Research query does not search Greek UB

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Acc 13

Win 10 and Mac

While researching Greek research queries for another forum query yesterday https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/30178-single-search-all-greek-texts/?p=147953I realized that my Sinaiticus UB was not appearing in Greek Research queries against my Greek Texts group. Untagged Greek texts do but not this one, which is of course also untagged. My guess is that it is excluded because Research doesn't know that this is a Greek text.

Now, if I search with Unicode against this group it only shows hits from my UB not Accordance Greek texts. So clearly it can search the UB Unicode Greek text, subject to constraints on certain characters - refer https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/30184-searching-for-lunate-sigma-in-user-bible/.

So:

1. Could we have the Unicode search translate the search to the Accordance encoding and search the non-Unicode texts along with the Unicode UB ones ?

2. Could we have the Greek/Hebrew/Syriac etc searches translate the search to Unicode and search any Unicode UBs/texts in the same group ?

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hello Δ

There are different things thats going on here. 

1. You have done your user Bible before the ability came it renders to the Greek. 

2. I don't have tell you this before, because first a feature request I have done must be fulfilled from Accordance. The ability to have Latin words in Greek texts. Accordance have this for their own texts but it is not possible now for us. I hope this come in the next release. Maybe you have then to put the non Greek text in another color. 

3. But try to import your UB with the newest Accordance. If you get an error like the one from https://forums.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/30180-issue-with-bible-import-when-verses-start-with-markup/you see the solution below.

Fabian

Reimporting did not affect the Research query behaviour.

Thx

D

You mean it is still unicode? If so then you have a character that forces Accordance not to import it with the Helena font.

I haven't checked the imported file content to see if it is in fact Unicode but it really shouldn't be important - the content is Greek and should be searchable via Research along with other Greek texts.

But as a possible workaround are you saying that a UB that is converted to Helena will in fact be searchable as a Greek text via the Research feature ?

Thx

D

Yes. (but at the moment it is not possible to have Greek Helena and Latin characters in the same file. But as you can guess I have requested it.)

SBLGNT 

post-32723-0-56861000-1611520804_thumb.jpg

But I had to remove some siglas. (The one that are not supported otherwise it came as unicode).

Edited by Fabian

Ah, but that cannot happen with this text because I have in English in parentheses the HMT verse references at the start of the verses:

Gen. 22:1 ¶  (Sin. 22:1) και εγενετο μ̣ε̣τ̣α̣
 τα ρηματα  [αυτ] τα̣ ·
  επειραϲεν  ο̣  []
 τον  [α]  [μ] βραα  [και]  [ει] πεν προϲ  [ον] αυτ̣
 αβρααμ αβρααμ̣
 ο δε ειπεν · ϊδου  [γω] ε̣

That is probably what is preventing the conversion.

So, my original request stands though it's probably technical a feature request

Thx

D

Ah, but that cannot happen with this text because I have in English in parentheses the HMT verse references at the start of the verses:

Gen. 22:1 ¶  (Sin. 22:1) και εγενετο μ̣ε̣τ̣α̣

τα ρηματα  [αυτ] τα̣ ·

επειραϲεν  ο̣  []

τον  [α]  [μ] βραα  [και]  [ει] πεν προϲ  [ον] αυτ̣

αβρααμ αβρααμ̣

ο δε ειπεν · ϊδου  [γω] ε̣

That is probably what is preventing the conversion.

So, my original request stands though it's probably technical a feature request

Thx

D

As the Arabic Bible is in an Accordance font, but the Arabic Quran not. This would be helpful for Accordance too. 

I guess the preventing is something different. As in the conversion right now the Latin goes to Greek. Like Γεν. 22 or Σιν 22:1. I guess there are other characters that are not accepted.

On the other hand, my feature request to be able to mix Greek and Latin characters. Like the Critical Edition of Q has.

And if Accordance would make this text would be on my side also a good solution.

Best all 3:-)

Edited by Fabian

Hello Δαν

You have to modify your text. 

The > is to replace with the one from the Character Palette. >

The high point ˙ is to replace with ? Maybe you find something on the Character Palette. 

The Apostroph ʼ you use is to replace with the one from the Character Palette. 

The sub dot  ̣ ( the one which is alone)  is to replace 

Maybe the high dot · is to replace form the one from the Character Palette.

Maybe you find in the Font PDF more than what is listed in the Character Palette. 

Then the import should work. 

post-32723-0-87106400-1611525322_thumb.png

Fabian

Edited by Fabian