What is Your Favorite Commentary?

Dr. Nathan Parker

I'll email it to you today.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 7:46 PM, Brian K. Mitchell said:

My favorite Accordance module commentaries:

(1) BHQ: Commentary (this is a running commentary on the Massora (and textual decisions) that comes with each volume of the BHQs)

(2) The Torah: A Modern Commentary: Revised Edition

Pub ID:  Torah Modern Commentary / Publisher:  URJ Press

(3) Commentary on the Old Testament (Keil & Delitzsch) (10 Volumes)

Prod ID: Keil & Delitzsch / Pub. Hendrickson Publishers

My favorite commentaries that I do not 'yet' own in Accordance buy own else where:

(1) JPS Torah Commentary (5 volumes)

Prod ID: JPS Torah Commentary / Pub. Jewish Publication Society 

(2) Commentators’ Bible, The (Set of 5 Volumes): The Rubin JPS Miqra'ot Gedolot

Pub ID:  Commentators Bible Set 5 / Publisher:  Jewish Publication Society

(3) Metzger: A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

Pub ID:  Metzger Text Commentary / Publisher:  Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft (German Bible Society)

(4) Word Biblical Commentary: 61-Volume Set Pub ID:  WBC-61 Set / Publisher:  Zondervan Academic

(5) New Intl. Greek Testament Commentary (13 Volumes) Prod ID: NIGTC-13 / Pub. Wm. B. Eerdmans 

You prefer Metzger to Comfort on the textual variants?

What I want in a NT commentary, is a commentator who learned Greek as a child & mastered the entire ancient Greek corpus, which indicates a British commentator of the 19th century (like Alford or Bloomfield) who posts the Greek text at the top of each page & comments below.)  Though I don't agree with Alford's soteriology, yet I can open him & hum, "What's it all about, Alfy," Are there any modern commentators who learned Greek as a child & are familiar with the entire ancient Greek corpus, so that when they come to a verse in Paul, they can say, Q: This expression in Paul is very much like what Polybius says in Book III, 10.2.3 in discussing the Mixed Constitution of the Roman Republic.  His use of the intransitive 2nd Aorist in discussing Scipio's confrontation with Antiochus Epiphanes, is very much the same. /Q  Who is alive who can do that?

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Enoch said:

You prefer Metzger to Comfort on the textual variants?

Metzger is the one generally recommended to students or scholars (or Bible translators).

Comfort is "for the rest of us".

I use both and love both. You can't go wrong with either or both. I'd probably recommend Comfort, then Metzger, then get into the high-end stuff once you learn Greek.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 9:48 PM, ukfraser said:

I love the infographic bible by karen sawrey

I don't think that is available in Accordance where I prefer to consolidate the material I study these days.

6 hours ago, cweber said:

I don't think that is available in Accordance where I prefer to consolidate the material I study these days.

Like you, i like to consolidate all my resources but there are just a few that i doubt will come to accordance so i need them elsewhere.  The infographics bible is not, i did request it many moons ago but there wasnt any interest from others. Having said that, its one of those resources that is actually very good as a dead tree version so im happy to have it beside my chair along with my common worship and times and seasons for easy access.

Edited by ukfraser

Feel free to tag me in the post and I can see if interest revives.

There's a few study Bibles I keep both in print and Accordance (Thompson, plus I just purchased Charles Stanley's Life Principles Bible in KJV and gave my NKJV one to my brother), and I still have a Scofield I may keep in print since the Accordance version doesn't have the textual notes yet.

I had a larger collection of study Bibles, but they were ones I weren't using much, and 100% of that content is in Accordance. I gave them all away as gifts and consolidated everything in Accordance.

I am regularly asked for info about best commentaries on NT books. Here are my lists:

I also point people to the Best Bible Commentaries site which gives lots of information on the background and purpose of each commentary and on commentary series. You can choose a biblical book (e.g., Mark) and filter by academic level, theological view, and whether it is available in Accordance (or Logos or Olive Tree).

I would have a different set of recommendations for deeper Greek work. E.g., volumes from these series: Baylor Handbooks on the Greek Text, Baker Exegetical, NIGTC, SIL Exegetical, Exegetical Guide to the GNT. (Those are links to the series in Accordance. I do wish Accordance would get the rest of the EGGNT works now available.)

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 6:45 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Metzger is the one generally recommended to students or scholars (or Bible translators).

Comfort is "for the rest of us".

I use both and love both. You can't go wrong with either or both. I'd probably recommend Comfort, then Metzger, then get into the high-end stuff once you learn Greek.

So are as I know, Metzger covers only or little more than the USB edition variants. And he seems primarily interested in explaining why the USB editors chose the variant they chose.  Am I wrong?

I'd need to brush up on it, but I think he primarily covers the UBS variants. Comfort also covers major English versions which is super handy.

The ones I like best are The Expositor's Bible Commentary (Revised), the Bible Speaks Today, Reformed Expository Commentary, Calvin's Commentary, The Pillar New Testament Commentary, and The New American Commentary.

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 4:04 AM, Enoch said:

Metzger covers only or little more than the USB edition variants. And he seems primarily interested in explaining why the USB editors chose the variant they chose. 

Yes, and this is precisely what I like about his commentary. Metzger's commentary gives me an insider's view of the UBS/NA textual committee and allows me to almost experience the process that the committee went through. I can gain a better understanding of the various opinions and maybe even discussions the committee had.

Dollar for dollar the SIL series has payed the greatest dividends for me. 

• Like 2