How to increase the resolution of screen shots?

Brian K. Mitchell

Issue: I have been using the MacOS built in tools to take screen shots via the standard keyboard command short cuts: 'Command', 'Shift' and '3' keys. However whenever I check out the screen shots taken it seems it is not as high resolution as what I actually see on my screen. Also, I have noticed that when some Accordance forum members (who are also MacOS users) post screenshot, their screenshot quality is very crisp and clear. This makes me wonder if my settings are off some how?

Question: Is there anyway to increase the resolution of screen shots taken on MacOS? If not do other tools/software produce better results than MacOS' built in screenshot software?

Hello @Brian K. Mitchell

Option 1

Yes you can adjust the sharpness in MacOS built in tools. 

Go to Launchpad > Other Icon> Click on Screenshot Icon> A floating toolbar will appear on the screen.

Select > Capture Selected Portion. You also have other options

Adjust dotted lines to crop. Click on dot with mouse pointer.

Click on Capture button. Save to Desktop and give it a name.

FYI

Never work off your original. Always make a copy to the desktop. Shortcut option 8 or drag it to the desktop

Work off the copy and save as. That way you will always have the original.

Double click screenshot to open in Preview.

In the Preview menubar select Tools> Adjust Color...

Once open you will see a sharpness slider. Here you have options to make finer adjustments to make it crisp and clear and other adjustments

This one is basic

Option 2

I you want something more pro and advanced I recommend Pixelmator Pro for $20.00 in the App Store. Works great for photo editing and graphic design.

Not as good as QuarkXpress but it does the job. Adobe makes great graphic design software such as InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.

This is more advanced and there is a learning curve.

Hope this helps

Try it and see if it works for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello @Brian K. Mitchell

Some extra info

Try setting your monitor to the highest resolution.

I did a Google search with your question.  Is there anyway to increase the resolution of screen shots taken on MacOS?

There is some info there to read.

You could also call Apple Tech Support or a search on the Apple website.

• Thanks 1

You can change your screen resolution in System Settings>Displays. Super easy to do.

I think Snagit can adjust the resolution of captured screenshots, but I can double check.

Rick Mansfield also told me about SwitchResX. I'm using it in all my screencasts now.

• Thanks 1

@rgallo Thank you very much for the feedback and suggestions. 

@Dr. Nathan Parker thank you for your tips and advice!

Anytime!