Dagesh Hidden on Final Chaf's

blgriffin83

I've noticed that the dagesh on the final chaf is hidden or very hard to see on the final chaf in ויחנך (image attached). Is there perhaps another font option for the Hebrew that would change that?

Hidden Dagesh.png

I would like to search for any final kaphs that have a dagesh - for life of me cannot figure out a search string for this

12 hours ago, blgriffin83 said:

I've noticed that the dagesh on the final chaf is hidden or very hard to see on the final chaf in ויחנך (image attached). Is there perhaps another font option for the Hebrew that would change that?

Hidden Dagesh.png

It would be awesome to be able to change the display font for Hebrew and Greek texts. That's never been a feature of Accordance, and at this point, I doubt it ever will be.

• Like 1

@blgriffin83, what Hebrew Bible are you using? All of my Hebrew Bibles display it correctly. Perhaps you need to update your Bibles? Or perhaps this is a bug. Doesn't seem like it would be a bug, though.

image.thumb.png.c7c8dbed8cd2e65926fdae63c287397d.png

I'm having the same font issue. I've selected "Clean Up Installed Fonts" when launching in safe mode, but it didn't fix the issue. This image is from the HMT-W4image.png.9fe0350b675986170faeb51c18ebfc21.png

@Jordan S I see the same phenomenon as @blgriffin83 in HMT-W4. I see the correct rendering in BHS-T, MT-AFD, MT-ETCBC, MT-ETCBC-A.

Accordance for Mac 14.0.9, macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

I see. Looks like you guys are probably running HMT-W4 (Version 2.2) with Westminster v. 4.20. I can confirm that it is wrong on my other laptop that is running version 2.2.

On this laptop, I'm running HMT-W4 (Version 3.0) with Westminster v. 4.22. I thought that was supposed to be released nearly a year and a half ago when I still worked for Accordance. This was an update to the morphology and other miscellaneous fixes (like this, I'm guessing) which I can't recall. @David Lang?

image.thumb.png.f435b846758eee8436122eaeb8f38687.png

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Jordan S said:

thought that was supposed to be released nearly a year and a half ago

SMH

• Sad 1

@Jordan S you are correct. I have version 2.2 of HMT-W4. Version 3.0 does not show up in Check for Content Updates.

@Dr. Nathan Parker perhaps you can check on the release of version 3.0 of HMT-W4.

I'll check.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I'll check.

We've been waiting for a response from David for more than six months now regarding the release of version 3.0 HMT-W4.  This version 3.0 has came up in several other threads on the forum.  So, good luck.

I've also asked management.

13 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

It would be awesome to be able to change the display font for Hebrew and Greek texts. That's never been a feature of Accordance, and at this point, I doubt it ever will be.

Please @Dr. Nathan Parker could you add this to a to-do list? I love this feature in Logos and miss it in Accordance.

14 hours ago, mbcvida said:

I would like to search for any final kaphs that have a dagesh - for life of me cannot figure out a search string for this

Would also like to know how to do this - I can do searches with and without the Dagesh but how to force a final letter only search?

I would think this would work to find a final kaph with a dagesh. But it doesn't. Maybe @David Lang or @Jordan S know a way? 

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 7.36.38 AM.png

@Mark Allison, what you suggested will find a kaph that is the final letter in a lexeme in a "word search." You are having difficulty because pronominal suffixes are not treated as lexemes in Accordance, and also the "Letters" search only searches for consonants. I believe you are only going to find this using the tag: [SUFFIX second masc sing energicNun]. This suffix generally occurs with yiqtol verbs (79 out of 90; participle 4x's; Wayyiqtol 3x's; InfConst 3x's; and qatal 1x). See Lambdin, §192: Object Suffixes on the Imperfect. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jordan S said:

"Letters" search only searches for consonants

Whoops. I forgot that. Thanks for the reply!

@Accordance Enthusiast Does this work for you or do I need to file something?

Even using Jordan's suffix search, I can't find a way to make it find a dagesh.... 

I can do the suffix search easily, but nothing I have tried will locate the dagesh

On 2/14/2024 at 6:47 PM, blgriffin83 said:

I searched for all final kaphs that immediately precede the sof pasuk  in 1-2 Samuel that have a dagesh. I searched the AF text with the ETCBC text in parallel (AF does not display accents). I noted in the examples I got that this particular feature seems to occur when the word attached to the suffix has a seghol vowel and a meteg accent.  I would like to search for all examples but have not discovered how to find the dagesh in the final kaph. Would the Masorah have such information?

Here are my samples - Gen 12.1; Num 6.25; 1 Sam 11.1; 12.10; 15.28; 2 sam 13.13

UPDATE I searched for the vowel meteg combination and there were an abundance that did not contain the dagesh in the final kaph 

Edited by mbcvida
update

1 hour ago, mbcvida said:

I can do the suffix search easily, but nothing I have tried will locate the dagesh

It actually seems to work reasonably well using a Hebrew construct with the suffix and a dagesh.

While it's hard to see because of the font issues, I am pretty sure all the final kaph's here do have a dagesh.

Screenshot2024-02-17at14_05_58.thumb.png.105e1998d87b84c3051009c9bd3aa43a.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
additional info
  • Thanks 2

Brilliant! I never thought of using the construct

@Ken Simpson thanks so much it works indeed! (I just needed to change from LETTERS search to WORDS search). Compare with ETCBC and it is clear that they have a dagesh.

@Dr. Nathan Parker there is no problem here, Ken Simpson's search works great.

image.thumb.png.97df0872fc5cd0a69d253e23a70578c5.png

• Like 1