Accordance Won't Open after Sonoma 14.3 Update - Dark Mode Problem?

David Garrison

I updated my M1 Pro MBP to Sonoma 14.3 last night, and now Accordance won't open.  When I updated, I closed all my apps and the computer was in dark mode.  Accordance seemed to be trying to reopen in dark mode as well, but kept crashing. Even when I "cancelled" recovering my last open session, it still crashed.  So, I flipped the computer to dark mode and got Accordance to open.  When I switched MacOS back to light mode, Accordance crashed.  I've not been able to get it to reopen since in either light or dark mode.

I'm running the most recent version of Accordance.

I'm in the process of updating to Sonoma 14.3 to look into this.

• Like 1

I'll update my Macs to Sonoma 14.3 today as well.

My Mac is set to Dark Mode, though I don’t use it in Accordance (Automatically adjust to system dark mode is unchecked). I closed all my apps like David did, just updated to 14.3, and Accordance opens and functions normally.

Accordance 14.0.8

Sonoma 14.3

M1

Everything works fine for me in 14.3 on an M2 Mac. 

14.0.8 and 14.0.9 beta open on my M2 MacBook Air running Sonoma 14.3.

I'll try my Intel iMac Pro once it finishes updating.

I've been having a lot of quirky problems with Accordance for a while, so I think I'll just do a completely fresh install.

Some questions before I do so:

• Can I leave 'Accordance Files' alone, so as to preserve my user notes, tools, stacks and whatnot, or do I need to delete it?
  • What are the current file types for notes and tools?  In looking at 'Accordance Files,' I'm seeing duplicate files with .amynotes, .acc4, and some with no extension at all.
  • Related to that, with all those duplicate files, how do I know which is the most recent or most compatible with 14.0.8, so I can purge old, unneeded duplicates?
  • What else do I need to think about or back up before wiping everything out?

By the way, 14.0.8 and 14.0.9 beta loading fine on my Intel iMac Pro running Sonoma 14.3.

I set the app in Dark Mode on all my devices when testing.

On 1/23/2024 at 4:06 PM, David Garrison said:
  • What are the current file types for notes and tools?  In looking at 'Accordance Files,' I'm seeing duplicate files with .amynotes, .acc4, and some with no extension at all.
  • Related to that, with all those duplicate files, how do I know which is the most recent or most compatible with 14.0.8, so I can purge old, unneeded duplicates?

Working on setting Accordance up, but still hoping for answers to these questions.  I have a lot of duplicates, but I don't know which ones to keep and which to discard.

Hi David,

The ones with .amynotes are the newest ones. I'd open each of them in 14.0.8 and make sure you have all of the content, then keep any that are .amynotes and toss the rest. If there's content in older ones not in .amynotes files, you might want to migrate the content over to them.

Fantastic, thanks!

Anytime!

I am experiencing a few crashes with opening modules in 14.0.8 on Sonoma 14.3 on my M2 MacBook Air (re-testing on 14.0.9 beta). I also found a Dark Mode/Light Mode toggle crash with 14.0.9 beta that has been reported and will be resolved shortly.

I'm going to be running some extensive tests of 14.0.9 beta on Sonoma 14.3 over the weekend and early next week, and I've encouraged other Mac beta testers to do the same before we officially release 14.0.9. I want to ensure Apple hasn't done something with Sonoma 14.3 that's going to cause any issues.

Continue to use 14.0.8 on your copy of Sonoma 14.3 over the weekend and early next week. If anything crops up, post it here, and I'll test it against 14.0.8 and 14.0.9 beta. 

In the meantime, other software I use that I beta test I'm going to put through the paces in Sonoma 14.3 as well in case Apple has done something to mess with anything else in my workflow.

Thanks, Nathan.  So far, everything has been running very smoothly since I did a "clean" install of Accordance 14.0.8 on Sonoma 14.3.

Although, after receiving the email about not updating, I'm kind of afraid to touch Accordance and break something. 🫠

I know that when I updated to Sonoma 14.2 (I am currently running Accordance 14.0.8 I was having some issues with setting up my user notes and accessing my HCBS Strongs bible.  So I got rid of all of the Accordance files (some from previous versions) and did a clean install, updated the app to 14.0.8, and finally the content.  Since then I have updated to Sonoma 14.3 and my Accordance 14.0.8 is still running smooth as silk.

I am running on a Mac Mini M2 (2023) with 16GB

I know this probably doesn't help—I'm running Accordance 14.0.8 on an M2 Macbook Air and have had no problems with MacOS 14.3. If it's any help, I never use dark mode on my Mac.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! There are a few issues we're working on, but it doesn't seem as intense as Sonoma's original launch. 

I'm even having issues with Apple's built-in apps on Sonoma 14.3. Lovely.

Is anyone at Accordance consistently running Apple's beta releases? I used to when I worked there in order to send bug reports to Apple.

I'd have to ask other staff members. I personally haven't jumped into beta testing macOS yet since I only have two Macs (an Apple Silicon Mac and an Intel Mac), and I'm trying to decide how I could do it without critically breaking my workflow, and if I'd need to use Public Betas or Developer Betas.

With that said, I'm open to hearing strategies on how you did it in the past in case I could personally jump in and do this. You also have access to my phone number if you want to call one afternoon and chat with me about it.

I also could enable Windows Insider Preview on my Windows PC as well. Interested in hearing your feedback there.

I'm going to install the macOS Public Beta on at least one of my machines. Deciding whether to do it on Intel, Apple Silicon, or eventually both.

Apple released Sonoma 14.3 on Jan 22. How long are we supposed to wait to update our OS? When can we anticipate an update to Accordance 14? 

• Like 1

We're working on the fixes as we speak, but I haven't been given a specific ETA yet. We're adding them to 14.0.9.

I'm beta testing Sonoma 14.4 and all future versions of macOS moving forward, so unless Apple changes something late in the game, we should have a heads up on if macOS messed anything else up.

Any further updates on this situation? I am in a bind because Accordance is recommending not upgrading to Sonoma 14.3, but my University’s IT department is telling me to upgrade to 4.3 in order to fix an issue with our print servers on campus.

@Chris Heard

You have a couple of options:

1. If you don't have an issue with your print servers on campus or don't use the campus printers, it is unlikely that you would cause a problem for others just by staying with the old OS version (check with your university's IT department to make sure).

2. If you have to upgrade your OS, ask Nathan to put you on the beta program to get a pre-release version of Accordance 14.0.9 that works with Sonoma 14.3. Being pre-release software, it might have other bugs, but judging by forum posts, it sounds at least as stable as 14.0.8.