to do this because my notes are so vast, and also, I make changes to them. I need a way that I can click “export” and it exports (ideally to Mac Numbers) to a format that I can read. I would then be able to once a day click “export” and preserve my work. This has been such a problem that I have even considered just writing my notes somewhere else, but I REALLY love the Notes feature so I keep using them, EVEN THOUGH they have been corrupted on more than one occasion.

3. Stability is more important than new features!

4. I frankly have never understood the tier system well enough to be able to answer this, but something related that I will mention is that the Accordance Store really needs to be organized better. There have been multiple times when I have looked in the “search” to see if Accordance has a specific module, and there are no results, even though the store actually does have it. This has been spoken about on the forums on a few occasions, but I am not sure how to find the threads. If I search the forum for store library, I just get a bunch of unrelated threads about v.14 destroying people’s libraries, hence my answer in Q.1.

5. I agree with the answers ukfraser said. I like Jewish and world religions resources.

I hope these answers are helpful to Accordance. I came to Accordance after BibleWorks fell apart and it has been great since I really don’t like Logos, but at the moment I don’t think I could recommend the program because of the stability issues. If that was addressed, I for sure would, as I love the software and use it 7 days a week.

Kristin

• Like 5

1. What are the top five modules from Accordance you would purchase in 2023 in the event they were on sale? Anderson-Forbes (MT-AFD); Apostolic Fathers (AF-T); Montgomery Theology Bundle (JWM Theology_7); Greek Diagrams (GNT.T.diagram); MT-LXX Parallel.

3. What are a few top pieces of feedback you’d like to give to Accordance for us to listen to (anything from the desktop/mobile apps to books, etc., “it’s your dime, spill it”). I suppose I would like to see more development for the iOS version (the ability to edit notes would be killer).

I have no contributions for #2, 4 and 5.

Best wishes on your new work, Nathan. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Luckylou1980 said:

4.N/A

5. I personally would like to see items from a messianic perspective such as Tim Hegg ect. I recently saw  something on the Quran in accordance I wasn’t sure how that got in there, but I would think that a messianic perspective would fall under a “denomination “. Happy New Year as well to all !

I’ll find out what I can on #2 and #3. On #5, I agree these would be great. What other Messianic resources would you like to see? Like anything from FFOZ?

20 hours ago, Donald Cobb said:

Congrats, Nathan. I'm glad to see your enthusiasm for Accordance being taken advantage of by the company! Best wishes for this work. The post I wrote yesterday gives my preferences. I would begin by the ones that have already been acknowledged as being placed on the acquisition list or that are already in the works.

I’ll share that thread with marketing. Thanks!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Erhard said:

Congratulations Nathan

I think the first thing is to get Accordance 14 really rock solid and work out all the bugs before adding any other features.

In terms of the resources, I would like to see some tagging in terms of the authors theological outlook.

• Conservative or liberal
  • view on things such as Biblical age of the earth or long ages, accepts or rejects miracles, accepts Scripture as inerrant and actual Word of God or not.
  • More Screen shots to be able to see the writer's handling of the above or controversial subjects and of a size to be able to read them. As you know, some of the screen shots are so small, you cannot read anything there.

In terms of packages, is it feasible for a package to be put together by the customer from sub-packages or modules?

For question #1, is that stuff you’d want to see on the Accordance Store Website?

In terms of packages, I’ll ask.

10 hours ago, Dan Langston said:

I'm more interested in a sermon builder feature

1. Why did the Info pane pericopes that used to link to either "outlines of Bible books' in non-tagged texts or notes in tagged texts disappear in 14?

2. Why can't there be a setting to choose either outlines or notes for the pericope heading?

3. Remember that time were going to have an Accordance web app? 

1. We need a sermon builder feature with export and demographic capabilities

2. We need the ipad to sync immediately with the cloud and the desktop once there is a sermon builder

3. Why can't you scan a verse in print in the mobile app that saves into a reference list?

4. Why can't Accordance have more accessibilities for theological libraries and church staffs?

1. There needs to be a pastor's collection that has solid commentaries like Tyndale, expositors, etc. at the various levels as well as strong with dictionaries and not so much linguistic tools. HINT: EXPAND YOUR BASE AMONG CHURCH LEADERS WITH CHURCH BUDGETS AND STAND BACK AND WATCH IT GROW OVER TIME

2. THERE NEEDS TO BE A STUDENT COLLECTION THAT IS CHEAP. LIKE $50 FOR undergraduates that has the MAP and timeline tool, BNK, and sermon tool. (if it ever happens) Students are a long-term investment.  HINT: most of them do not want to learn Greek or Hebrew, teach them how powerful Accordance is when they need it and can access it.

This should be LOW on your priority list.  Fix mobile, synchronization, and stability issues first

Sounds good on #1. I’ll try to get answers to #2 and #3. On #4, we are working on new offerings for students, but nothing specific to announce yet. Good pointers on a pastor collection. On #5, that would be a different department, so we could continue working on the app while planning those collections.

10 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

2. Roadmap for mobile? I have an m1 iPad pro. Other than the iOS restrictions, it should be able to do everything the mac version can do. I've recently been working through a book in the mobile app from the other company and have been surprised by how tedious it is to do some things that are really easy in Accordance. It's made me more appreciative of the simplicity of the Accordance mobile app. But I still miss features like Research. That's the big one for me, being able to search multiple tools at the same time. 

3. Prioritize stability over features. This is a program we use every day for studying the Bible, one of the most important things in our lives. It needs to just work. If you're excited about some new features but they're not quite ready, announce that they're coming. I don't mind pre-ordering. But the release needs to work. 

4/5. I'd say simplify the packages. It's hard for me to say what would get me to buy the lower packages since I already have a library built up, but too many options just gets confusing (same issue with the other company). If I was recommending a starter bundle to someone, definitely it needs to have a good tagged text, a good dictionary (not a really old one), and a good commentary. The current starter bundle is an incredibly good value, much better as a starting point than some other companies. Denominational bundles seem like a nice idea, but I get lost trying to compare them. One issue for me is that I use and value the insight across the spectrum, not just within my denomination. In terms of an Anglican bundle, one essential module should be the latest edition of the Book of Common Prayer (see point #1).

I’ll see if we can get more info on mobile.

10 hours ago, ukfraser said:

3. have standard checklists so when new modules are posted, they are properlyformatted, have all content that is in the hard copy such as translators notes, end pieces like maps etc and when posted web images are good, and resource details are complete. (Edit: From someone involved in quality assurance for over 40 years and combining software validation for over 30 years.)

Thanks for this feedback!

I also agree on the denominational packages. Logos’ denominational base collections are way too confusing. I think simpler denominational addon bundles would be better if we decide to go for some.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Kristin said:

1. I frankly stopped reading the marketing emails after v.14 had so much instability. It has been a very frustrating experience since I frankly feel like I wasted my money with that “pre-order” thing without knowing what it even was. I had pre-ordered it because I thought it was going to be addressing the highlight issue, but after going to a webinar about the “Word Study” a few weeks ago, it sounds like that is the main thing about v.14. And if that is so, I literally never would have ordered it. I know from the forums that a lot of people really love the Word Study, so I think the team did a great job putting it together, and in the webinar when I saw it, I agree it looks nice. So I have nothing negative to say about the Word Study. It is rather that it is just not something I could ever personally use since what I am doing is very technical and requires more accuracy. Sort of for the same reason I rarely use construct searches or key numbers, I just really need pin-point accuracy, and that was not descriptive of the Word Study in the webinar. When I had pre-ordered it in September, I had planned to go to every webinar about it, but it is now literally January and the webinar about it is just now coming out. I have had months to think about this, and I have decided to not even download it since I cannot risk more corruption like people have had on the forums. I might go just out of curiosity, but frankly probably not. I am also very frustrated since I had started with v.12, and the highlight and note problems did not start until v.13, and now with v.14 there is more corruption. So what will v.15 look like? Even more corruption? I just really need the stability to be addressed. That is my main “feature” request.

2. a) Why hasn’t the highlight and note corruption been addressed? This was reported literally years ago multiple times by multiple people. I have lost MONTHS of work from highlight corruption and also note corruption. I pre-ordered v.14 since I had assumed it would be addressing the issues. 

b) Why can’t I export my own Notes and Tools I have created? These were written by me and it is my work. I have been instructed by the tech team in the past that the way I can export is by hand copying and pasting, but it takes literally months to do this because my notes are so vast, and also, I make changes to them. I need a way that I can click “export” and it exports (ideally to Mac Numbers) to a format that I can read. I would then be able to once a day click “export” and preserve my work. This has been such a problem that I have even considered just writing my notes somewhere else, but I REALLY love the Notes feature so I keep using them, EVEN THOUGH they have been corrupted on more than one occasion.

3. Stability is more important than new features!

4. I frankly have never understood the tier system well enough to be able to answer this, but something related that I will mention is that the Accordance Store really needs to be organized better. There have been multiple times when I have looked in the “search” to see if Accordance has a specific module, and there are no results, even though the store actually does have it. This has been spoken about on the forums on a few occasions, but I am not sure how to find the threads. If I search the forum for store library, I just get a bunch of unrelated threads about v.14 destroying people’s libraries, hence my answer in Q.1.

Great points. Watch my Accordance 14 Webinar video even if you can’t attend live, and I have another one on the Word Study I’ll put together. It is actually still useful for the non-scholar, as I’ll demonstrate. I believe you’ll find you’ll be able to use it and get some solid benefit out of it.

Your other feedbacks on user file corruption and exporting are very beneficial. I’ll pass those on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gary Pauley said:

1. What are the top five modules from Accordance you would purchase in 2023 in the event they were on sale? Anderson-Forbes (MT-AFD); Apostolic Fathers (AF-T); Montgomery Theology Bundle (JWM Theology_7); Greek Diagrams (GNT.T.diagram); MT-LXX Parallel.

3. What are a few top pieces of feedback you’d like to give to Accordance for us to listen to (anything from the desktop/mobile apps to books, etc., “it’s your dime, spill it”). I suppose I would like to see more development for the iOS version (the ability to edit notes would be killer).

Great info. Thanks for sharing!

The Baker Exegetical Commentary New Testament volumes I don't yet have (or an upgrade to the entire series)

Reformation Commentary on Scripture Upgrade

Zondervan Exegetical Commentary Series (Volumes I don't have or set upgrade)

I know there are others, but the store is so hard to navigate, it would take me too long to find them...

Are you still committed to releasing Accordance Cloud in the relatively near future, or has that been abandoned or shelved indefinitely? Why don't you use your YouTube channel for more content? Any chance Accordance will be resuming its podcast style format that ended when Dr. J left?

The iPad app needs a complete overhaul. Navigating is too cumbersome, sorting books in the library takes too long, there is no way to surface commentaries or other resources that deal the verses/topics in the text, atlas, timeline, and diagrams need functionality, you have to stay on the download page while resources download, etc.

My library is pretty mature, so I doubt the primary collections would be of interest to me.

That's too big of a question for me to have time to wade into, but I'd be curious to see what they come up with.