Accordance Module info

Tom Caton Sr.

5 hours ago, ukfraser said:

Keep an eye out for When these are on sale!

I would certainly add the jewish study bible to supplement the jps tanakh you already have. This is an excellent study bible and a really good starting point when first looking at a passage in Genesis etc and is a great compliment to the esv study bible you already have. (I like the esv but know nothing about your  hcsb.)

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/jewish-study-bible-notes-2nd-edition-2014/

i would also add beales commentary nt use of the ot. this is really useful for looking to see what the nt writers were thinking about. 
https://www.accordancebible.com/product/commentary-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament/

and for completeness i would add the jewish annotated nt as this adds a jewish insite to what the nt writers were thinking about. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/jewish-annotated-new-testament-2nd-edition-2017/

i still think i would consider adding nets to the translations you use as there is an argument that the nt writers were using a greek translation of the hebrew scriptures rather than the hebrew so it adds a level to what you are reading in genesis as its an english translation from the greek rather than from the hebrew which most translations use these days.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-english-translation-of-the-septuagint/

if you let us know what passge you are currently studying and what is your go to translation, im sure we could put a short translation from nets in this thread so you can see how the translation differs from your preferred translation. 

but as has already been said, you already have a good library so you can afford to wait for these to be on sale and only get these to supplement it.

i will also add that i knew nothing about beale or nets until they were mentioned on this forum and im so pleased i found out about them as they have proved very useful.

I am currently in Ezra. I use NASB with strong’s These are good recommendations and I have much to study on with them all. This is so helpful to me.

Here is part of Ezra from NETS for comparison 

And at the evening sacrifice I got up from my humiliation. And when I had torn my garments, and I was quivering and was getting down on my knees and spreading out my hands to the Lord God

and said, “O Lord, I was ashamed and hesitated to lift, O my God, my face to you, because our acts of lawlessness have multiplied above our heads, and our errors have been increased up to heaven. From the days of our fathers to this day we are in error, and for our acts of lawlessness we and our kings and our sons have been handed over in the hand of the kings of the nations, by sword and by captivity and by plundering and by shame of our face, as this day. And now the Lord, our God, was fair with us to leave us for salvation and give us support in the place of his holiness in order that he might brighten our eyes and grant us a little vitality in our slavery. Because we are slaves, the Lord, our God, has not forsaken us even in our slavery and inclined mercy upon us before the kings of the Persians, to give us vitality that they might raise up the house of our God and to repair its ruins and to give us a fence in Iouda and in Ierousalem.

(Ezra 9:5-9 NETS)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Ps, in the uk, some of our bible colleges run one week residential introductory crash courses on greek and hebrew during the vacations which are useful tasters to get you started and see how you get on as they are focussed. You may have similar courses on your side of the pond!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Would you elaborate on those courses in your area? How they might help a beginner like myself? If it’s not too much trouble. Thanks for the information sir.

There are considerable differences in language in the two. I have really been waiting for the right sales to come along to pull the trigger on some much desired  text. 

40 minutes ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

Would you elaborate on those courses in your area? How they might help a beginner like myself? If it’s not too much trouble. Thanks for the information sir.

This is the sort of course i was thinking about, its 6 days just looking at nt greek and at sarum you can stay on site so spend time with other students. A bit like a weeks vacation!  It depends if you like classroom style where you are interacting with tutor and students for a short time concentrated time, or if you like online  such as an evening a week over a prolonged period. It comes down to style and if your memory has been defragged recently or like mine, is very RAM based now. 

;o) 

https://www.sarum.ac.uk/short-courses/new-testament-greek-2023/

Edited by ukfraser

9 minutes ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

There are considerable differences in language in the two. I have really been waiting for the right sales to come along to pull the trigger on some much desired  text. 

You have just missed an oxford one, expired about a week ago for nets and jsb but they come up on sale about three or four times a year so keep your eyes open. 

• Like 1

Southern Baptist Seminary offers some short Greek/Hebrew courses (since they do the Daily Dose of Greek/Hebrew as well). There are some good videos on the Daily Dose of Greek/Hebrew that would get your feet wet with the grammar before you invest any money in biblical language training. That and working through a couple of grammars in Accordance would get you off to a start.

All of the module recommendations posted here I'd recommend as well. @ukfraser has give you some good gems of recommendations to add to your library.

As I work on additional module overview videos, I'll try to show the practical benefits of various modules, including real-world applications on how I've actually used them. That way it's not just a sales pitch video but allowing you to see how to put the module to work for you in a real-world setting.

Tomorrow's sale might give you an opportunity to bulk up your library. 🙂 

You’re a good man. I like your values of going their extra mile to explain singing. Also your willingness to go above in your job.

It speaks Christlikeness to the world . I will look tomorrow and also check out Southern Baptist for the classes. Mr Lyons prayers must be working.

• Like 1

Glad to assist anytime! For the record, I completed my Greek/Hebrew training at Luther Rice. They're also a great online option if you need it.

• Like 1

Mr Parker thank you all this information. I am processing it and looking on line today at the end of summer sale. I took a look at a webinar the other night on basic greek  and it recommended a greek New Testement . I am asking the Holy Spirit to guide me as I explore my options.

13 minutes ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

Mr Parker thank you all this information. I am processing it and looking on line today at the end of summer sale. I took a look at a webinar the other night on basic greek  and it recommended a greek New Testement . I am asking the Holy Spirit to guide me as I explore my options.

Tom, You already have one to experiment with while you decide how you are being prompted to proceed. 

• Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) with Strong's

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thank you for that insight. I am looking at it now. I noticed some of the interlunar like Gloss (English) did not show up and all chapters where not there. I had NASB open and was trying to search for a word in greek in the GNT and the key number. Exploring if you will. So the 

The NA28 or the UBS5 and Tyndale Greek NT what is your recommendations there?

Thank you Daniel.

The Textus Receptus is the Greek NT underlying the KJV. It won't line up ideally with the NASB since you'll want the GNT 28, UBS 5, or NA 28 for that.

Welcome to the fun world of textual criticism. 🙂 

• Like 1