Accordance Module info

Tom Caton Sr.

When I chose the book Joshua in timeline this information about modules LXX1 & LXX2 came up. It say’s both were required. I am not up on all bible modules and text so it’s speaking greek to me. I do not understand. There have been many instances with accordance where I would like to purchase a module or book but was unsure how it would be helpful to us in our studies. It would be helpful if I was better informed but unfortunately I am not. I do not understand greek and Hebrew unless their is a translation for me. Not sure what this is referring to. 

Would you help me to understand a way that I might be able to make a more informed decision.

Thank you kindly

Parallel LXX Text

The following books (or portions of books) have more than one version in the LXX:

1. Joshua

2. Judges

3. Tobit

4. Daniel (including Suzanna and Bel).

In order to easily display these books in parallel in Accordance, a separate text module named LXX2 is used. This module is treated as if it were a separate text, so that the equivalent texts in both the LXX1 and LXX2 module can be searched separately, but displayed in parallel (such as the two translations of the book of Daniel). Both texts can also be searched together in the Search All window, or in the Text Group feature, or by use of the [LINK xxx] command.  Both text modules must be added to Accordance in order to have access to both modules.

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 5.33.33 PM.png

Edited by Tom Caton Sr.

Hi @Tom Caton Sr.,

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly, but assuming that I do, the LXX is the main LXX text, while the LXX2 contains "alternate versions of the text." So they would be able to be treated as two different texts, since they truly are. Searching LXX1 in the store seems to show it can be bought separately, while LXX2 is only available in a bundle of LXX1 and LXX2 together.

On a side note, the LXX is not tagged the same way as the Greek in the NT, so if you don't know Greek, I would personally look into one of the LXX translations instead. Accordance has a few LXX translations, and while none of them seem to be very literal, they can sometimes provide an interesting perspective.

I hope this helps some.
Kristin

Kristin, I appreciate your response. Yes, it did shed some light on the subject for me. I still am lost though on choosing modules and books that would benefit our studies. I am a pastor and disciple maker so, I love to go deep I am just cluless with greek and Hebrew language . I have many commentaries and references, study bibles and dictionary’s. Here is a shot of some of the tools I have.. I wonder if there is something else that might be helpful?

Screen Shot 2023-09-01 at 8.06.06 PM.png

• Like 1

If there's anything on our website you want to learn more about, I can whip up a screen recording of it or post some additional screenshot samples,

What Accordance package do you currently own? If you own Triple Learner or Triple Discoverer, that's a good collection to start with.

What all are you wanting to do in your Bible study? If I can gain a better insight about what you're wanting to do, I (and others) can give you some module recommendations.

• Like 2

If you don't know Greek, the LXX modules are not going to be helpful to you.  I really don't know why a reference to it came up when workin in the timeline, unless something is set wrong in your timeline preferences or they have become corrupted.  

Given what you have said about your knowledge and interests, I'm not even sure an English translation of the LXX (like NETS) would be all that helpful to you, unless you were working in an OT book where there are significant differences  between the Hebrew and LXX texts and you wanted to get a feel for that.

Your screen shot only gives a list of the categories, not specific tools, so I can't comment there.

"Best" modules/tools vary a lot both by use case and by theological perspective. 

As a general rule, these are some of the resources I would suggest to a pastor wanting to go deep but who does not know Greek or Hebrew.  For reference, I am a pastor who does know (and use) Greek and Hebrew and I have been using Accordance for more than a decade.

• At least 2 Strongs or G/K tagged texts; if possible one of those should be the translation you use in worship/use most often
  • Additional translations...ideally Strongs or G/K tagged
  • The NET Bible (for it's extensive translation notes)
  • At least one good Bible Dictionary. My preferences are the NIB one volume and the Anchor Bible Dictionary, but some traditions would find those too "liberal."  There are a number of more conservative Bible Dictionaries available in Accordance, but I don't know much about them. 
  • Timeline and Atlas (It sounds like you have the Timeline already)
  • If you teach and like to use visuals, the Photo Guides and other photo and art collections are helpful
  • Comfort Text Commentary: this work looks at all the variant readings of the New Testament, notes which modern translations use which variants, etc.  It is far more approachable than Metzger's Text Commentary, especially for those who do not know Greek.  
  • If you are fluent or reasonably fluent in additional modern languages, Accordance Bible modules in those languages, if available.  (For example, I was a French major in college:  I have a number of French Bibles in Accordance)
  • The Jewish Annotated New Testament (2nd edition) offers an interesting perspective on the text, and sometimes corrects assumptions Christians have made about Jewish beliefs.   I have the Jewish Study Bible for the same reason.
  • New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology NIDNTT...the older version, not the newer NIDNTTE.  I say that specifically because you don't know Greek.  In this work, major Greek words are discussed, but it is designed for people who don't know Greek, and transliterates the Greek (uses latin letters to represent the Greek). the newer NIDNTTE uses the Greek alphabet.  Which, as someone who does know Greek, i prefer.  (Transliteration drives me nuts).  But if you aren't familiar with Greek, NIDNTT (no E) would be a better entry point.  

I hate to disagree with Nathan, but if you don't know Greek and Hebrew, I would not recommend any of the Triple collections. 

• Like 5

Hi @Tom Caton Sr.,
In case it is helpful, I would like to comment to the above posts.

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

If there's anything on our website you want to learn more about, I can whip up a screen recording of it or post some additional screenshot samples

That is a cool offer, thanks for mentioning that. :)

2 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

I hate to disagree with Nathan, but if you don't know Greek and Hebrew, I would not recommend any of the Triple collections. 

I agreed with pretty much everything Lorinda said, but I especially agree with this point.

2 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

If you teach and like to use visuals, the Photo Guides and other photo and art collections are helpful... Comfort Text Commentary: this work looks at all the variant readings of the New Testament, notes which modern translations use which variants, etc.  It is far more approachable than Metzger's Text Commentary, especially for those who do not know Greek. 

I love the Photo Guides. They not only show pictures, but are packed with interesting and helpful information. I agree that Metzger's is very user friendly for people who do not know Greek, but I would personally only get this if you are interested in textual criticism.

Take care,
Kristin

• Like 1

@Tom Caton Sr. Maybe it's not convenient for you, but is there any possibility of you starting to learn Biblical Greek? There are plenty of resources available on Accordance for this purpose. I think a knowledge of the original languages would prove very useful to you in Bible studies.

Edited by Gordon Lyons
Name added.
  • Like 1

@Tom Caton Sr. Thank you for adding a screen shot to your first post.  That clarified what you were seeing and why.  For some reason, your Timeline settings are pulling from the "Accordance Module Info" module when you hover over/click on a timeline entry.  I'll get to how to change that in a minute.

What is happening currently, is that Accordance is search the "Accordance Module Info" (AMI) source for the name you choose: in this case Joshua.  The first hit on Joshua in AMI is in the article on LXX1 and LXX2.  It appear there because Joshua is one of the books that has two different versions in the Septuagint (or LXX).  We tend to refer to the LXX as one translation, but in fact it's more complicated than that, at least in terms of some books.

To change the resource Accordances uses when you hover over or click on an item in the timeline, go to Accordance>Settings>Timeline Display

In the Hypertext section, set 'Default Tool' to the resource you want to use.  Generally speaking, a solid Bible Dictionary is the best choice. 

Note: if you are using a pre-Ventura OS on your mac, you may not see "Settings" under the Accordance menu.  In that case, it would be Preferences. 

11 hours ago, Kristin said:

.....I agree that Metzger's is very user friendly for people who do not know Greek, but I would personally only get this if you are interested in textual criticism.

I have found Comfort (not so much Metzger) helpful when teaching Bible Study and someone notices that two different translations read very differently or they notice a footnote that says "Some ancient manuscripts add......" or the like.  It's quick and easy to see what's going on in the manuscripts, and which translations make which decisions. 

As the initial post includes

Joshua

2. Judges

3. Tobit

4. Daniel (including Suzanna and Bel).

i would also consider

beale's nt use of the ot

the jps translation

the jewish study bible

and i would also have included the nets as a different translation as there is an argument that the nt writers were using the greek translation of the scriptures rather than the hebrew

for the apocrypha (suzamnna and bell etc) this trio all work well as they have the parallel texts and are formatted to work together:

nrsv

oxford study bible

oxford single volume commentary

(and when we get it the jewish annotated apocrypha.)

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

I have found Comfort (not so much Metzger) helpful when teaching Bible Study and someone notices that two different translations read very differently or they notice a footnote that says "Some ancient manuscripts add......" or the like.  It's quick and easy to see what's going on in the manuscripts, and which translations make which decisions. 

Hi @Lorinda H. M. Hoover,
You are completely right, I had mistyped. I had meant that Comfort was easier. Nonetheless, my comments above about not needing it unless you want to get into textual criticism remain and had been directed about Comfort. If someone wants to do light textual criticism, I agree that it is for sure the right book, but I wouldn't personally think it is good to do textual criticism at all without Greek, hence not recommending it.

True on the Greek/Hebrew stuff if you haven't learned (or aren't planning on learning) Greek or Hebrew. Honestly, I'd recommend even trying to dabble on learning a little Greek and Hebrew on Daily Dose of Greek and Hebrew if you can. It'll definitely open new doors for you.

I like the recommended Bible dictionaries. I also like ISBE Revised, Evangelical Dictionary of Theology 3rd edition, and Dictionary of Biblical Theology.

I like Butler's Analytical Bible Expositor for preachers. Ancient Christian is also interesting if you want to dabble in the Fathers. Tyndale is a populat commentary as well.

Complete Biblical Library or the Word Study Dictionary OT/NT will let you dabble in biblical language word study even if you don't have formal training. I used them quite a bit before I learned the languages, and I still consult them. I like NIDOTTE/NIDNTTE as well.

I love the visual stuff (Atlas, PhotoGuide, PhotoMuseum). I could spend way too much time clicking through these books. They're so rich!

Enhanced Treasury is useful.

I love the Jewish study Bibles and annotated NT. I use them quite a bit. I also use Thompson Chain Reference (we're trying to bring it back) all the time.

Any of the preaching resources would be good for you, and I'd recommend a couple of theologies such as Ryrie Basic and Erickson Christian or Akin A Theology for the Church.

The theological journals are great, even though they cut off at a certain date. We're working on gradually updating them, but I still heavily use what we already have. 

Comfort Textual Commentary is good. You'll find it useful for sure.

One commentary resource I've found particularly helpful is the Zondervan Bible Background Commentaries, both the OT and the NT set.  I got them on sale years ago, and have never been sorry.  (they go on sale periodically, so if you don't already have them, keep an eye out for them)

• Like 1

They are good. I never had a chance to fully invest in them during seminary. Now that I have them, I'll get a ton of use out of them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

One commentary resource I've found particularly helpful is the Zondervan Bible Background Commentaries, both the OT and the NT set.  I got them on sale years ago, and have never been sorry.  (they go on sale periodically, so if you don't already have them, keep an eye out for them)

Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/zondervan-illustrated-bible-backgrounds-commentary-ot-5-vols-and-nt-5-vols/

Seems the normal Accordance price is $499.99.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, EricC said:

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/zondervan-illustrated-bible-backgrounds-commentary-ot-5-vols-and-nt-5-vols/

Thanks!

Yep. I bought them long ago, so the normal price was probably less back then, but you can see why I waited for a sale!

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover

On 9/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, Nathan Parker said:

If there's anything on our website you want to learn more about, I can whip up a screen recording of it or post some additional screenshot samples,

What Accordance package do you currently own? If you own Triple Learner or Triple Discoverer, that's a good collection to start with.

What all are you wanting to do in your Bible study? If I can gain a better insight about what you're wanting to do, I (and others) can give you some module recommendations.

Mr. Parker these are the modules and text, tools I have. Thank you for your responce.

40 Days, 40 Prayers, 40 Words

A Little Book for New Theologians

Abraham Lincoln Collection of Five (5) Works

• Abe Lincoln’s Anecdotes & Stories
  • Abraham Lincoln: Was He a Christian?
  • Abraham Lincoln’s Religion
  • Lincoln’s Use of the Bible
  • Soul of Abraham Lincoln, The

Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Set of 6 Collections

• Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Egypt Collection
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Europe Collection
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Israel Collection
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Near East Collection
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Overview
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Turkey Collection

Accordance Software Version 14 Upgrade

Accordance Timeline Expanded Edition

Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, The (6 volumes)

Android1 Starter

• ASV Notes
  • Accordance Atlas Sampler
  • Accordance PhotoGuide Sampler
  • Accordance Timeline Sampler
  • American Standard Version
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • BiblicalTraining.org Collection
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Demo of Greek NT (fully tagged Matthew 1-3)
  • Demo of Hebrew Bible (fully tagged Genesis 1-3)
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • Dr. J’s Bible Study Methods
  • ESV with Strong's (Free)
  • ESVi Notes
  • Easton’s Bible Dictionary
  • French: Louis Segond Bible
  • German Elberfelder 1905
  • German Lutherbibel 1912
  • Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana 1974
  • Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana 2008
  • Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana 2008 (Parallel)
  • Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana 2008 Note
  • King James Version Apocrypha
  • King James Version with Strong’s
  • Kohlenberger/Mounce Concise Hebrew-Aramaic Dictionary
  • Mounce Concise Greek-English Dictionary of the New Testament
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • Outlines of the Bible Books
  • Parables and Miracles
  • Portuguese Bible: João Ferreira De Almeida Atualizada
  • Read Me Information on Modules
  • Romanian: Versiunea Dumitru Cornilescu 2014
  • Romanian: Versiunea Dumitru Cornilescu 2014 Note
  • Spanish 1909 Reina Valera with Strong’s numbers
  • Strong's Greek Dictionary
  • Strong’s Hebrew Dictionary
  • WEB Notes
  • World English Bible

Apostolic Fathers (Lightfoot) (Greek and English)

• Apostolic Fathers – Lightfoot (English translation)
  • Apostolic Fathers (Lightfoot) (Greek and English)

Basic Starter Collection (Accordance 12)

• ASV Notes
  • Accordance Software Version 12
  • BBE Intro
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Bible in Basic English
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ESV Notes
  • Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible
  • English Standard Version with Strong’s
  • Epistles Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Getting Started with Accordance
  • Gospel Harmony Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Gospel Synopsis Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) with Strong's
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • New Bible Commentary
  • Old Testament Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Old Testament in New Testament Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Parables and Miracles
  • Q (Sayings) Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • Synoptic Gospels Parallel (not for Mobile)
  • The Bible in Its Context (English and Spanish)
  • The Bible in Its Context: How to Improve Your Study of the Scriptures (Spanish)
  • Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
  • WEB Notes
  • Webster’s 1913 Unabridged English Dictionary
  • World English Bible

Butler’s Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 1): Synopsis

Christian Standard Bible (2017) (Untagged)

• CSB17 Notes
  • Christian Standard Bible (2017) (Untagged)

Christian Standard Bible (2017) with Strong’s Numbers

• CSB17 Notes
  • Christian Standard Bible (2017) with Strong’s Numbers

Christmas Classics

Classic 7 Bundle

• Adam Clarke’s Commentary (6 volumes)
  • Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament
  • Bird’s Eye View of the Bible, A
  • Christian Workers’ Commentary on the OT and NT (James Gray)
  • How to Master the English Bible (James Gray)
  • International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915 Edition)
  • People’s New Testament (2 volumes)

• Comfort: New Testament Text and Translation Commentary

Commentary on Micah (Waltke)

Competent to Counsel

Counseling Couples in Conflict

Crucial Questions Series by R.C. Sproul (17 volumes)

Dictionary of Biblical Imagery

Disciple’s Study Bible (1988 Classic Version)

Disciplines of a Godly Man
    • Disciplines of a Godly Man
    • M’Cheyne Family Readings
    • M’Cheyne Secret Readings
    • Through the Bible Reading Plan
    • Topical Guide to Daily Devotional Bible Reading in a Year

ESV Study Bible

• ESV Notes
  • ESV SB Reading Plan
  • ESV Study Bible
  • English Standard Version

Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible

• Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible
  • Eerdmans Commentary on the Bible (Intro to Pseud; 1 Enoch)

English Discoverer Collection (Accordance 12)

• ASV Notes
  • American Church Dictionary and Cyclopedia
  • America’s Governmental and Cultural Heritage
  • Assorted Quotations
  • BBE Intro
  • Barnes’ Notes on the New Testament
  • Barnes’ Notes on the Old Testament
  • Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations
  • Beginning in Mark: An Example Accordance Bible Study
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • Bible Handbook, Theologically Arranged (Holliday)
  • Bible History: Old Testament (Edersheim)
  • Bible Knowledge Commentary (2 Volumes)
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Bible in Basic English
  • Bishop’s Bible
  • Butler’s Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 2): Sermonettes
  • Butler’s Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 3): Sermonettes
  • Butler’s Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 4): Study Questions
  • Butler’s Daily Bible Reading (Vol. 1): Synopsis
  • CEB Notes
  • CEB2
  • CEB2 Notes
  • Calvin’s Commentaries (Complete) (22 volumes)
  • Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
  • Christianity and Ethics
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Collection of Hymns
  • Commentary on Acts of the Apostles (J.W. McGarvey)
  • Commentary on Mark by G. A. Chadwick
  • Commentary on the Epistle to the Ephesians
  • Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians
  • Commenting and Commentaries
  • Common English Bible with Apocrypha and Notes
  • Complete Gathered Gold, The
  • Creeds, Confessions, and Catechisms
  • D.L. Moody’s Thoughts for the Quiet Hour
  • Daily Guidance: A Book of Daily Bible Readings (Martin Manser)
  • Daily Light on the Daily Path
  • Daily Strength for Daily Needs
  • Darby Version
  • Days of Heaven Upon Earth
  • Devotional Readings
  • Diary of an Old Soul
  • Dictionary of Bible Themes
  • Dictionary of Early Christian Biography
  • Dictionary of Quotations from Ancient and Modern English and Foreign Sources
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ERV Notes
  • ESV Notes
  • English Revised Version
  • Evidences of Christianity by William Paley
  • Experiencing God Day by Day Devotional
  • Experiencing God, 15th Anniversary Edition
  • Exposition of the Epistle of James
  • Expositions of Holy Scripture (Alexander MacLaren)
  • Expository Dictionary of Bible Words
  • Expository Thoughts on the Gospels
  • Faith's Checkbook
  • Faithful Promiser, The
  • Figures of Speech Used in the Bible: Explained and Illustrated (Bullinger)
  • Foxe’s Book of Martyrs
  • Fresh Illustrations (6 Volumes) (Wilson)
  • GWORD Notes
  • Genealogies of the Bible (Plus Lists of Notable Persons) (not for Mobile)
  • Geneva Bible (1599)
  • God's Word Translation – Dictionary
  • God’s Way of Peace by Horatius Bonar
  • God’s Word Translation with Notes
  • Greatest English Classic
  • Guide to Bible Study by J. W. McGarvey
  • HCSB Bullets
  • HCSB Notes
  • HCSB Study Bible Notes
  • HCSB Study Bible Reading Plan
  • Hard Sayings of the Bible
  • History of American Christianity, A
  • History of the Jewish Nation after the Destruction of Jerusalem under Titus (Edersheim)
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible with Strong’s Numbers
  • Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
  • Holman Old and New Testament Commentaries (32 volumes)
  • Holman Treasury of Key Bible Words
  • Holy Bible:  Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
  • How to Be Happy Though Married
  • Hymn Writers of the Church
  • IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (2nd Edition)
  • IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary for the Study of Biblical Hebrew
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary for the Study of NT Greek
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Church History
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Ethics
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms
  • Imitation of Christ, The (Thomas à Kempis)
  • International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915 Edition)
  • Introduction to the New Testament (Louis Berkhof)
  • Jamieson, Fausset & Brown’s Commentary on the Whole Bible
  • John Gill's Works on Divinity
  • John Knox and the Reformation
  • John Wesley’s Explanatory Notes of the Whole Bible
  • Kneeling Christian, The (By An Unknown Christian)
  • Leaves of Life
  • Life App SB Readings
  • Life Application Study Bible Notes
  • Life and Select Works of George Müller
  • Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah (Edersheim)
  • Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Little Folded Hands
  • M’Cheyne Family Readings
  • Manners and Customs in the Bible
  • Many Thoughts of Many Minds
  • Matthew Henry Complete Commentary
  • Message Notes
  • Message, The
  • Morning Bells (Frances Havergal)
  • Morning and Evening (Charles Spurgeon)
  • My Daily Meditation For The Circling Year
  • M’Cheyne Secret Readings
  • NABRE Notes
  • NABRE Outlines
  • NAS Greek Dictionary
  • NAS Hebrew Dictionary
  • NAS Topical Index
  • NAS95S Cross References and Translators’ Notes
  • NASB (1977) Cross References and Translators’ Notes
  • NIV New International Version 2011 with G/K numbers
  • NIV11 Notes
  • NKJV Notes
  • NLT-SE Notes
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • New American Bible, Revised Edition
  • New American Standard 1995 with Strong’s
  • New American Standard Bible (1977)
  • New Bible Commentary
  • New Bible Dictionary
  • New English Translation Bible (2nd Edition) with Strong’s Numbers
  • New English Translation Notes
  • New King James Version with Strong’s Numbers
  • New Living Translation Second Edition
  • New Testament Commentary (Vol. 3: John) by B. W. Johnson
  • New Topical Textbook, The
  • Our Daily Homily (Meyer)
  • Parables and Miracles
  • Parsing Guide to the Greek Text of the KJV
  • Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence
  • Preface to the King James Version of 1611
  • Prophecy and History in Relation to the Messiah (Edersheim)
  • Psalms and Hymns of Isaac Watts
  • Pursuit of God, The (A. W. Tozer)
  • Quiet Talks (S. D. Gordon)
  • School of Calvary, The (J. H. Jowett)
  • Select Theological Writings of Adam Clarke
  • Select Works of John Bunyan
  • Selected Works of D. L. Moody
  • Selected Works on Prayer by E. M. Bounds
  • Sketches of Church History
  • Sketches of Jewish Life (Edersheim)
  • Smith’s Bible Dictionary
  • Spanish La Biblia de las Américas
  • Spanish La Biblia de las Américas (Notas)
  • Spanish: Nueva Biblia Latinoamericana de Hoy
  • Spanish: Nueva Biblia de las Américas (Notas)
  • Studies in the Epistle of James
  • Summary of Christian Doctrine (Louis Berkhof)
  • Systematic Theology (Hodge)
  • Systematic Theology by Augustus H. Strong
  • Temple, The (Alfred Edersheim)
  • The Bible in Its Context: How to Improve Your Study of the Scriptures (Spanish)
  • Tischendorf on the Gospels
  • True Vine (Andrew Murray)
  • Tyndale Bible (William Tyndale)
  • Tyndale Commentary (49 volumes) – Original Volumes
  • Valentine Verses and Valentine Verse
  • Venite
  • Vincent’s Word Studies in the New Testament
  • WEB Notes
  • WEBSTR Intro
  • Webster Bible, The
  • Weymouth New Testament
  • Wigram’s Hebrew Verb Parsings
  • Words of Jesus, The
  • World English Bible
  • Young’s Literal Translation of the Holy Bible

English Learner Collection (Accordance 12)

• ASV Notes
  • American Church Dictionary and Cyclopedia
  • America’s Governmental and Cultural Heritage
  • Assorted Quotations
  • BBE Intro
  • Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations
  • Beginning in Mark: An Example Accordance Bible Study
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • Bible Handbook, Theologically Arranged (Holliday)
  • Bible History: Old Testament (Edersheim)
  • Bible Knowledge Commentary (2 Volumes)
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Bible in Basic English
  • CEB Notes
  • CEB2
  • CEB2 Notes
  • Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Collection of Hymns
  • Commenting and Commentaries
  • Common English Bible with Apocrypha and Notes
  • Creeds, Confessions, and Catechisms
  • D.L. Moody’s Thoughts for the Quiet Hour
  • Daily Guidance: A Book of Daily Bible Readings (Martin Manser)
  • Daily Light on the Daily Path
  • Daily Strength for Daily Needs
  • Darby Version
  • Days of Heaven Upon Earth
  • Devotional Readings
  • Diary of an Old Soul
  • Dictionary of Early Christian Biography
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ERV Notes
  • ESV Notes
  • Experiencing God Day by Day Devotional
  • Experiencing God, 15th Anniversary Edition
  • Expository Dictionary of Bible Words
  • Faith's Checkbook
  • Faithful Promiser, The
  • Figures of Speech Used in the Bible: Explained and Illustrated (Bullinger)
  • Fresh Illustrations (6 Volumes) (Wilson)
  • GWORD Notes
  • God's Word Translation – Dictionary
  • God’s Word Translation with Notes
  • Greatest English Classic
  • Guide to Bible Study by J. W. McGarvey
  • History of the Jewish Nation after the Destruction of Jerusalem under Titus (Edersheim)
  • Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
  • Holman Treasury of Key Bible Words
  • Holy Bible:  Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)
  • Hymn Writers of the Church
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary for the Study of Biblical Hebrew
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary for the Study of NT Greek
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Church History
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Ethics
  • IVP: Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms
  • John Knox and the Reformation
  • John Wesley’s Explanatory Notes of the Whole Bible
  • Kneeling Christian, The (By An Unknown Christian)
  • Leaves of Life
  • Life and Select Works of George Müller
  • Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah (Edersheim)
  • Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Little Folded Hands
  • Matthew Henry Complete Commentary
  • Morning Bells (Frances Havergal)
  • Morning and Evening (Charles Spurgeon)
  • My Daily Meditation For The Circling Year
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • New Bible Commentary
  • New English Translation Bible (2nd Edition) with Strong’s Numbers
  • New English Translation Notes
  • New Topical Textbook, The
  • Our Daily Homily (Meyer)
  • Parables and Miracles
  • Parsing Guide to the Greek Text of the KJV
  • Preface to the King James Version of 1611
  • Prophecy and History in Relation to the Messiah (Edersheim)
  • Psalms and Hymns of Isaac Watts
  • Pursuit of God, The (A. W. Tozer)
  • Quiet Talks (S. D. Gordon)
  • School of Calvary, The (J. H. Jowett)
  • Select Works of John Bunyan
  • Selected Works of D. L. Moody
  • Sketches of Church History
  • Sketches of Jewish Life (Edersheim)
  • Temple, The (Alfred Edersheim)
  • True Vine (Andrew Murray)
  • Tyndale Commentary (49 volumes) – Original Volumes
  • WEB Notes
  • WEBSTR Intro
  • Webster Bible, The
  • Weymouth New Testament
  • Wigram’s Hebrew Verb Parsings
  • Words of Jesus, The
  • World English Bible
  • Young’s Literal Translation of the Holy Bible

Expositor’s Bible Commentary – Abridged Edition (2 volumes)

FREE Matthew Henry’s Commentary (Condensed)

Falling into Goodness (DeGroat)

Free Trial Upgrade (Basic Starter: Accordance 13)

• ASV Notes
  • Accordance Software Version 13
  • BBE Intro
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Bible in Basic English
  • CUVS-SIMP
  • Chinese Union Version with Strong’s Numbers, Traditional and Simplified
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ESV Notes
  • Jamieson, Fausset & Brown’s Commentary on the Whole Bible
  • Korean Bible: New Korean Revised Version (with Notes)
  • NKRV Notes
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • New Bible Commentary
  • Parables and Miracles
  • WEB Notes
  • World English Bible

Fruit of the Spirit Bible Studies

Full-time Minister Discount

Graphics Learner Collection (Accordance 12)

• Accordance Bible Atlas 2.2
  • Accordance Bible Lands PhotoGuide: Overview
  • Accordance Gallery of Bible Art
  • Accordance Timeline
  • Altitude data
  • Atlas files
  • Beige background
  • Browns background
  • Colors background
  • Dictionary of Place Names
  • Grays background
  • Green background
  • Historic Views of the Holy Land: Bible Places – Views That Have Vanished
  • Holman Book of Biblical Charts, Maps, & Reconstructions
  • Infrared background
  • Light Browns background
  • Light Colors background
  • Listing of Atlas Sites
  • New Bible Atlas
  • Night Vision background
  • Satellite Bible Atlas
  • Satellite background
  • Vivid Colors background
  • White background

Greek Study Group

• Deissmann’s Bible Studies
  • Robertson’s Greek Grammar
  • Syntax of the Moods and Tenses in New Testament Greek (Burton)
  • Trench’s Synonyms of the New Testament

Hardest Sermons You’ll Ever Have to Preach, The – Bryan Chapell

Heart Is the Target, The

Holman Bible Atlas

Holman Christian Standard Bible with Strong’s Numbers

• HCSB Bullets
  • HCSB Notes
  • Holman Christian Standard Bible with Strong’s Numbers

Holman Illustrated Study Bible Notes

Homiletical Handbook (Hamilton)

Hort Commentary (Rom., Eph., parts James, 1Pet., Rev)

IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament (2nd Edition)

International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (1915 Edition)

JPS Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society) with Strong’s Numbers

• JPS Notes
  • JPS Tanakh (Jewish Publication Society) with Strong’s Numbers

Josephus English and Notes

• JOSEPH Notes
  • Josephus English and Notes

King James Version (1611) Notes

Learning Theology with the Church Fathers

Listening to the Spirit in the Text (Fee)

Lite Collection (Accordance 12) FREE

• Bible Names Dictionary
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ESVi Notes
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • Parables and Miracles
  • WEB Notes
  • World English Bible

Lite Collection (Accordance 13) FREE

• Bible Names Dictionary
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ESVi Notes
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • Parables and Miracles
  • WEB Notes
  • World English Bible

MacArthur Bible Handbook, The

Malachi Then and Now (Ross)

Mounce Interlinear New Testament with G/K Numbers and Phrase Tagging

• Mounce Interlinear New Testament with G/K Numbers and Phrase Tagging

Mounce’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words

NAS Group

• NAS Greek Dictionary
  • NAS Hebrew Dictionary
  • NAS Topical Index
  • NAS95S Cross References and Translators’ Notes
  • NASB (1977) Cross References and Translators’ Notes
  • New American Standard 1995 with Strong’s
  • New American Standard Bible (1977)
  • Spanish La Biblia de las Américas
  • Spanish La Biblia de las Américas (Notas)
  • Spanish: Nueva Biblia Latinoamericana de Hoy
  • Spanish: Nueva Biblia de las Américas (Notas)

NICNT: The Book of the Acts, by F. F. Bruce

NICNT: The Gospel of Matthew, by R. T. France

NIV New International Version 2011 with G/K Numbers and Phrase Tagging

• NIV New International Version 2011 with G/K Numbers and Phrase Tagging
  • NIV11 Notes

New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged

New King James Version with Strong’s Numbers

• NKJV Notes
  • New King James Version with Strong’s Numbers

New Living Translation Second Edition

• NLT-SE Notes
  • New Living Translation Second Edition

New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha (2018)

• NOAB parallels
  • New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha (2018)

New Revised Standard Version with Strong’s Numbers

• NRSV Notes
  • NRSV2
  • NRSV2 Notes
  • New Revised Standard Version with Strong’s Numbers

• New Unger’s Bible Dictionary, The

Pascal’s Pensées (by Blaise Pascal)

Perseus Classics Bundle (Untagged Greek, English, and Notes)
    • Perseus Classics (English Translations)
    • Perseus Classics Bundle (Untagged Greek, English, and Notes)
    • Perseus Classics English Notes
    • Perseus Classics Greek Notes

• Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers (Hall)

Revelation: A Shorter Commentary (Beale)

Sin and Grace in Christian Counseling

Theology of Christian Counseling

Vine’s Expository Dictionary of OT and NT Words

Worshiping with the Church Fathers

Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the NT: Letters of John

Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the Old Testament (3 Volumes)
    • Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the OT: Jonah
    • Zondervan Exegetical Commentary on the Old Testament (3 Volumes)

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament (26 Books)

Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: New Testament (5 Volumes) (With Updated Volume on John)

iOS2 Starter

• ASV Notes
  • Bible Names Dictionary
  • Chronological Readings
  • Classic Bible Passages
  • Devotional Readings
  • Douay-Rheims Bible
  • ESVi Notes
  • Nave's Topical Bible
  • Parables and Miracles
  • WEB Notes
  • World English Bible

On 9/1/2023 at 8:48 PM, Lorinda H. M. Hoover said:

If you don't know Greek, the LXX modules are not going to be helpful to you.  I really don't know why a reference to it came up when workin in the timeline, unless something is set wrong in your timeline preferences or they have become corrupted.  

Given what you have said about your knowledge and interests, I'm not even sure an English translation of the LXX (like NETS) would be all that helpful to you, unless you were working in an OT book where there are significant differences  between the Hebrew and LXX texts and you wanted to get a feel for that.

Your screen shot only gives a list of the categories, not specific tools, so I can't comment there.

"Best" modules/tools vary a lot both by use case and by theological perspective. 

As a general rule, these are some of the resources I would suggest to a pastor wanting to go deep but who does not know Greek or Hebrew.  For reference, I am a pastor who does know (and use) Greek and Hebrew and I have been using Accordance for more than a decade.

• At least 2 Strongs or G/K tagged texts; if possible one of those should be the translation you use in worship/use most often
  • Additional translations...ideally Strongs or G/K tagged
  • The NET Bible (for it's extensive translation notes)
  • At least one good Bible Dictionary. My preferences are the NIB one volume and the Anchor Bible Dictionary, but some traditions would find those too "liberal."  There are a number of more conservative Bible Dictionaries available in Accordance, but I don't know much about them. 
  • Timeline and Atlas (It sounds like you have the Timeline already)
  • If you teach and like to use visuals, the Photo Guides and other photo and art collections are helpful
  • Comfort Text Commentary: this work looks at all the variant readings of the New Testament, notes which modern translations use which variants, etc.  It is far more approachable than Metzger's Text Commentary, especially for those who do not know Greek.  
  • If you are fluent or reasonably fluent in additional modern languages, Accordance Bible modules in those languages, if available.  (For example, I was a French major in college:  I have a number of French Bibles in Accordance)
  • The Jewish Annotated New Testament (2nd edition) offers an interesting perspective on the text, and sometimes corrects assumptions Christians have made about Jewish beliefs.   I have the Jewish Study Bible for the same reason.
  • New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology NIDNTT...the older version, not the newer NIDNTTE.  I say that specifically because you don't know Greek.  In this work, major Greek words are discussed, but it is designed for people who don't know Greek, and transliterates the Greek (uses latin letters to represent the Greek). the newer NIDNTTE uses the Greek alphabet.  Which, as someone who does know Greek, i prefer.  (Transliteration drives me nuts).  But if you aren't familiar with Greek, NIDNTT (no E) would be a better entry point.  

Mrs. Hoover Thank you for your response it is very helpful for me to consider. If you take a look at my post to Mr. Parker you will see what I currently have in my library. 

6 hours ago, EricC said:

Thanks!

I have the old and New Testament of this on Eric.

ZIBBCNT (26 BOOKS) Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary (New Testament) (ZIBBCNT-26) Clinton E. Arnold, General Editor Used by permission of Zondervan, Grand Rapids, MI 49530 U.S.A.. All rights reserved. See copyright information at the beginning of the respective books. Electronic text hypertexted and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc. Version 1.1   

On 9/2/2023 at 3:02 AM, Gordon Lyons said:

@Tom Caton Sr. Maybe it's not convenient for you, but is there any possibility of you starting to learn Biblical Greek? There are plenty of resources available on Accordance for this purpose. I think a knowledge of the original languages would prove very useful to you in Bible studies.

Mr Lyons I sincerely appreciate the encouragement . Pray for me as that is a mighty big learning curve at my age. Although I try hard to always be obedient to the Spirit should He direct me to do so.

• Like 1

You've got a great library so far! You have a great foundation to work with. I'd recommend attending some live webinars to help you get more out of Accordance, as well as watch the weekly sales. I'm going to try to start featuring more videos of some of the weekly sale items.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

You've got a great library so far! You have a great foundation to work with. I'd recommend attending some live webinars to help you get more out of Accordance, as well as watch the weekly sales. I'm going to try to start featuring more videos of some of the weekly sale items.

That would be very helpful for folks in my position Mr Parker.  Many times I have looked at modules only to not purchase because I don’t know really how they would benefit me not being a scholar or authority on these things. I would like to find some individual books on certain bible chapters that are particularly dedicated to these bible chapters. I tend to teach and study a book at a time starting with Genesis. Many folks are interested in the ne testament as I am also. However learning the old testament helps to understand the new testament . You folks have really given me a lot to consider here and I surely do appreciate your time.

Keep an eye out for When these are on sale!

I would certainly add the jewish study bible to supplement the jps tanakh you already have. This is an excellent study bible and a really good starting point when first looking at a passage in Genesis etc and is a great compliment to the esv study bible you already have. (I like the esv but know nothing about your  hcsb.)

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/jewish-study-bible-notes-2nd-edition-2014/

i would also add beales commentary nt use of the ot. this is really useful for looking to see what the nt writers were thinking about. 
https://www.accordancebible.com/product/commentary-on-the-new-testament-use-of-the-old-testament/

and for completeness i would add the jewish annotated nt as this adds a jewish insite to what the nt writers were thinking about. 

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/jewish-annotated-new-testament-2nd-edition-2017/

i still think i would consider adding nets to the translations you use as there is an argument that the nt writers were using a greek translation of the hebrew scriptures rather than the hebrew so it adds a level to what you are reading in genesis as its an english translation from the greek rather than from the hebrew which most translations use these days.

https://www.accordancebible.com/product/new-english-translation-of-the-septuagint/

if you let us know what passge you are currently studying and what is your go to translation, im sure we could put a short translation from nets in this thread so you can see how the translation differs from your preferred translation. 

but as has already been said, you already have a good library so you can afford to wait for these to be on sale and only get these to supplement it.

i will also add that i knew nothing about beale or nets until they were mentioned on this forum and im so pleased i found out about them as they have proved very useful.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom Caton Sr. said:

Mr Lyons I sincerely appreciate the encouragement . Pray for me as that is a mighty big learning curve at my age. Although I try hard to always be obedient to the Spirit should He direct me to do so.

@Tom Caton Sr. 

I will be happy to pray for you daily.

If, later, you decide to begin learning Hebrew or Greek, you would need to set aside sufficient time for your studies. Spending time learning Biblical languages can be a great asset in better understanding the meaning of the Biblical text. Nuances found in Greek and Hebrew cannot always be translated with the same precision into English.

Having said this, you may feel that fulfilment of your existing commitments may be all that the Lord requires of you. I will continue to pray for you in this regard.

By the way, age is not necessarily an obstacle here, so long as you have the fitness, time and ability to commit to some additional studying. I've known of people in their 80s who have successfully learned Hebrew and Greek for the first time! I'm not a Biblical languages scholar, but there are several people on the Accordance forums who are well-versed in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. They could point you in the right direction in regard to starting courses (primers) in Greek or Hebrew. I myself used Mounce's online lessons as part of my Greek studies, although I now have a wider range of Greek and Hebrew resources in my Accordance library.

Dr. Parker (Nathan) would also be able to recommend specific Accordance modules for this purpose.

Edited by Gordon Lyons
Update
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, Nathan Parker said:

Sorry for the slow response Mr. Parker. 

Thank you and Lyons for your response. 

• Like 1