Suggested Improvements For Copying Citations Into User Notes

Louis Lapides

I enjoy using the User Notes tool when I am in a text be it English, Greek or Hebrew. But a few areas might need to be tweaked to improve  the user experience.

1. It would be helpful to eliminate some of the steps when it comes to copying and pasting.  I wish there was a setting that said, "Match format/style of destination document." My wording is probably inaccurate. But I think the developers would know what I am talking about.

When I copy a quote from a tool into a User Note, assuming I haven't updated the Note yet, I choose "Copy As a Citation." However,  the font from the citation doesn't match the font in the User Note. Then I go to Edit and select the option to "Paste and Match Styler" in the Note. That is why I suggested an option in Preferences/Settings where the User can establish he or she always wants the citation to match the font in the Ussr Note. 

2. Another improvement is that when you are in User Notes and go to a Tool or a Text to grab a citation, User Notes returns to the "un-updated" view and disappears. Then when I wan to paste in the citation I grabbed from another resource, I have to reopen the User Note. At time I get lost in reading another module and forget I have a few comments I made in a User Note and failed to Update the Note. Unfortunately, I have often lost those un-updated comments. I think a user should be able to go to the resource he or she wants, while leaving the User Note open, click into the additional resource, copy the citation they are looking for, paste in the citation, and then update the note with the new citation added. I hope I'm making sense. It becomes cumbersome when the Note closes just because the user goes to a text or a tool to grab a citation. 

Other than that, User Notes is a great tool that I use constantly. I'd like this tool to be streamlined in certain areas. 

Edited by Louis Lapides

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll file these as a feature request. I’ll also see if anyone chimes in with any workarounds on it.

Copy the text from the resource and in the User note section press Shift+Option+Command+V keys. This is the shortcut for Edit — Paste and Match Style. In settings you may modify the keys assigning for example Control+V. See the attached image. 

My User note window remains open even if I navigate on other tabs (see the second image). Is something different on your screen? May you reproduce the steps to see if I can do the same on my computer?

CleanShot 2023-05-26 at 23.29.51@2x.png

CleanShot 2023-05-26 at 23.41.35@2x Medium.jpeg

@Paul BucurGreat fix on copying citations.  I’ll try it. However, with the User Note opened, once I click in another module such as a commentary,  the User Note closes, and I’m no longer in the Edit interface in the Note. I have to hit Return or Spacebar to return to the Edit mode in Ussr Notes.

I think that you have your commentary as a parallel texts to your text sources. My resources are in a different Zone and not as a parallel. I believe that is my problem. I’ll try this solution when I’m in front of my laptop. It would still be helpful if Accordance would allow the user to copy text from a different Zone and not cause the User Note window to close. But I can see from the developers point of view why this happens, but it should be fixable.

Great insights Paul. 

I could not reproduce anything that would result in closing of the Note Edit Window. Please minimise the Accordance window or send it to taskbar to see if the Note Edit window is on the desktop. I believe the Note Edit Window is hidden behind the Accordance window, but is open. If this is the case what you need to do is to adjust the windows size of Accordance in order to have access with one click to the Note Edit Window.