Accordance and Tarot cards

Mark Allison

Wouldn't have expected a Bible software company to be endorsing Tarot readings. Maybe that's a hint at a new feature coming in 14.1, lol. 

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 12.17.01 PM.png

• Haha 6

8 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Wouldn't have expected a Bible software company to be endorsing Tarot readings.

It took me a bit to figure out what you meant. Good catch. 😂

• Like 2

Quoting a friend: "If only they had a piece of software they could COPY THE WORD FROM."

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

So, here's where we're at:

1. Accordance wants to do a media push for original language studies.
  2. The motto "learn the lingo" is decided as the key phrase for the campaign.
  3. Accordance publishes an image for this campaign which...doesn't have the correct word for Torah.

I can't think of a better way to undermine the message of the campaign.

• Like 5

Since we're here, let's do some source criticism, but then I really should get back to work.

Lexical form: תּוֹרָה

(the graphic is not that)

Construct form: תּוֹרַת

(getting closer... did this influence the graphic-as-we-have-it?)

Closest I could find:

Jeremiah 32:23 (BHS, surface text w/ textual issue): וּבְתֹרָותְךָ֣

But I'm guessing a copy-paste left-to-right issue. Still, why the Taw at the end and not the He?

• Like 2

And if you don't have Accordance you can use ChatGPT 🙂

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 1.31.23 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

And if you don't have Accordance you can use ChatGPT 🙂

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 1.31.23 PM.png

But….but….

• Haha 1

Just now, Wes Allen said:

But….but….

Lol. It does make you wonder if there's anyone left at Accordance who can read Hebrew (besides David Lang of course). 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My my my!

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Lol. It does make you wonder if there's anyone left at Accordance who can read Hebrew (besides David Lang of course). 

There are, but I am not one of them. And I am the one who made the graphic. It's in the process of being updated.

• Like 3

It's a new feature we've added to the website where we can tell you future Accordance versions before they're released. 🙂 

In all seriousness, I just reported the Hebrew word issue. Thanks for pointing it out!

I can read Hebrew, but I didn't look closely enough at the graphic. Sorry about that! I'll start double-checking Hebrew a bit better. 🙂 

• Like 1

We copy/pasted it from Accordance, and there is a bug in 14.0.7 where some Hebrew is copy/pasting incorrectly. We'll address that shortly.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

We copy/pasted it from Accordance, and there is a bug in 14.0.7 where some Hebrew is copy/pasting incorrectly. We'll address that shortly.

That's a pretty serious bug if it's changing letters and vowel pointing. Is it happening when you're exporting as unicode, Yehudit, or either one? 

• Like 2

On 8/29/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mark Allison said:

That's a pretty serious bug if it's changing letters and vowel pointing. Is it happening when you're exporting as unicode, Yehudit, or either one? 

I'm pretty sure the issue was on my end. In the future I will remember to change my design settings to allow for Middle Eastern and Asian script.

• Like 1

Copy/Pasted from iPadOS Accordance. How is this bug being triggered? I’d like to replicate it, please.

תּוֹרָה

• Like 1

I am glad this was pointed out. (no pun intended) I am in my second year of Hebrew and when I saw it I thought, "Hmm. That is different. Must be some kind of infinitive absolute of the verb upon which Torah is based." Now I see it is closer to an absolute messup. 🙂

• Like 2

I did more digging, and it's restricted to copy/pasting to User Notes, not to third-party word processors. Even then it's only happening on a couple of words for me. 

In this instance, the issue was an incorrect setting with the third-party app.

3 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

I am glad this was pointed out. (no pun intended) I am in my second year of Hebrew and when I saw it I thought, "Hmm. That is different. Must be some kind of infinitive absolute of the verb upon which Torah is based." Now I see it is closer to an absolute messup. 🙂

If anyone from my Hebrew class got the newsletter, I'm sure they're having a good laugh today. Hope they don't count points off to me. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Sean Nelson said:

I'm pretty sure the issue was on my end. In the future I will remember to change my design settings to allow for Middle Eastern and East Asian script.

Yeah, I pasted "torah" into an InDesign document with a Times New Roman unicode font and it gave me the same thing you encountered. Very strange. 

I noticed the website looks better now, but also not nearly as entertaining. :)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Mike Atnip said:

I am glad this was pointed out

A+ pun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sean Nelson said:

Yeah, I pasted "torah" into an InDesign document with a Times New Roman unicode font and it gave me the same thing you encountered. Very strange. 

Might be an issue with ID unless you enable a certain language feature. It also did the same thing when we copy/pasted torah from Wikipedia.

1 hour ago, Abram K-J said:

A+ pun!

Indeed!

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

I noticed the website looks better now, but also not nearly as entertaining. :)

At least everyone got a good laugh from this sale!

• Like 1