Web Browsers

Dr. Nathan Parker

This can be both a Windows and Mac question.

I’m just curious as to which web browsers (and which one do you use the most) Accordance users are using. At the moment, I’m using Safari on Mac, Microsoft Edge on Windows. They’re working fine as it is, but I’m always open for looking at other browser options.

I use chrome on my Windows.

Safari on both Mac and iPad

• Like 1

I use Safari on macOS and iOS, Firefox on Linux, and Chrome or Edge on Windows.

Safari. I generally loath all things google and can't understand the allure. Particularly for Mac users. Occasionally Firefox. 

• Like 2

Microsoft Internet Explorer FOREVER!

(I kid, I kid).

• Haha 4

I use Safari unless I need to use Zotero, then Firefox.

I use Firefox, and block all Google related cookies to hopefully prevent Google from tracking me. Then if I need to open a Google account I do so in Chrome, but I don't use Chrome for anything else.

I actually don't like Safari since their privacy preferences are not as customizable, or as good, as Firefox. It takes more of a "trust us, we'll block the correct cookies" approach, which I don't find acceptable. (I know there was another thread about this being the concern with the Accordance web-browser too, after we learned the web browser had privacy "like Safari").

Concerning Brave, I actually don't use it for a few reasons. First, I noticed on some web pages it was inserting some kind of Brave icon, and I found it creepy. The other issue that there have been recent reports that Brave is not as private as people first thought, so after that I decided to forget it and just use Firefox.

Safari and Firefox (Firefox for the same reasons that others have voiced)

Mostly Firefox. But for some reason my Windows 10 Firefox does not play well with this Accordance Forums site, so I use Edge for accessing it. I have had enough other small issues with Firefox in the last few months that I have considered going with Edge and Chrome. But I have been using Firefox for over a decade now and I have sentimental issues with departing from it. I have lately suspected a conspiracy from Microsoft to make Firefox incompatible with Windows, but that is a conspiracy theory at the moment!

Firefox for me. Customizable and mostly reliable.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

For those using Brave, has syncing ever improved? I used Brave a while back, but I could never get syncing to work. I was also interested in “Brave Talk”, but I never could get it to work on the iPad.

@R. Mansfield I should probably switch to IE. 🙂 

38 minutes ago, Nathan Parker said:

For those using Brave, has syncing ever improved?

Sorry, I don't use sync, so I can't comment.

I use Brave. I'm also trying out Pale Moon, which forked/diverged from Firefox a few years ago. I think it's the closest thing to a truly independent browser.

I don't do syncing in Accordance. I tried it a long time ago, but it wasn't clear if it was working correctly.

@Daniel L I was referring to Brave syncing. I couldn’t get it to work last time I tried it.