Is there a way to view BHS with line splits at Athnach?

RyanQuey

Normally I like to look at the BHS split into lines by verses, but I would like it even more if the verse could also be split automatically at the athnach (for verses which have it), since that often marks the logical division of the verse.

Otherwise, the line just gets split wherever there are too many words for the size of my window, which is less ideal. E.g., this is how it currently looks for Isa 65:8-10. 65:8-9 are too long, so the words get split when I run out of screen space, and 65:10 isn't split at all. 

image.thumb.png.f5593c8ccb44f39e6b25b78cd175fc0c.png

My preference would be to have an option to split at e.g., for 65:8, after the בּוֹ. Is there currently a way to do this?

• Like 1

The only way to do that is to split the verses manually (if you have Accordance 14). image.png.b0591b7abed00283d14833866aaba124.png

• Like 1

you can do a search for atnah, but you then have to manually phase break each one - tedious

• Like 1

I think if someone created the phrase break file, they could potentially share it with other users?

Maybe just highlight and then build up the line breaks manually overtime?

It could be done as part of using a yearly reading plan.

Then share once done as suggested by Nathan -

In the poetic books the line breaks would need to be on oleh yored (if present otherwise atnah).

It would be line breaks on atnah only for the other books.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary Raynor said:

Maybe just highlight and then build up the line breaks manually overtime?

What would this look like exactly? I am still playing around and getting used to the custom phrasing just now, but not sure how highlighting could be used to make this more efficient.

9 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I think if someone created the phrase break file, they could potentially share it with other users?

This is a neat idea - I didn't think of the user file associated with the custom phrasing. I was thinking there might be a way to generate the custom phrasing file programmatically, using a python or bash script or something, but looking at the `default.phrase` file I'm not sure how I would be able to do that. It looks like it's just a JSON file (e.g., what I have so far):

image.png.255b3486db7060e6250e0542b244754b.png

If someone has tips on how to get json or csv data for where atnachs are for each verse of the bible (or oleh yored when present as @Gary Raynor mentioned above) I might be able to give it a try. 

Edited by RyanQuey
clarify the screenshot

To Search for OlehYored you need to use a construct search:

image.png.cf2336da7dc4309c50509c9daa9137fa.png

Then make a new highlight file called say Accents and highlight all hits.

image.png.228e068d6df9eaf0fcd15ed5cb89c89c.png

To find atnah you can use the search bar and enter period (full stop) followed by atnah (using the character window helps)

image.png.040f2b3edde99985aa76ab75889c2de3.png

Whoever has free time can now enter the linebreaks!

image.png.cb29d5d9b390af7474a8454d2c948f99.png

use yellow if both yellow and red are in the same verse!

In many manuscripts, printed editions, and at least one digital edition, in the 3 sifrei emet, vertical and/or horizontal whitespace is used (in some way or another) at phrase breaks, somewhat like you are suggesting. For example, take a look at Psalm 21 as rendered in the Hebrew Wikisource edition of MAM. Here's an image of verse 10:

image.png.fdcad27e710a8424aac2747f87db07f3.png

You can see that, in this case:

• The "second half" of the verse (i.e., the post-oleh-veyored part of the verse) is given its own (two) lines, both at indent level 1.
  • The "second half of the second half" (i.e., the post-etnaḥta part of the verse) is given its own line, at the same indent level as the "first half of the second half."

Here's a different use of whitespace in this verse, from the Jerusalem Crown edition of the Tanakh (also shows previous verse):

sZGpbbIU0erRsFrPP7SFJUQHv5l2-1v1LbFo4m3S-E-k0TnboXFKFFdnxsOhVZDXenxe2WU0DzJDKgbgLO_aGkwmmugiQ7WxFO4gsCrs3mC3BvxujmUNBbgY__i9f4b73gVVZzOljCwHAdLukzcqNDFx99jF2KoWJDZGliNemurUXrNE2pTN5dxhhQitIWuUxV3Cf4fyO487W5Cn260TVSMGbc8yKMQcbgG-IDft9s8JaCLUT2PhznaZ4p1o_sDFKaaY1AU_9Fr2n6yAQLvgc5DCGbkbMvmwQKbzTfWRXWDpQxnOzFGHEffUW-5XtuhgKgn4XxlrnZ71c_GnMqT66HwqLtgp3L4BnnQQAf3QteI9oBAZz0zbADvQvh-N8UG9HPs8r-xzwybHTpCelqyngbuFPXC818z85zrn9B_yTgJXnfCddLpVOXyW2eSnVjDMlR1vIjkut-zSlLP85TVWZIqcNPTap-EjAmlTGJp7mGP86uFZ7JwSx4sIfphJLYDfiKHm6VFOIHJxlVRp_P_XKH5ai9cRqw6woarziLVuqLVwvDTg5oWglaqu4Bp-o42sudHSFZt2fPW6WoPES3vIP0Y4_bICeys-kj2gRCDr2odit_-ydTf-rpdKmN8bFOBGyCs3zM5CRLZlZMM_Q_BmU_Sflo4S1Qeln-uqyWjwyJOx0WAAh962U8phyrhsaz9H3Wc3YUuYNYfZnB4kKrxfq2_uIWfeffMLaJSjbnLVMmzCdui8Avi0Byw9jKFNP2_6yjkHn2M7D5KUH9UiNU8NZwzxKggLDN1eBTXnQEyIbzYK5s3D342XjIn3UyzpPwr_zIwCWhHP1aqm5DQoJBzxhM3jgeVpgFIpH-cJpXu6bIhjKbAne2lMJ07qmy9LokqjgN2AzxDNdseloZ8lSOGSAHqpV-cQu_APSQ5BWdnFDde_iTS392xAPMKAUbNzrxgLvO0f4PRoBbZQm-DIVg=w2850-h430-s-no?authuser=0

The layout of Psalms in Jerusalem Crown edition is somewhat similar to the layout in the Aleppo Codex. Unfortunately, Psalm 21 is one of the missing parts of the AC, but here's a different example (end of 28:6 and all of 28:5):

image.thumb.png.b78d854bfbe83daa9fe9aa3b8765ba70.png

Compare with MAM's 3-part division of 28:5, using cascading indents:

image.png.2c8473b037865b702f4e34ee5bef9170.png

Although the AC, too, has a 3-part division, note that the first of those 3 divisions is not at quite the same place as MAM's. I speculate that the AC's scribe would have liked to divide the verse where MAM did (at the deḥi disjunction), but this was not feasible, due to space constraints combined with the requirement that divisions must appear at the more important disjunctions of etnaḥta and siluq. As an aside, note the presence, in the manuscript of the "lost accent" galgal. It is/was "lost" in the sense that many, many printed and digital editions, and even references on cantillation, fail to distinguish galgal from atnaḥ hafukh.) Indeed we have not yet made the Hebrew Wikisource edition of MAM observe this distinction, but the "MAM-with-doc" edition does, e.g.:

image.png.d9436de5396157517c224aa5b9c5ae3f.png

Well, my reply has wandered pretty far afield from the original topic. To come back to the original topic:

If you want a digital edition that uses whitespace at phrase breaks, for the narrow case of the sifrei emet, I can recommend the Hebrew Wikisource edition of MAM. For printed editions, I can recommend various, including the Jerusalem Crown. As far as inside Accordance, I'd say, bug Accordance to take me up on my offer to help them create an Accordance edition of MAM!

As for the non-poetic books, i.e., the 21 books, I could perhaps be convinced to create a version of UXLC and/or MAM that observes etnaḥta divisions with line breaks, if it seems like some "critical mass" of people would like that.

Edited by Benjamin Denckla

I wish to thank you @RyanQuey because your request had prompted me to start manually adjusting the line breaks in my reading plan.

It makes the text very easy to compare with my English version which I also line break to align with Hebrew.

The Atnah is a level 2 separation accent if there are too many words then I also break the line at a level 3 separation accent.

Before:

image.thumb.png.e4fab5f5f50574a454b920accac945ce.png 

After 😊 kudos to you!:

image.thumb.png.fccb1689de09126d30ac483a421669b7.png 

• Like 1

@Gary Raynor cool thanks for the guidance. I'll take a look, I wonder if there's a way to take the user highlight file generated by that process and create a `default.phrase` file from it.

13 hours ago, Benjamin Denckla said:

I'd say, bug Accordance to take me up on my offer to help them create an Accordance edition of MAM!

I would definitely be interested to have a Hebrew text with better line breaks inside Accordance, thanks for sharing!

I think you can share the actual custom phrasing files you create in Accordance with other users, so we could post something like this on the Exchange. @Gary Raynor, if you want to email me a sample custom phrasing document you’ve worked on, I can try loading it in my systems and see what happens.

@Nathan Parker Done - a few chapters in HMT-W4 and Legacy Standard Bible plus a Disjunctive Accent Hierarchy Highlight file.

image.thumb.png.052efee6de6346b951b3132a43e086ee.png

• Like 1

Nice! I’ll test this when I get a free moment.

4 hours ago, Benjamin Denckla said:

A neat way of viewing the phrase structure of verses of the Hebrew Bible is provided by OSHB Verse (openscriptures.org).

You hit the nail precisely on the head!

Loading your Phrasing sub folders into my Phrasing folder did allow me to view your Phrasing customizations in my copy of Accordance. Note that they will replace any Custom Phrasing already done in that particular module (you can swap them back and forth to view the different ones by simply moving out the old ones before you move in the new ones). It is at least a way to share Custom Phrasing with other Accordance users.