Import from Olive Tree app

Cmo

I have recently purchased Accordance after years of using Olive Tree. Is there a way to import my notes from there into Accordance?

Edited by Cmo
Typo

At the OliveTree site you can log in and export your notes in CSV format, but there is no direct way to import them to Accordance. You can take the CSV and create individual files, one per verse and import them, but the conversion from OliveTree CSV to individual verse notes is up to you. 

• Like 2

Our Import Notes feature was made For BibleWorks users and imports an RTF notes structure. I wonder if there would be any way to convert the CSV file to RTF to import them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, R. Mansfield said:

Our Import Notes feature was made For BibleWorks users and imports an RTF notes structure. I wonder if there would be any way to convert the CSV file to RTF to import them?

Programmatically, this is pretty trivial. My only thought is how many of these Accordance wishes to support. In reality, there is a pretty limited number of Bible softwares out there that have a large enough user base, so it wouldn't be too much. But I blather and I'm not the one allocating programming resources. 

21 minutes ago, R. Mansfield said:

I guess this can be adapted for the CSV from the other Bible software.

@Fabian, for sure. CSV is just a plain text file. If one can be done, modifying for the format of any other is even easier. 

A competent Python programmer could write a script to convert the CSV to a directory of RTF files ready for import. Python already includes a CSV parser. Here’s a script I wrote to chop up a markdown file into individual notes at every level 3 heading: https://gitlab.com/jlmp/acc-great-commentary/-/blob/master/code/mkRTFnotes.py

It opens a pipe to pandoc to write each RTF file (see lines 45-54). I did that because I needed to parse markdown from the file. So the script could loop over the lines of the CSV file, and then write an RTF file for each note like I do. If the CSV just contains plain text notes, you could write valid RTF by just inserting the note text in an RTF template.

So, this is a programming job, but it’s not one that only Oaktree can do.

• Like 3