Is this all we will hear from Senior Management?

dmwebb6

13 minutes ago, dmwebb6 said:

I have emails from tech from about 3 years ago saying they hoped to have syncing fixed by the end of that year.  I also have emails saying that features would be added to Android shortly but none of that has come to fruition .  Accordance cloud was advertised as being available by the end of last year. 

ETS/SBL is coming up November 18. It's the BIG show of the year for Accordance. It has ALWAYS been the time when signifiant new features, resources, and program updates have been introduced. I'm hoping we can look forward to seeing some of the features that have been promised for years released.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

I'm looking forward to seeing some original language scholarly resources! 

Stay tuned to closer to ETS/SBL!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JonathanHuber said:

I would just like a stable release and a journals update. 

We've had some journals in the pipeline. I'll see how close we are to releasing at least some of them.

58 minutes ago, dmwebb6 said:

I appreciate all that Accordance does as a program but in the future DON'T ADVERTISE or promise things that are not near ready.

By the way, I fixed the duplicate post for you.

This is good feedback. We didn't expect syncing/cloud to take as long as it has. Moving forward, I'd rather "pleasantly surprise" customers with new features you're not expecting than announce something we haven't released yet. I'm not a fan of Apple's strategy on announcing un-released features. I prefer the "Steve Jobs" approach.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

I'm not a fan of Apple's strategy on announcing un-released features.

There's a significant difference here. Apple can do that because they're not charging you for a new version. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

There's a significant difference here. Apple can do that because they're not charging you for a new version. 

They don't charge for OS upgrades anymore (at least on the Mac, they never did on iOS except for a limited time for iPod Touch users), but they just want you to continually buy new Apple hardware and subscribe to Apple One to take full advantage of everything. :-) 

2 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

They don't charge for OS upgrades anymore (at least on the Mac, they never did on iOS except for a limited time for iPod Touch users), but they just want you to continually buy new Apple hardware and subscribe to Apple One to take full advantage of everything. 🙂

Sounds like Apple and Accordance have that in common. 

Edited by Mark Allison

2 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Sounds like Apple and Accordance have that in common. 

Microsoft did a little of that when they released windows 11, and made it unable to be people with older cpus. My previous laptop met all of the hardware requirements with sole exception being the processor. No problem I am much happier than I ever thought I would be on MacOS. Anyway all and all the hardware requirements to run Accordance as well as the entry prices are (and have been) pretty mild when with compared to the Accordance's competitor the 'big L' software/library system. 

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

The TPM was an issue I saw with some people trying to upgrade to Windows 11. There were workarounds early on, but I think those were gone in final builds.

While I'm using a Windows PC to test Accordance on (and have gotten accustomed to using it on the side for some weather apps as well), I still prefer Macs for my everyday work. Overall, I've been happy with Apple Silicon. Super fast, no fans on my MacBook Air, and really like that I can run some iOS apps on it. Now I just need Apple to update the iMac lineup, then I'll be really happy.

31 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

Overall, I've been happy with Apple Silicon. Super fast, no fans on my MacBook Air, and really like that I can run some iOS apps on it. Now I just need Apple to update the iMac lineup, then I'll be really happy.

Me too, so far I am enjoying the whole experiance back light 'magic Keyboard', touch pad, just how crisp fonts(texts) look on the screen, the fact that it is almost impossible to accidentally close a program, and being able to run Accordance on macOS. There are some cosmetic differences between Accordance on Mac OS vs Accordance on Windows and I like it. However, It has been a little of a challenge to  get used to MacOS' shortcuts and Terminal. But, at the end of the day my M2 MacBook Pro is the computer I never knew that I needed. 

I like the backlit keyboard too.

I'm pretty proficient with Terminal, so if you have any questions that come up there, post them in the Mac/iOS/Apple forums. I had to get proficient with Terminal during my Linux stunt. :-) 

• Thanks 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:27 AM, Mark Allison said:

Forum posters are less than 1 percent of Accordance users. I'm guessing it won't be long till management believes they're more trouble than they're worth and simply shut them down. Or they'll just continue to ignore them. 

That's an interesting stat. Makes one wonder what 99% of Accordance Users do.

47 minutes ago, Dave Marrandette said:

That's an interesting stat. Makes one wonder what 99% of Accordance Users do.

It is also interesting looking at the number of posts that members are making and i have noticed that recently we have had a changing of the guard with a lot of new contributors joining the forum lately.

• Like 4

On 10/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Nathan Parker said:

I like the backlit keyboard too.

It is a feature I never knew existed and never knew I needed. 

On 10/23/2023 at 4:43 AM, Nathan Parker said:

I'm pretty proficient with Terminal, so if you have any questions that come up there, post them in the Mac/iOS/Apple forums. 

Thank you for the offer!

I haven't been able to live without backlit keyboard once I've had it.

• Like 1

The CEO of one of Accordance's competitors recently responded with a long message to their users, along with the following comment. Seemed like a really nice gesture:

"Please note I read the forums frequently, but the best way to reach me is via email – vik@********.com.”

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

The CEO of one of Accordance's competitors recently responded with a long message to their users, along with the following comment. Seemed like a really nice gesture:

"Please note I read the forums frequently, but the best way to reach me is via email – vik@********.com.”

When I was a bible college student in 1998-1999 I was a new user of the other guys & their owner would text me back within 5-10 minutes, back in the blackberry days.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A little reminder the owner of Accordance has posted one post on the forums here:

https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/33930-owners-response-to-release-of-accordance-14/

And at least eight Oaktree Accordance employees regularly interact on the forums:

• Nathan Parker
  • Robert Holmstedt
  • David Lang

• Ken Simpson
  • Silas Marrs
  • Billy32792
  • Mike Garrity
  • Sean Nelson 

So my point is that neither the Accordance forums nor the Accordance users are being neglected.

• Like 4

Well I guess that settles that. The complainants are just wrong, I guess. Nothing to see here, move along.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Confused 1

@JohnABarnett 

I am not sure I understand your reply but your tone appears to be sarcastic.

If wrote something that I upset you personally I would like to apologize for that. 

59 minutes ago, JohnABarnett said:

The complainants are just wrong, I guess. Nothing to see here, move along.

Where in my post did I mention complainants and then turn around claim those complainants were wrong? 

I made the mistake of responding based on an immediate reaction. I should have just let it be.

There is a context here of which you may not be aware, that ia number of users on this forum were hoping to hear some sort of meaningful statement directly from management on the path forward since events of the past year.

To me I read "the users of this forum are not neglected," as dismissive of these concerns contained in several threads. Most recently this most recent thread was left to die on the vine by those who originated it when it became clear that no significant hoped-for response from senior management was forthcoming. The taste left in my mouth, at least, was one of being dismissed via non-response. When I read your words it sounded to me like further confirmation of my taste-bud sense.

I should not have responded when I did the way I did. I should have just continued to let sleeping dogs lie. I'm going to go back to that mode. Sorry for the interruption, and I apologize for connecting your words in this way with this issue.

You do not need to apologize, I do. 

• Thanks 1

@JohnABarnett

Thank you for taking the time to write up a very clear and detailed explanation. Knowing the larger context helps to better understand your reaction and some of the comments of others I have run across on the forums.

11 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

users on this forum were hoping to hear some sort of meaningful statement directly from management on the path forward since events of the past year.

After some consideration I am guessing part of those events may have been some forums user's late

discovery that Accordance came under new ownership/management back in 2020 when majority share/stock holder changed. Which probably contributed to fears that what happened to past Bible Software might be happening to Accordance for example:

Quickverse (bought out by Broderbund in 1997)

WordSearch (bought out by FaithlifeLogos in 2019/2020)

BibleWorks (they weren't bought out, but they stop selling BibleSoftware in the summer of 2018)

Gramcord (the website is still up but it seem their last windows update was for windows vista)

And, another of the events you refer to might be the bugs and issues with Accordance 14 some user had when it initially released. I am not sure if Accordance 14 was released too early but I am convinced that Apple's change to new CPU architecture in November of 2020 maybe have exasperated some the issues that programs and end users experienced. 

12 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

To me I read "the users of this forum are not neglected," as dismissive of these concerns contained in several threads.

Then, I would like to take this time to apologize for not taking the time to write clearer and spell out what my intended point was. My intent was not to dismiss concerns on other threads but rather I wanted to point out that while OakTree Accordance executives are not interacting with us these days, at least some of the Accordance staff are taking the time to interact with us. I personally find that encouraging. 

I should not have responded when I did the way I did.

I was a little surprised, but now that I had read your detail explanation I can better understand what led to your frustration (and that of others, too).  I believe that you have every right to voice your frustration and opinions. 

Sorry for the interruption,

There was no interruption rather there was a beginning of honest dialogue. 

You do not need to apologize, I do. 

Hey, no problem, and thank you for the explanation!

Okay, I assume that we are both here on these forums because we both enjoy using Accordance and we both would like OakTree Accordance to do well and to succeed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

And, another of the events you refer to might be the bugs and issues with Accordance 14 some user had when it initially released. I am not sure if Accordance 14 was released too early but I am convinced that Apple's change to new CPU architecture in November of 2020 maybe have exasperated some the issues that programs and end users experienced. ...

And some users, perhaps especially Windows users, are still to this day experiencing major issues that started with the release of Version 14. And it has taken a long time to get to get some of these issues taken seriously, because they do not fit the pattern of how issues have been usually investigated and there are too many stock 'responses' that have effectively delayed validating these issues. I hope these issues will be fixed soon, but I'm told that one hypothesized fix may actually take a long time. I hope his hypothesis is not correct.

@robrecht thank you for sharing your perspective and explanations. 

1 hour ago, robrecht said:

I hope these issues will be fixed soon

I know it has been said before, but the SBL annual meeting for this year will start on the 18th of this month so I am convinced that the programers and other Accordance staff must be busy preparing for that. As we get close to the 18th maybe we will be seeing some updates to Accordance for windows, and few new surprises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian K. Mitchell said:

@robrecht thank you for sharing your perspective and explanations. 

I know it has been said before, but the SBL annual meeting for this year will start on the 18th of this month so I am convinced that the programers and other Accordance staff must be busy preparing for that. As we get close to the 18th maybe we will be seeing some updates to Accordance for windows, and few new surprises.

They need to be cranking out the final phases of 14 plus some new tools if they can at least hold their reputation intact at this point.

• Like 1

• Dr. Nathan Parker locked this topic