Is version 14 a good investment?

blgriffin83

I found a video on youtube which showed the new Word Study features in v14 and am very interested in that. But I've read a lot of complaints about v14, so I was curious if a lot of those issues have been worked out already or are people still not happy with v14?

And assuming the issues have been worked out, is it overall a good investment?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, blgriffin83 said:

I found a video on youtube which showed the new Word Study features in v14 and am very interested in that. But I've read a lot of complaints about v14, so I was curious if a lot of those issues have been worked out already or are people still not happy with v14?

I have 2 versions of 14 which are the latest public release & the newest beta version. In general, most of the issues have been worked out and I feel the public release is pretty solid, even before the fixes I feel it was a good investment. It will only get better with time, don't forget that reality.

• Like 1

I beta tested Accordance 14 before I came to work for Accordance. I even paid for the pre-order out of pocket (I was eventually credited it back in Accordance credit since I received a free copy of Accordance 14 as a beta tester). 

I would still have paid for Accordance 14 out-of-pocket had I not been a beta tester or if I didn't work for Accordance now. The Word Study feature alone is worth the upgrade (Roy Brown, the original founder of Accordance, personally worked on it). The Custom Phrasing feature is another feature I would have used heavily years earlier. I also love the QuickClick Verse Picker.

Enhanced Syncing and Accordance Cloud are both in the works, and once released, they'll be worth the cost of the Accordance 14 upgrade as well.

I used Accordance 14 early on during my PhD program to finish it out, and it still ran smoothly for my "mission critical" work. It's only improved since then with each release, and 14.0.9 is around the corner which will provide additional tweaks that will benefit Windows users heavily.

I also DM'ed you further details.

• Like 1

Don't forget— with Accordance 14 you can toggle between dark and light mode without having to restart it. That alone is worth it!

PS Some of the Greek and Hebrew starter collections are on sale right now and they come with Accordance 14 included if you don't have those resources in your library

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Biblebob412 said:

Don't forget— with Accordance 14 you can toggle between dark and light mode without having to restart it. That alone is worth it!

PS Some of the Greek and Hebrew starter collections are on sale right now and they come with Accordance 14 included if you don't have those resources in your library

True on the Dark Mode toggle!

Also true on the Specialty Starter collections. They're a great way to get 14 and some extra books.

It took a bit, a there are still some small bugs. But I love v14. It's actually critical to my workflow at this point. I'm doing translation and find the word study and associated features quite convenient. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blgriffin83 said:

I found a video on youtube which showed the new Word Study features in v14 and am very interested in that. 

If you are interested in word study, its worth getting and as others have suggested,  i would certainly look at the speciality starters as the way to upgrade to help build your library. 

• Like 2

I actually made the mistake of purchasing it before reading the advice about buying a collection. I have the Greek & Hebrew Learner collection plus HMT-4, LLX bundle and several other things which are included in a lot of the bundles, but I still wonder if buying The Hebrew Starter would have been cheaper than buying the v14 upgrade just being that it is in a bundle. The only thing I see that it has that is says I don't have is Hebrew Verb Parsing. 

Anyway is there any way at this point to see what the price would have been for the Hebrew Starter had I not already got the v14 upgrade?

10 minutes ago, blgriffin83 said:

I actually made the mistake of purchasing it before reading the advice about buying a collection. I have the Greek & Hebrew Learner collection plus HMT-4, LLX bundle and several other things which are included in a lot of the bundles, but I still wonder if buying The Hebrew Starter would have been cheaper than buying the v14 upgrade just being that it is in a bundle. The only thing I see that it has that is says I don't have is Hebrew Verb Parsing. 

Anyway is there any way at this point to see what the price would have been for the Hebrew Starter had I not already got the v14 upgrade?

Make sure you are signed into your Accordance account, click on the Hebrew starter and it should give you the discounted price if you already have some of the modules in your library. You can call them & they will work with you to get what you want.

Edited by ReformedDoc

1 hour ago, blgriffin83 said:

I actually made the mistake of purchasing it before reading the advice about buying a collection. I have the Greek & Hebrew Learner collection

I worked up through the different original language package levels as i built up to 12 but when i upgraded to 13, i went for the English starter because of all the pocket dictionaries as something different.

Edited by ukfraser

22 hours ago, blgriffin83 said:

If you use the Windows version, and have complicated Workspaces, it still crashes a lot. A lot.

1 hour ago, robrecht said:

If you use the Windows version, and have complicated Workspaces, it still crashes a lot. A lot.

AT first it crashed a lot for me, but with the updates I dont have very many crashes anymore. And I run some complicated workspaces, or to put it this way, I have over 10 lexicons in one workspace, and several Bibles in another, plus a third one with more modules open, that I am running simultaneously, on a triple monitor setup. I use it daily, and I would say that I have maybe one crash every week or two.

One of my workspaces with multiple linked tabs crashes pretty much every time I try to use it. Works on Apple machines, worked on my old laptop with Accordance 13, but not on my 32 GB RAM 2 TB SSD i7 Windows 11 laptop with Accordance 14.0.8. Less complicated workspaces crash less frequently, but it's not unusual for me to have two or three crashes in an hour.

Edited by robrecht

The latest release - 14.0.8 - has been very stable for me on Windows 11.

• Like 2

The Pocket Dictionaries make the English Starter a fantastic deal, especially on the current sale.

14.0.9 for Windows is coming that will address other crash reports. It's in beta testing now and getting really good feedback from Windows users. 

Dark Mode could use a few adjustments on Mac and Windows, so I've switched to using Dark Mode exclusively across my devices (except for training) to suggest additional refinements. Plus Dark Mode keeps me wanting to take various "technology breaks" and enjoy some time in the real world. :-) 

6 hours ago, Donovan R. Palmer said:

It is hard for me to see how Accordance is going to be very innovative going forward when they just need to deliver the basics and improve the quality of v14...

Yes, I'd be very surprised if we see a version 15 this year. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Yes, I'd be very surprised if we see a version 15 this year. 

In fact, I'd be disappointed if we did. In my personal opinion I think it would be good to deliver real solidity in 14, more resources and major upgrades to the mobile platforms. But I'm not aware of plans or thoughts. This is TOTALLY me musing as a private individual rather than having ANY knowledge as an accordance contractor.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ken Simpson said:

In fact, I'd be disappointed if we did. In my personal opinion I think it would be good to deliver real solidity in 14, more resources and major upgrades to the mobile platforms.  ...

Deliver on features advertised and paid for in the fall of 2022. 

• Like 1

We won't see Accordance 15 for a while. Getting enhanced syncing and Accordance Cloud finished are our main two priorities to deliver what we promised in Accordance 14. Plus we have some other bug reports to address.

There are some small features and refinements I'd like for us to still deliver while we're under Accordance 14, plus I'd like to see 64 Bit for Windows in Accordance 14 and not Accordance 15 (I have personal reasons for this).

With that said, I've been brainstorming about not only future updates to Accordance 14, but also Accordance 15, 16, and at least 17. Never hurts to start thinking about the "big picture" early.

Just wanted to come back and confirm that I bought v14 and am very happy with it. My price was a little over $4 when I bought the Hebrew Starter collection. The Word Study feature is very nice.

• Like 3

And just to confirm, you're the only Accordance user who will receive Accordance 14 at that price. :-)

8 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I've been brainstorming about not only future updates to Accordance 14, but also Accordance 15, 16, and at least 17

Wow, that's thinking pretty far ahead. What features do you think won't make it to Accordance until version 17? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

What features do you think won't make it to Accordance until version 17? 

It will project a hologram and present a sermon in a service so the minister can stay in bed.

it will project a hologram at a seminary on original languages so some lecturers will be made redundant.

It will produce non plagiarism doctorate publications.

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Sad 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:47 AM, blgriffin83 said:

was curious if a lot of those issues have been worked out already or are people still not happy with v14?

I am very happy with version 14 of Accordance! 

I think most if not all of the issues people were initially complaining about have been resolved.

One thing though not everyone experienced the initial issues. Noticeably those running Accordance on newer Macs using M1, M2, or M3 processors were able to avoid the issue some had running Accordance for Mac on Intel CPUs. 

On 1/5/2024 at 7:47 AM, blgriffin83 said:

I think so. Plus, upgrading Accordance, always seems to be cheaper than any of the other software I periodically need to/want to upgrade.

• Like 2