What is Your Favorite Commentary?

Dr. Nathan Parker

What is your favorite commentary? It can be single volume or a set, and whether it's in Accordance or not.

For a non-technical, I love Butler's Analytical Bible Expositor. As exegetical, I really love Baker's Exegetical NT.

Matthew Henry Commentary and MacArthur NT Commentary are definitely my favorites.

MacArthur NT is a great one.

• Like 1

It depends what and why I am studying but as I like my information with an underlying structure, typically I will use:  

WBC in combination with NIVAC and the

NT use of the OT and the JPS volumes when relevant. 

For a single volume i may use the oxford bible commentary as it works well with the nrsv if i dont have much time and need something a little more detailed than a study bible.

In most cases i will first use the ESV and JSB/JANT study bibles for an aerial view and then move to the above when i have time to dig and have got my orientation sorted.

This usually includes the holman bible atlas as you cant get lost with a good map!!!!

(I have other commentaries but dont get on with their unstructured approach.)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Actually really depends and will compare few whilst reading a passage to compare for that book  

In general I like the NIGTC for being helpful if the Greek is a bit tricky and the Wisdom commentary for a fresh and challenging perspective.

For the Tanakh - I like IECOT - but it is very limited in books available.

For a more comprehensive range which covers most books  I will often start with Hermeneia -

(though to be honest a little of my personal preference is determined by whether the commentary transliterates or uses Hebrew/Greek/Aramaic script - personally, I find commentaries with the transliterated text a bit irritating an more difficult to use) 

and I will often use others if they are better for that passage/book.

As others have said, the precise "favorite" commentary I go to at any particular time depends on the context. However, the commentary I have configured in Instant Details is EBC Revised, so I'm always consulting that regularly. :)

• Like 1

Anchor - I accept I might be the only person to say that - the JPS volumes are also brilliant as is Forms of OT literature

on the subject of commentaries I am sure there are now several Hermeneia volume published which would be great if we could get

• Like 4

If I am looking for a quick answer, I go to Tyndale. If the book is covered I like the ZECOT & NT. NIVAC is always on top of the list and my new-found favorite is the Ancient Christian Commentary. Of course, you can't forget the background commentaries I have Zondervan & IVP. I like the IVP better, though if I need pictures it is Zondervan's. I am looking forward to digging into the Bible in Medieval Tradition commentary

I have so many and love them all, but for a non-technical commentary, Holman Bible Commentary may be the best kept secret and best value in Accordance. 

• Like 1

As I am, at this point, more interested in technical points of the original languages, NICOT, NIGTC, UBS Handbook, Anchor (which I don't have in Accordance yet), JPS, and WORD are used more regularly. For exegetical insights, Ancient Christian Commentary (although very limited in scope) is one I read often.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daniel Wagner said:

Holman Bible Commentary

I have this, but I hardly ever look at it ... I might have to start.

Are you familiar with the song, What's It All About, Alfy?

• Like 1

This entirely depends on the book and the purpose of the study. Right now I'm finishing up work on the pastorals and my main commentaries have been Marshall's ICC volume, Mounce WBC, Dibelius and Conzelmann's Hermenia volume, Witherington's Socio Rhetorical commentary, Luke Timothy Johnson's Anchor volume, and Porter's new commentary. 

I'm also gearing up for work on GLuke. For Luke, Nolan WBC is fantastic. Wolter's commentary, Fitzmyer's ABC, Bock BECNT, Plummer ICC, Marshall NIGTC, Green NICNT, Danker's little commentary Jesus and the New Age, Bovon's three Hermenia volumes, and LTJ's volume in Sacra Pagina are all regular conversation partners. But commentaries are generally overrated despite how much I adore them. The real treasure is in monographs and journal articles. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Enoch said:

Are you familiar with the song, What's It All About, Alfy?

Back in the early 1980's my wife and I went to a concert that headlined Dionne Warkwick. She sang many of her songs, but not that one. As an aside, Lou Rawls also performed. It was a terrific evening at the outdoor Pacific Amphitheatre.

• Like 1

Since most of my study is focused on teaching in a "Sunday School" environment, I find the NIVAC works best as my primary resource. I use the WBC as well to expand on technical issues since I have not studied the original languages.

My favorite Accordance module commentaries:

(1) BHQ: Commentary (this is a running commentary on the Massora (and textual decisions) that comes with each volume of the BHQs)

(2) The Torah: A Modern Commentary: Revised Edition

Pub ID:  Torah Modern Commentary / Publisher:  URJ Press

(3) Commentary on the Old Testament (Keil & Delitzsch) (10 Volumes)

Prod ID: Keil & Delitzsch / Pub. Hendrickson Publishers

My favorite commentaries that I do not 'yet' own in Accordance buy own else where:

(1) JPS Torah Commentary (5 volumes)

Prod ID: JPS Torah Commentary / Pub. Jewish Publication Society 

(2) Commentators’ Bible, The (Set of 5 Volumes): The Rubin JPS Miqra'ot Gedolot

Pub ID:  Commentators Bible Set 5 / Publisher:  Jewish Publication Society

(3) Metzger: A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament

Pub ID:  Metzger Text Commentary / Publisher:  Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft (German Bible Society)

(4) Word Biblical Commentary: 61-Volume Set Pub ID:  WBC-61 Set / Publisher:  Zondervan Academic

(5) New Intl. Greek Testament Commentary (13 Volumes) Prod ID: NIGTC-13 / Pub. Wm. B. Eerdmans 

• Like 1

can't recommend the JPS Torah highly enough not the Commentators but you can't replicate the rabbinic layout in Accordance so I use this in print and then refer in accordance if I want to quote a section

IMG_6113.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/15/2024 at 4:10 PM, Leopold Green said:

Anchor - I accept I might be the only person to say that - the JPS volumes are also brilliant as is Forms of OT literature

on the subject of commentaries I am sure there are now several Hermeneia volume published which would be great if we could get

No, not the only one. The Yale Anchor Bible, the Hermeneia, and the JPS commentaries are definitely the best commentaries from a scholarly perspective. At least among the ones that I've used. 

• Like 4

I read a few, but currently enjoying Boice and the Interpretation (Paul J. Achtemeier) commentaries. I also tend to have the ESV Archaeology study Bible open. I aim for some level of technical and graphical context as I study, but Boice is an easy read and I like his delivery. I do have a lot of material in Accordance now and will frequent IVP too for example. I have been using a print of MacArthur Bible and now have the MacArthur NT Accordance module will start reading that.

With so many options now, it is incredible. I had to spend significant time vetting through my libraries to rule out what I was least interested in to reduce the list, a privileged position to be in. I do not attend a Bible school and I am constantly learning about context, the nuances of theology studies and expect to be for the rest of my life. Accordance has enabled this journey and I really want it to survive so I can continue to do so.

My next step is waiting for confirmation of a v14 release version that is at least as stable as the v13.3.4 I am currently on so I can upgrade :)

Edited by cweber
  • Like 1

Hendriksen-Kistemaker NT Commentary has been my go-to, recently, for the New Testament.

2 hours ago, cweber said:

My next step is waiting for confirmation of a v14 release version that is at least as stable as the v13.3.4 I am currently on so I can upgrade

14.0.9 has been overall solid and well-received. It's a good time to try it.

On 2/24/2024 at 10:04 PM, cweber said:

I aim for some level of ... graphical context as I study,

I love the infographic bible by karen sawrey for that! (Along with my holman atlas.)

9CACA37B-4D54-4359-AF2A-B3301D65EABA.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

One of the most helpful series I use all the time is the Reading the Bible Today Series. It's a non-technical series and probably I especially like it because many of the authors are Australian and known to me.

Their focus on biblical theological is especially good and ensures Christ is preached from across the Scriptures.

The volumes by Andrew Reid and Peter Adam (one of the best preaches and trainers in preaching and prayer in Australia) are particularly good.

The series isn't available in Accordance, but should be!

I also really like the Pillar New Testament Commentary. Again, many Australian authors and can't go wrong with Carson.

Perhaps the fact I like series with Australian authors is significant. We preach into a particular context and with the exception of The Gospel Coalition, North American Christianity is very different to anything here in Australia.

Edited by David Purton
  • Like 1

If any of your recommendations aren't on our module requests list yet, feel free to add them!

Also, I need to send you my PhD dissertation. It's on Donald Robinson and Moore College.

3 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Also, I need to send you my PhD dissertation. It's on Donald Robinson and Moore College.

Interesting! I would be interested in see it :).

Most of the people I work with (at AFES—Intervasity Christian Fellowship equivalent) went to Moore (although I studied at Ridley in Melbourne). Moore College and Sydney Anglicanism is unique, but a great gift to the Australian church (to use church in a way that Robinson would have disapproved of 🫣).

• Like 2