Windows 11 Crash

tony10000

Do you use multiple tabs, tab ties and have you tried doing searches with that configuration? 

Solution for search with tab ties:  I just added an untied tab to my workspace for use exclusively for search.

Not a very good solution for me. I want to see the search results (or even a specific verse choice) in multiple tabs (eg, MT-JPS, MT-DSS, MT-LXX, MT-Targum, MT-Peshitta). Much easier to have tied tabs than doing four separate searches.   

Edited by robrecht

32 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

HP Notebook, Windows 11 Pro, Intel CPU, 12GB RAM, 1TB SSD. I can try looking up the detailed specs if need be. I've thought about eventually throwing 16GB RAM in it.

Kind of "midrange". Fast enough for a notebook but not as fast as some desktops.

More RAM will help you with other programs, but not with Accordance. It sounds like 32-bit Windows Accordance is only able to effectively use 4GB of your RAM.

1 hour ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

The Mac version was ported to 64 Bit first since Apple makes it far easier to port Mac apps to 64 Bit due to Apple requiring Mac apps to be 64 Bit.

That in and of itself does not make it easier to do; look rather at why they make this a requirement. Apple requires it presumably because it is good for the overall functioning of all the programs within the platform, making optimal use of the hardware and operating system, and thereby ensuring a much better user experience. Even if Windows does not require Accordance to upgrade their program, sounds like it should still be done.

46 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

It was an overall not-too-complicated process to do it on the Mac. Windows, on the other hand, doesn't have quite that ease of porting in their programming tools. 🙂

Sounds like Accordance needs to decide whether or not they are truly committed to developing and marketing good software for the Windows environment. I'm sure it is not always easy, but if you want to continue to succeed as a company marketing Windows software, you may need to learn how to do this. Other software companies do this, right?

There are other things we can do in the meantime that we're doing with 14.0.9 that will be able to alleviate many of the "random crashes" until we can go 64 Bit.

This sounds like at least some of the random crash problems are related to the fact that Windows Accordance is still 32-bit. Is that what you're saying here?

I'm not aware of testing between 13 and 14.

Wouldn't it make sense for Accordance to try and figure out exactly what changes in Version 14 caused the problems? 

In terms of workspaces, I have it on the list as well to look into if there are changes that could be made to improve workspaces.

But if the workspaces are working fine on a 64-bit Mac version of the Accordance software and randomly crashing on a 32-bit Windows version, it sounds like it is not the workspaces that need to be improved, but the 32-bit Windows version that needs to be upgraded. 

Except for a handful of customers who requested refunds on Accordance 14, most customers have successfully upgraded and are having a positive experience with it.

That's certainly not true in my case. I have not requested a refund, but my more complex workspaces constantly freeze up and crash in Version 14. Tech support has finally confirmed the problem, but it took many months for anyone at Accordance to start taking this issue seriously. How many other users have the patience to go through this process. My issue is not with getting reimbursed for whatever paltry sum I paid for the Version 14 upgrade. I just want Accordance to stay in business and continue to succeed by responsibly upgrading their software when it starts to fail.

@tony10000 I just re-built your workspace on my 14.0.8 Windows system. It's not crashing for me, even with all of the tab ties.

@robrecht We know that 64 Bit for both platforms would certainly improve the user experience. I was simply answering you question as to why it was quicker to get 64 Bit Mac out the door before Windows. Apple made it easy to get 64 Bit out the door quickly, so it went 64 Bit first. It's more time-consuming to do it on Windows, but we still want to do it. We're committed to both Windows and Mac. When one platform offers us tools to get something out the door quicker, obviously it'll be easier to do it on one platform before the other. Dark Mode is another feature that comes to mind.

In terms of the "random crashes", the majority of them will hopefully be resolved with 14.0.9. We've found that there are some short-term adjustments we can make to reduce the amount of "random crashes" on Windows. With that said, 64 Bit is still on our list to look into, but it would be after syncing and certainly take some time to develop. The goal is to provide both a "short term" solution (14.0.9) and also work on a longer-term enhancement. We have discussed doing 64 Bit as part of Accordance 14 (and not waiting for 15).

In terms of workspaces, I'd have to test particular workspace files. We've had reports with some workspace issues on either platform, so it's on the list to examine them across platforms. I can test any workspaces you want on Mac and 14.0.9 beta if you want.

I thought our programmers already answered any questions on 13 to 14, but if there's any you want addressed, let me know.

2 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@tony10000 I just re-built your workspace on my 14.0.8 Windows system. It's not crashing for me, even with all of the tab ties.

So what does that tell you? You were also not able to reproduce the problems with one of my workspaces that Tech support was eventually able to verify, only after weeks of working through all of the standard excuses thrown up to explain away the issue (eg, don't download the program with Google Chrome). Then they even discovered that your programmers were already aware of the issue before I even tried to report it. So why does Accordance work on your machine but not on Tony's and mine? What's different? Is it because Tony and I have 32 GB of RAM, while you have 12 GB? Are there some other crucial differences between your Windows PC and ours?  That is what needs to be investigated. For Accordance to succeed in the Windows arena, the program needs to work well on a variety of configurations, especially the more advanced and cutting edge computers that will soon be average, standard hardware of the majority of users.

I thought our programmers already answered any questions on 13 to 14, but if there's any you want addressed, let me know.

Yes, one of the questions I've been trying to ask you here is what were the specific enhancements in Version 14 that caused the problems with random crashes? Look at that specific code to sort out the issues. I think that would be so much more efficient than expecting your customers to beta test purchased programs that are not yet ready for prime time.

@robrecht From what I'm seeing in the beta release notes for 14.0.9, it seems we have identified what has been causing the problems with the random crashes in 14. 

I'm hoping to look at our beta test group coming up to ensure we're using a wide-variety of testers across Mac and Windows (Intel and Apple Silicon Macs, older and newer macOS releases, Windows 10 and 11, different Windows hardware configurations, etc). I think we're about there, but I'm double-checking and going to invite additional testers if need be so that we're making sure to hit an optimal range of systems.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@robrecht From what I'm seeing in the beta release notes for 14.0.9, it seems we have identified what has been causing the problems with the random crashes in 14. 

OK, so what has been causing the problems with the random crashes in 14?

@robrecht We know that 64 Bit for both platforms would certainly improve the user experience. I was simply answering you question as to why it was quicker to get 64 Bit Mac out the door before Windows. Apple made it easy to get 64 Bit out the door quickly, so it went 64 Bit first. It's more time-consuming to do it on Windows, but we still want to do it. We're committed to both Windows and Mac. When one platform offers us tools to get something out the door quicker, obviously it'll be easier to do it on one platform before the other. Dark Mode is another feature that comes to mind.

I'm certainly no expert here, but I'm told by my programmers that 64-bit versions of Windows first started to become available in the early- to mid-2000s. We sometimes wait to upgrade our software a year or two until some of the bugs are worked out, but we don't wait 20 years.

Windows needs a page file (virtual memory) to function correctly. Sometimes, people with a large amount of physical RAM disable it.

@robrecht I'll DM you since our beta release notes aren't released to the public. I can add you to the beta forums sometime if you want to better follow our beta release notes.

Windows XP was the first version to offer a 64 Bit version, but I don't recall 64 Bit becoming well-used on Windows until around Windows 7. I think Windows 7 was the first time I personally touched a 64 Bit version of Windows. Even then, for many of the apps I was using (such as Microsoft Office) I still had to use 32 Bit versions of until fairly recently. Even though Microsoft had a 64 Bit version of Office out for a while, it took a while before I could successfully transition to it while they worked out all the compatibility stuff. There's still a lot of critical work apps on Windows I'm using today that are 32 Bit only. 64 Bit is definitely the way to go though, and I'd love to be able to tap into additional RAM when running Accordance searches.

18 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

How did you rebuild my workspace not knowing the resources that I had loaded?  Did you try a multi-word search with a total of 14-15 resources loading amongst the tabs?

Edited by tony10000
corrected

@tony10000 I duplicated what I saw in your screen recording, although that might not have been thorough enough. You can email the workspace to me at nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation) if you want me to test your workspace file. Feel free to send me some sample searches to try as well.

19 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

@tony10000 I duplicated what I saw in your screen recording, although that might not have been thorough enough. You can email the workspace to me at nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace bracketed text with punctuation) if you want me to test your workspace file. Feel free to send me some sample searches to try as well.

I just sent you a workspace to test.

Great! I'll test it today and report back.

27 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Great! I'll test it today and report back.

Thanks!

I just tested it. I can reproduce the crash with a crash log in 14.0.8 easily. In 14.0.9, it's not crashing for me.

I've just added you to the beta forums in case you want to give 14.0.9 a spin with ti and see how it does on your computer. 

I'll email you as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Things are working very smoothly since I installed 14.09 beta.  Hope it will be released soon!

Thanks! We're still beta testing it, but hopefully we'll see a release early in 2024.

• 5 weeks later...

I tried moving back to Accordance windows about a year ago and failed miserably.  From the looks of this thread, things may be better. Is 14.09 still beta?

Yes, very much improved for my uses, but still beta.

• Thanks 1

Still in beta. We're adding the optimizations for Sonoma 14.3 into it before we release it.

• Thanks 1