Is version 14 a good investment?

blgriffin83

47 minutes ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

... I think most if not all of the issues people were initially complaining about have been resolved. ...

Definitely not all, not for users of the Windows version of Accordance. 

11 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

... plus I'd like to see 64 Bit for Windows in Accordance 14 and not Accordance 15 (I have personal reasons for this). ...

Hi, Nathan. You've said previously that this would be a very involved task, presumably taking a rather long time. Is this becoming more of a priority, with the timeline perhaps being accelerated?

@Mark Allison I wouldn't want to spoil any surprises, but it seems @ukfraser has obtained my classified information. :-)

@robrecht 64 Bit Windows will still be a large undertaking, but it's still something I've discussed with management that we want to work on. We'll have to finish syncing and Cloud first, but we still want to go 64 Bit on Windows as soon as we're able to. I'd like to get it out during 14.

19 hours ago, robrecht said:

Definitely not all, not for users of the Windows version of Accordance. 

I am sorry to hear that! I hope things will be resolved soon.

14.0.9 will be a major step forward for Windows users, although we all still want 64 Bit Windows as well.

1 minute ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

14.0.9 will be a major step forward for Windows users, although we all still want 64 Bit Windows as well.

It may be helpful to separate your personal desires vs. what is actually part of the company's gameplan because I'm not 100% sure what's being said here. Given that the cloud/syncing has been one of the top priorities and has not yet been accomplished. I assume that until that is done, there aren't major changes like making Accordance 64bit also in the works. Or am I reading this wrong? 

I spoke with management about 64 Bit Windows a while back. Management told me that it is something they (and plenty of other Accordance staff members and Accordance users) want. We have to finish syncing, cloud, and likely a handful of other things first (so we can't officially start on it until we get our other priorities accomplished). It is at least on our roadmap and a desire we are all interested in doing. Whenever we do start it, it will be a monumental task. Windows doesn't make it as easy as macOS to bring a 64 Bit app, so it won't happen as quickly as it did on macOS.

In the meantime, 14.0.9 will still address "random crashing" issues that have been reported, as there are things we've been able to do short-term to address those issues.

• Like 2

My main reaon to upgrade was the cloud functionality.

I got v14 at the early bird discount, but this bird is still waiting for the worm :-)

• Like 1

He's brushing up on his Greek and Hebrew searching before he appears out of the ground. :-)

On 1/9/2024 at 9:48 AM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

In the meantime, 14.0.9 will still address "random crashing" issues that have been reported, as there are things we've been able to do short-term to address those issues.

Does this mean we are getting closer to a version 14 release that's will be at least as stable as the V13.3.4 on Win 11 I have operating at present?

We don’t even have all the supposed features of v14. Forget about v15

• Like 1

The original question is not easy to answer and my response will likely not help...because I can only give my experience. I am running 14.0.9 on a 2013 Mac (running Big Sur). I experienced a few of the problems with the release of 14, but all have been satisfied. I would also like to see the much anticipated promised enhancements--but for the Mac OS use of Accordance that I depend on day by day--I am loving 14. I am not aware of any bugs or data losses. Again, I realize some have issues--I am just offering my experience. 

I also agree with Brian above...Accordance is cheaper than the competition whose product seems to be a money pit with no bottom. I finally refused their updates. If I need to look into a book on their platform I access it via that web browser in Accordance, which automatically pulls it up. The competition offers some pretty nice features--but no deal clinchers as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 2

@cweber 14.0.9 is going to offer some great improvements for Windows users. The feedback from beta testers so far has been quite positive. If you ever want to beta test updates, DM me, but we should be getting closer to a public release. We've kept it in beta a little bit longer so we could get some solid feedback from beta testers.

• Like 1

I wish I could have stayed with 12, since the highlighting was fouled up on later versions.  But I found that Accordance had apparently begun selling modules that would not work with 12, like the Brill Greek Lexicon.  In the computer game we are victims of planned obsolescence, IMHO. I find that programs I liked which were 32 bit no longer will work on newer Apple OS, like EyeTV3 and QuickTime Player 7 pro.  But as of yet I know of nothing which was not good enough in 32 bit & no change of Accordance since 12 which is of any value to me (aside from modules which I might want but won't work on 12.)  Of course you may find that new modules on Accordance now may not work unless you keep buying "upgrades." Perhaps somebody can list new modules which require 14 or tell us that 13 will still do it all.

Edited by Enoch

10 hours ago, Enoch said:

I wish I could have stayed with 12, since the highlighting was fouled up on later versions.  But I found that Accordance had apparently begun selling modules that would not work with 12, like the Brill Greek Lexicon.  In the computer game we are victims of planned obsolescence, IMHO. I find that programs I liked which were 32 bit no longer will work on newer Apple OS, like EyeTV3 and QuickTime Player 7 pro.  But as of yet I know of nothing which was not good enough in 32 bit & no change of Accordance since 12 which is of any value to me (aside from modules which I might want but won't work on 12.)  Of course you may find that new modules on Accordance now may not work unless you keep buying "upgrades." Perhaps somebody can list new modules which require 14 or tell us that 13 will still do it all.

One big difference between v.13 and v.14 formats that I recall from earlier discussions is that v.14 caters for expanded (unicode?) fonts. They said that existing files were not upgraded by default - it's a manual process. Before converting the file to the new format, both v.13 and v.14 can use them; after conversion, v.13 will no longer be able to read them. There's also support for other v.14 features, but I don't think they provided a simple conversion tool for end users; publishers needed to target the new format specifically. I know this doesn't address the problem of not knowing whether a module is in v.13 format or v.14 format; you'll need to just try each one on v.13.

The transition to v.14 has been very messy, but v.14 is now fairly stable, so it would make sense to try to make it the new default. It leaves users of v.13 and earlier in the lurch. I think we accept that anything published after v.14's release would not be guaranteed to work with v.13, but unless they upgraded the formats behind the scenes, all the earlier stuff should still work with the earlier software versions. Some resources include "Minimum Accordance Version" information on the store. See the picture below for an example.

image.thumb.png.1f885ed8f0eb446b63e9953aeb21a32d.png

You didn't mention rolling back the file formats, but rolling back v.14 to v.13 file formats is probably not feasible anyway. However, I hope that as v.14 stabilises, they'll implement version control for their modules so that for future releases, they can automatically download the appropriate module version based on the Accordance software version running at the time of the download.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lawrence said:

However, I hope that as v.14 stabilises, they'll implement version control for their modules so that for future releases, they can automatically download the appropriate module version based on the Accordance software version running at the time of the download.

+1

Is Accordance 14 a good investment? 

I am on a Mac, so I will not speak on behalf of Windows users regarding this particular software. 

Other software I have a dedicated PC for, but in Accordance I find Mac is best. 

It's pretty neat with the 'Dynamic Word Study' tool

However, to be sincere; everything I do in Accordance 14, I can do in Accordance 13 and even 12, except the few bells and whistles. For example, to take the deepest dive in a word study, you don't necessarily need the ' dynamic word study tool' but is nice to have that it leads you to results faster.

Accordance 14 added a few bells and whistles that are nice. 

Is it a good investment? I would say yes because it improves workflow when doing a bible study.  

I think Accordance will be a worthwhile investment when/if it incorporates an AI database that is unique to the user's invested library. Being able to have AI answer questions you have straight from your library database would be another neat, yet not necessary feature as we already have access, but may again, speed up workflow. Staying on this topic, having AI generate biblically sound questions to a particular verse(s), passage, chapter, book etc., with beginner, intermediate, and advanced levels in mind would also be a great feature. 

This would help regarding apologetics too, if it could challenge us on what we believe with the "correct answer" forthcoming.    

The resources you invest in are where the meat and potatoes are in Accordance, but the features bless us so much that sometimes it's easy to forget that the scholars we admire did not have this type of software to study God's word.

If you want to be an inspector of God's word then Accordance 14 gives you some new gadgets that make your investigation easier. 

Additionally, the custom phrasing tool is also a nice feature to have, and although can be accomplished in simple word documenting software (Microsoft Word, Pages, etc.), it is regardless a nice feature to have in Accordance.  

That said, it would be nice to see Accordance create a toggle on and off feature with custom phrasing similar to how you toggle on and off highlights (hoping the developers see this). 

The workbook feature is also great and is perfect for learners of God's word to answer questions without having to leave the software and soak up the information in that particular text.

If the developers of Accordance show they are pushing the envelope to help students learn and their passion for this particular help shows in their 'features' which it, of course, has in Accordance 14, then any update they come out with is worth investing in. 

Rick

Edited by Rick55

1 hour ago, Rick55 said:

However, to be sincere; everything I do in Accordance 14, I can do in Accordance 13 and even 12

That statement above has been my personal experience, because of the type of work I do. So whether it is a good investment or not really depends on your specific needs. I don't use the word study tool, or phrasing, but if someone likes that, it might worth it. I personally bought v.14 since It thought it would fix the stability problems v.13 introduced, but that has obviously not been the case.

1 hour ago, Rick55 said:

I think Accordance will be a worthwhile investment when/if it incorporates an AI database that is unique to the user's invested library.

I know this was discussed somewhat on another thread, but in light of this, I would just mention that introducing AI would be enough to provoke me to stop using the software. It is that serious. So if AI is introduced that would influence "research," which is obviously the whole point, it would be absolutely essential that is something that can be COMPLETELY turned off for those whose work it would interfere with.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kristin said:

. . . if AI is introduced that would influence "research," which is obviously the whole point, it would be absolutely essential that is something that can be COMPLETELY turned off for those whose work it would interfere with.

Yes. +1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kristin said:

I know this was discussed somewhat on another thread, but in light of this, I would just mention that introducing AI would be enough to provoke me to stop using the software. It is that serious. So if AI is introduced that would influence "research," which is obviously the whole point, it would be absolutely essential that is something that can be COMPLETELY turned off for those whose work it would interfere with.

From my understanding Kristin; to payout an IT team that can incorporate a fluent AI search engine today may(or may not be) above the development budget at this point. This easily could not be an investment interest for the company because they could most likely fall in the red all while these types of developments will be substantially cheaper in the future to incorporate these types of features.  I do not see an "A.I." feature happening anytime soon quite honestly. I agree that it should only be a feature you can use, like the research option. The way I can envision it, it would be the same as chatgpt but just inside Accordance. using only "in-house" data that could be used inside a zone. 

Toggling things on and off is a plus for features like highlighting and hopefully custom phrasing in the future; though an "a.i" would be an option you can simply access if you want, like the current research access. These two, research and a.i. should be separate and not combined. To summarize here, new features just like in Accordance 14 should be add-ons that do not get in the way of the other current features. God bless you, and happy studying/walking with the Lord. 

• Like 1

To my knowledge, all of our current modules can work across Accordance 13 and 14. I could be wrong about that, but I don't recall any modules being specific to Accordance 14 at the moment.

User Tools in Accordance 14 did get enhancements with Unicode and file types, so there are some User Tools being created that require 14.

• Like 1

I did installed 14.0.9b6 today and tried out some of my more complicated workspaces and they are definitely much, much more stable now. I'm not sure to what extent I can continue to test over the next week or so (have come down with the flu or COVID) but initial impressions are very good.  A huge improvement over 14.0.8.8.

• Like 2

Great feedback. Thanks! Get well soon!

Can't wait to see 14.0.9.  Thanks Accordance Team!!!

• Like 1