Accordance 13 cannot launch at all ...

Tony Young

Hi,

I recently upgraded from Accordance 12 to 13 on my Windows 10 machine, but Accordance cannot launch anymore.  Only a window with a title "Setup Assistance" hangs for a while and then disappears.  I uninstall an reinstall several times but nothing helps.  Does anybody have the same issue and have a solution for it?  Thanks for any feedback.

Tony

• Sad 1

I would reach out to Technical Support on this one. They can definitely assist with this issue.

I did contact the tech support, who thinks the problem is my machine.  I agree with his assessment.  However, I am quite disappointed.  I have been installing many other software products on this machine but never had such a problem.  So, more precisely speaking, the problem is from both my machine and the Accordance installer.  I cannot go back to version 12 either since Accordance discontinues the support.  This is a huge software regression.  Customers are forced to upgrade, but the upgrading process fails.  My only option is to reformat my machine and reset Window 10, which require lots of efforts and are quite risky.  The reason I raised the problem here is to see if anyone else had the same problem and if he/she had a simpler way to solve this problem.

Hi @Tony Young,

I am really sorry to hear this, and I agree this is concerning. The only idea I really have what to do is to keep using v.12. When you downloaded v.13, did you write over v.12, or do you still have it? If you wrote over it, tech support should be able to help you redownload it. When I first got Accordance I had been informed that once I purchased a version, I would have it forever. So since you own v.12, it should still function and be able to be downloaded onto your computer.

Concerning reformating your computer, I agree that sounds risky, and I personally wouldn't want to do that. In part since it is risky, and also in part since I am not convinced it would even work. If something that drastic would be needed, it seems like other programs wouldn't work also.

I am sorry I can't be more helpful,

Kristin

Problem is v12 no longer connects to our servers, so he won’t be able to install any new modules or module updates.

I’m hesitant to recommend anything that could further break your machine, but do you think that “lightly” using a registry cleaner such as CCleaner just to remove any Accordance keys from the registry might be worth a try? If it messes anything up further, then you’d have to reset Windows anyway.

• Sad 1

Thanks to Kristin and Nathan for your reply.  Yes, Accordance discontinues the support for version 12.  My current situation is that I can walk neither forward nor backward.  That is what I meant by the serious regression from the software industry's point of view.

In terms of registry, I have followed the suggestions from the tech support guy and cleaned up everything, include the 4 folders and the Accordance item in registry.  One of his final suggestions is to reset Windows 10, which looks most promising but is also a nuclear solution.  I do not blame him because his job is not to deal with this special case.  To me, Accordance is also a special case because I have no problem to install any other software on this machine.  To be honest, I never heard that someone had to reset his/her machine to install some software.

Tony

Edited by Tony Young
  • Like 1

Microsoft offers a free upgrade to Windows 11.

Like the other person said, try to find a restore point and go back several dates.

I think the two points coming to mind are as follows:

1) ALWAYS do a complete TimeMachine quality backup before updating anything (Accordance or otherwise).

2) As an ex-BibleWorks user, the whole concept of being locked out of something you purchased (i.e. Accordance 12) is concerning, since it is not in line with what I had been told when I started with Accordance.

Thanks for everyone's reply.  Version 12 was completely wiped out on my machine when the tech support guy worked with me to install version 13.   There is no way to roll back to a previous point now.  NO RETREAT but charge forward 🙂  I have been stuck for two Sundays.  Next week I will definitely reset my Windows, after trying CCleaner as recommended by Nathan.

Reading this thread is painful.

One of his final suggestions is to reset Windows 10, which looks most promising but is also a nuclear solution.

As several others have suggested find the restore point just prior to Accord 13 upgrade attempt. This doesn't require getting anything from Accordance support. It appears that there are several methods of system backup for Windows which are equivalent to MAC OS Time-machine or CarbonCopyCloner. I prefer the Cloner approach but both methods allow you to restore to a STATE prior to any upgrade ASSUMING you CAPTURED that STATE.

Again, capturing a STATE and restoring to that STATE doesn't involve any help from Accordance tech support whatsoever. It isn't application specific. It only requires that you never install without capturing the current STATE. TimeMachne (windows equivalent) does this for you automatically. Cloning requires intervention. Most people like it to be automatic.    

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew

Hi @Tony Young,
I never personally used it on Windows, so I might be wrong, but I had always thought CCleaner was Malware itself. I just searched it to see and the internet seems to be divided, with some sites claiming it is legitimate, and others saying it is not. So I just wanted to mention it might be wise to look into this before you do anything with it.

Kristin

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Tony Young,
I never personally used it on Windows, so I might be wrong, but I had always thought CCleaner was Malware itself. I just searched it to see and the internet seems to be divided, with some sites claiming it is legitimate, and others saying it is not. So I just wanted to mention it might be wise to look into this before you do anything with it.

Kristin

Most of these are useless for solving the problem you are working on.

Edited by c. stirling bartholomew
  • Like 1

CCleaner is highly destructive and dangerous to use. It obliterates required files for system and applications. It will even take out all restore points if you don't know what you are doing.

Edited by cim
  • Like 1

If you have a restore point of 12, it’s worth a try to see if you can revert back to it, even though you won’t be able to install new modules until you’re on 13.

In terms of CCleaner, I’ve personally had success with it in very limited, targeted instances when some apps installed some bad registry keys on one of my machines. I was able to install it, uncheck everything and tell it just to delete the bad registry keys. I had to treat the app like a surgeon with a scalpel. Make the cuts I needed to repair the issue without damaging something in the process. If you run it and ask it to delete/cleanup everything, you’ll definitely wreck havoc on a machine. Then again, if you’re on the brink of resetting Windows anyway, then it’s a last-ditch effort I would personally try while exercising extreme caution with it (if you’re hesitant to try it though, I completely understand). I don’t know if it would resolve your issue in this instance, but if you’ve already purged all your other Accordance files, it’s the last place on your machine you could look for anything else related to your Accordance install.

In terms of us phasing out support for Accordance 12, every Bible software developer eventually phases out support for older versions of their Bible apps as technology changes. However, your module purchases history will still be accessible in newer versions of Accordance. We’re giving away Accordance 13 free of charge to everyone this month (those on older versions of Accordance and even those who don’t have Accordance), plus your modules are also accessible in our mobile apps and coming up, in a web browser using Cloud.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input.  I did not consider too much "Windows Restore Points" because it is just a temporary solution.  Version 12 has been discontinued and no new modules can be added anymore.

Keep us posted on how things go.

• 2 weeks later...

After resetting my Windows (including removing all the existing files), the problem persists.  The tech support is knowledgeable but cannot fix it.  I probably need to buy a new computer to replace the old one, a 3-year-old machine.  Very sad.

• Sad 1

I found that Accordance 14 will no longer run in my user account (which does not have administrator privileges). I am able to run ver 14 from my administrative account, but I had to use easy install to download all of resources into the administrative user area that were once in the user area. Once I had Accordance set up, I could access Accordance from my old lower privilege area by running Accordance as Administrator—just adds the step of the administrator account login.

If you were running Accordance in a non-administrative account, try running it from the administrative account.

—Joseph

• Like 1

@Solly Thanks for the info on that. If the problem persists, let Tech Support know or file a bug report in “Bug Swatters-Windows” so we can take a look at that.

@Tony Young That's unfortunate. You could try what @john_2022 recommends and do a complete clean install of Windows. If not, you might be stuck needing a new machine. I’m having good luck with an HP running Windows 11.

I know that the tech support guy had done his best.  We both appreciate each other's patience.

The issue is that Accordance cannot connect to Accordance's server.  Somehow my machine blocks the connection, even after we disable firewall, and remove McAfee.  Running from the administrative account or from a safe mode do not cause any difference.

I am not sure what John meant by "a clean install of windows".  What I tried lastly is to reset Windows and choose the option of "remove all the personal files".  The machine is back to its original factory state, like a new machine from the software point of view.  After then the first thing I try is to install Accordance, which is smooth.  Then, running Accordance hangs.

Hi @Tony Young,

I am really sorry you are still having this issue, though I am grateful to hear you feel the tech guy did all he could. That is important. I think what they mean by a "clean install" is going beyond a "reset" and actually re-downloading Windows on to the computer. I might be wrong, but I think that is what  it means.

Kristin

I believe that’s what he means as well. There’s something going on with Windows that’s blocking your connection to Accordance’s server. Do you have our mobile app? I’m curious if it’s connecting to our servers. There might be a way to isolate what’s going on.

By the way, when you talked with a tech support person, have you spoken with Accordance Tech Support or one of your own technicians? If you haven’t spoken with ours yet, make sure you do.

Also, try Accordance 14.0.5 if you haven’t already.

I’m also showing this to a programmer. It sounds like a login fail issue that we can resolve without you needing to buy a new PC or clean install Windows again.

@Tony Young 

What installer have you tried with? 

If you haven't already, try it with one of these slightly older ones: 

https://d366ra67x2bs56.cloudfront.net/windows/Accordance13.3.3.exe

https://d366ra67x2bs56.cloudfront.net/windows/Accordance13.3.2.exe

Is there any chance the place you're connecting from would block domains with "bible" in them?

Is there any chance the place you're connecting from would block a server-side redirect?

Thanks to everybody for your support.  I really appreciate it.  What I did was Start -> Setting -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC -> Remove everything -> Local reinstall (Remove apps and files.  Do not clean the drive).  I can try one more time to download Windows instead of local reinstall.