search within a reference list

Kristin

I understand that I can search for a word in a text, but I am looking to search for a word from a list of certain verses (the range command wouldn't work here). So I created a Reference List with my verses, but then I don't seem to actually do anything with the reference list. Is there a way to search for words within a Reference List, and if so, how is it done?

Thanks,

Kristin

the way I do this is with a CONTENTS command. create a reference list, then go to a search tab and insert the contents command. Insert the terms you are searching for, followed by the 'AND [CONTENTS reference list]

for ex.  high priest <AND> [CONTENTS Reference List]

• Thanks 2

Hey Kristin, the contents command should work for you, but so should the range command. Why do you think it wouldn't work?

Hi @Ken Simpson,

Thanks for clarifying, and regarding why it hadn't been working, I had been trying to do something within the Reference List itself. So for example, I created a new Reference List, then within that I was searching for somewhere to put a word to search for, or a verse to search for, but I didn't seem to be able to do anything within the Reference List.

The idea @mbcvida mentioned above had not occurred to me since the results were not what I had expected. In his example he mentioned:

high priest <AND> [CONTENTS Reference List]

And he was correct, and that worked. However, the reason I had not previously tried that is because I had thought opening an ESV and searching  "high priest <AND> [CONTENTS Reference List]" would have included "high priest" in all instances of the ESV, AND all instances of the Reference List.

In reality, the "AND" command seems to actually exclude what is not on the Reference List, but that is fine now that I know what it means.

I hope that makes sense. :)

Kristin

Hey Kristin, AND as an operator always means the item must appear in both locations. When I get the chance I’ll show you how to do it using the search bar without CONTENTS. But CONTENTS is very good!

Another Thread! Great question and Great answers!

Here's a little movie about how to use your reference list as the range for the RANGE command. Obviously the one I have done would be the same as doing a simple AND search, but if the reference list is a curated list, then this works really well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1