Accordance Note Taking Discussion

Greg Terry

I have experimented with user tool and spreadsheets/tables do not work they become one huge column. Also using tabs to separate columns does not work either.  It is a clumsy to use to say the least. After suffering from bashing my head on a brick wall I would stick with numbers if I were you.  Tools work for simple sentences/notes and links but not much else.  For example: I have toyed with developing a summary user tool for Hebrew accents but need to use images combined with user tools titles to get the job done. If user tools would retain spreadsheet / word processor formats (even via pdf) then it would be a wonderful tool but sadly it is not. I use Accordance for its original language capabilities which are indispensable to me.

I wonder if Mellel or Scrivener would offer better outlining?

@Kristin Yes it does keep the links, though i only tried with logseq export only. I actually only keep my notes in logseq by copy and pasting from accordance into logseq rather than the other way around because in Logseq  if i mention Exodus 01 or anything for that matter  and it's a page then it will show up in my linked and unlinked references section down in the bottom. It's like doing an infer search on all your notes if that makes sense. For example, I did a study on the rich young ruler couple of months ago and when i go to the rich young ruler page it shows  two references one that i linked and one i did not link. It's a game changer if you are in bible college or seminary or doing any type of research. 

Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 7.18.24 PM.png

• Like 1

A question on Accordance including the Bibliography information when pasting into One Note.

When I paste a quote into Word it works properly but the citation information is not copied if I paste it into One Note. If I do the same with a quote from a Logos resource, it does paste the information. Is there something that I am missing or is this an Accordance thing?

What version of Accordance and OneNote (and OS version)? I just installed OneNote across my devices, so I could test this.

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

What version of Accordance and OneNote (and OS version)? I just installed OneNote across my devices, so I could test this.

This is the One Note (newest version not the one that is labelled Windows 10) Microsoft office Business 2021

Windows 11 and Acc 14.0.4

Great. I’ll try it on mine next time I’m on my PC.

Copy as Citation and Bibliography work for both Word and OneNote for Me on Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11.

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

Copy as Citation and Bibliography work for both Word and OneNote for Me on Accordance 14.0.4 on Windows 11.

Do you get the reference included? I also tried it in Obsidian and from Accordance the text copies but not the reference.

On your computer, when you copy from a tool, such as a commentary, is the footnote in accordance font or does it conform to the Word document? On mine it is always in the Accordance font, even when the tool text is something other than Accordance.

@Nathan Parker

this is what it looks like on my Windows 10 computer, same thing as the 11

Notice that Logos has the reference but Accordance does not.

image.thumb.png.8256045fff4dddd59eb7f90f49ae8d5b.png

On 4/1/2023 at 1:31 AM, john_2022 said:

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried Onenote? I know that is more of a Windows thing. Apple has its Notes app which is smaller and simpler ... I don't know if it could handle everything you are doing.

Onenote has a unified interface, handles many different file types, and basically creates its own folder structure to organize all of your notes. It was an amazing program when it used to be a stand-alone Windows program. But microsoft has all but destroyed it by trying to turn it into a web app that runs on different platforms. But I think it still runs natively on Windows in certain circumstances.

Years ago I tried real hard to find a good alternative. I remember trying out Evernote. But I still have huge amounts of my own notes in text files scattered all over my computer :)

I think you mentioned a lot of your notes are in text files? I used to be pretty proficient with Windows. And Windows would (or could be made to) index any type of file that the indexing service had a filter for. Pretty sure there were filters for text and excel files installed by default. This allowed you to use Windows explorer to search through your entire folder or drive using simple text search.

I am not as proficient on a Mac yet ... but I suspect that Microsoft copied all of that from the Finder in Mac. Explorer was essentially a copy of the Mac Finder program. Early versions of Windows had "File Manager" which was very limited.

Maybe some company needs to come up with a Note taking program that works specifically for Scripture notes?

OneNote on Windows is a great program for what I do.  You are right, they tried turning it into a web app, and there was enough feedback that they kept the desktop app (which is what I use) and they are actually going to use that as the foundation going forward.  So you might consider giving it another look.  The ease of organizing information in any way you want and the ability to very quickly search all my notes makes it very useful for me at least.

Years ago I started keeping my exegetical notes in MS Word, because I wanted the capabilities of a full word processor.  I used Bibleworks for many years, even though the note taking was good, I ended up having BW open and a Word doc open and would paste the Greek or Hebrew into the Word doc and write my notes there.

I suspect we all have a way of working that we like the best, and more power to you, but this topic caught my eye and I wanted to chime in with my 2 cents.

Blessings to you all in Christ.  He is risen!

• Like 1

@Erhard In Word, copying as citation gives me the footnote in the proper format for a paper (at the bottom of the page). In OneNote, it does place the footnote underneath the paragraph. It’s not doing what yours is doing. I can share you screenshots of what I’m seeing. This one might need a look at from Tech Support.

14 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

@Erhard In Word, copying as citation gives me the footnote in the proper format for a paper (at the bottom of the page). In OneNote, it does place the footnote underneath the paragraph. It’s not doing what yours is doing. I can share you screenshots of what I’m seeing. This one might need a look at from Tech Support.

Hi Nathan

I tried it on a couple more computers and one of them did it properly . I checked the export settings to see what was different. It has to do with the settings in the Bibliography section. If you check "Insert citation only as a footnote, then it works in Word to put the information in the footer. With that setting, it does not enter the information in OneNOte. If you uncheck it, then it puts the information right under the quote and not in the footer in Word, but you do get it in One Note. Is this something they could look into? It would be a bit of a pain to have to change that all the time depending on where you want to paste.

Have you checked to see what font the footnote is in Word? On mine it is always Accordance instead of the default Word font for the document. I do not recall this issue in V 13 though.

image.png.749e58132dcd66d347e2779a65a7e17e.png

12 hours ago, john_2022 said:

I like local programs and local data. I dislike programs that I have to "purchase", yet "call home" for permission to run.

I still have a couple of computers that run Office 2007 and they work just fine. My main one runs 2021. I really like the way OneNote is set up and the way you can organize things in it. It also has some good features like a built in translator, a tool to look for pictures on line and insert them. I tried Obsidian too, but that seems to work better for linking sources and ideas. I also want my files local, but I do put the notes folder and the Accordance file folder in my Sync folder so that it syncs across by devices.

Insert Citation Only as Footnote isn’t checked on my system. I thought it was. 

I’d like to see a way where we could have multiple citation types, one as a “footnote” and one as “inline”. That might be a good feature request.

I believe there’s still a way to locally open OneNote notebooks in the latest versions of OneNote for Windows, but not Mac or iOS. I could try it and see.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Insert Citation Only as Footnote isn’t checked on my system. I thought it was. 

I’d like to see a way where we could have multiple citation types, one as a “footnote” and one as “inline”. That might be a good feature request.

I believe there’s still a way to locally open OneNote notebooks in the latest versions of OneNote for Windows, but not Mac or iOS. I could try it and see.

Yes, on my computer, I have both versions of OneNote. I use the one that is local.

You could try downloading from this site  https://www.onenote.com/download

they seem to have various operating system options.

Will you request the feature or should I put something in?

Did you check the font type of the footnote in Word? On mine it is always Accordance font instead of the default.

I need to double check the font. I can make that feature request if you want me to.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nathan Parker said:

I need to double check the font. I can make that feature request if you want me to.

That would be great, thanx

Got the feedback filed. My Word test is giving me both the footnote and the text itself as “Accordance” font instead of the doc’s default font.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

This would be really helpful. +1 !

The body of the citation is fine, you just need to paste it using "merge" formatting, the middle option.

The issue is that the body is fine, but the footnote is not. Note the screenshot. The top is Accordance, the bottom Logos.

Word default is set to merge formatting. The text is good on both, but Accordance does not match the footnote font as Logos does. I do not recall V13 having this issue, but do not have V13 set up any more on my computers. It would be interesting to see if the Mac version of Word does the same thing. If you paste using "text only", you lose the footnote. I will post this in Windows bugs as well.

image.thumb.png.742ea38d56aec25234ac40c1cf2cc5df.png

I can test it on my Mac with Word. If someone with 13 for Windows and 13 for Mac can test this out and see if this did somehow change in 14, that would be great to know!

• Like 1

Works the same as Windows on 14 on my Mac.

• Like 1