getting rid of HALOT subscript in verses

Kristin

Sometimes I copy something from HALOT, and I always have issues since they write verses in subscript. Thus, there entry of Gen 112 copies as "Gen 112" and it is not obvious out of context if it means Gen 11:2 or Gen 1:12.

I don't think so, but I was wondering if there is a way in the settings for HALOT to use a colon instead of subscript?

Thanks,

Kristin

• Like 1

Yes. +1. I don't use it as much as Kristin probably does, but it can be a slight annoyance.

• Like 1

I’ll ask our teams about it. Could be a limitation in our copy of HALOT, but I’ll find out for sure.

23 hours ago, Kristin said:

Sometimes I copy something from HALOT, and I always have issues since they write verses in subscript. Thus, there entry of Gen 112 copies as "Gen 112" and it is not obvious out of context if it means Gen 11:2 or Gen 1:12.

I don't think so, but I was wondering if there is a way in the settings for HALOT to use a colon instead of subscript?

Thanks,

Kristin

Does your editor not support subscript? 

When I cut and past from HALOT into Word the subscript is maintained. And if you drop the subscript, you are dropping the verse number. 

Here is what the pasted text from HALOT look like for me:

image.thumb.png.c72245d72d4a903f63c34a89f9fbb8ac.png

And on a Mac the subscript is retained with copy and paste in every word processor I have:

Word
Pages
Mellel
Nisus Writer Pro
Nota Bene

Also in Scrivener

(Not in TextEdit, which I wouldn’t consider a word processor).

M1 Mac, Ventura 13.2.1

Hi @miketisdell and @Michel Gilbert

It can maintain formatting, but the issue is that I first need to put notes to "match formatting" so it is the same size as the rest of my document. The reason I need to do this is in part because I want to get rid of hyperlinks and color, but also, and primarily, because there is a MAJOR discrepancy from how the font size looks in Accordance, and the size of the font when it is copied.

If I just paste it, it maintains the subscripts, but it ALSO has hyperlinks and color (which I want to get rid of), and it is in a crazy large font.

If I paste matching formatting, it gets rid of hyperlinks and color (which is good), and is a normal font size (which is good), but it eats subscripts.

I can show a fake example to get an idea of what it looks like.

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-17um12_53_21.thumb.png.bc3dab63b215cca1bb142e181cf6811c.png

33 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @miketisdell and @Michel Gilbert

It can maintain formatting, but the issue is that I first need to put notes to "match formatting" so it is the same size as the rest of my document. The reason I need to do this is in part because I want to get rid of hyperlinks and color, but also, and primarily, because there is a MAJOR discrepancy from how the font size looks in Accordance, and the size of the font when it is copied.

If I just paste it, it maintains the subscripts, but it ALSO has hyperlinks and color (which I want to get rid of), and it is in a crazy large font.

If I paste matching formatting, it gets rid of hyperlinks and color (which is good), and is a normal font size (which is good), but it eats subscripts.

I can show a fake example to get an idea of what it looks like.

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-17um12_53_21.thumb.png.bc3dab63b215cca1bb142e181cf6811c.png

Try copy as a citation. That gets rid of the hyperlinks, color, and large font. 

This is the result of pasting into word when copied as a citation and "merge formatting" is chosen. 
image.thumb.png.c791d30755268db3f9fdfb1903236575.png

Edited by miketisdell
  • Thanks 1

Hi @miketisdell,

Thank you, that helps a lot! It still takes up a lot of space though, since the entry word itself is larger. Do you know why? Here is another sample of matching formatting vs your citation idea.

In the picture the two arrows are the same length. I know this might seem like a small thing, but when dealing with thousands of notes it is pretty important to not waste space.

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-17um13_51_32.thumb.png.39fb17de274487e7230982af0d330920.png

There is also a way to do what Mike said with your preferred fonts and sizes. We discussed much of this years ago, for example at https://forums.accordancebible.com/topic/20569-font-size-preferences-on-export/?do=findComment&comment=100046

Here is an example of copying and pasting, and matching destination formatting with my NORMAL template (Latin Times New Roman12 and Complex Scripts EzraSIL 12), which pasted as size 12, with all of the italics and subscripts intact. I didn’t try an entry with hyperlinks.

image.png.8dd9d8804c33de42d34f3644f8ff7db8.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristin said:

Hi @miketisdell,

Thank you, that helps a lot! It still takes up a lot of space though, since the entry word itself is larger. Do you know why? Here is another sample of matching formatting vs your citation idea.

In the picture the two arrows are the same length. I know this might seem like a small thing, but when dealing with thousands of notes it is pretty important to not waste space.

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-17um13_51_32.thumb.png.39fb17de274487e7230982af0d330920.png

If you are using Word, you can choose "merge formatting" when you paste and the size will be the same as the rest of the text. 

• Like 1

Hi @Michel Gilbert and @miketisdell,

Thank you both for your responses. I am actually on a Mac, and the note file I am using is Numbers (Mac's Excel). So I am thinking if there is a way for the font to export the same, it would have to be a setting in Accordance. Given that you are both looking at Word settings, however, it kind of makes me think that Accordance doesn't have such a setting. The copy as citation is still a major improvement though.

The superscripts in HALOT is a limitation with our digital copy and would require a massive undertaking to change. In the meantime, others who are posting suggestions on how to paste in with different formatting is going to be recommended options. I guess you could always change the overall font size after you paste as citation.

Kristen, you might be able to get what you're looking for by copying into Text Edit, then in "Format" click on "convert to text format". That will give you the raw text with no superscripts or hyperlinks. For that reason, however, you will have things like, e.g., Gen 4910 (i.e. Genre 49.10).

Hi @Donald Cobb,

Ya, I am currently doing something similar to that, where I click "match formatting" and it does successfully get rid of hyperlinks and giant font. The only problem is what you mentioned, that I get weird verses like "Gen 112." I do my best as soon as I copy it to insert the little colon so I know in the future if it is Gen 1:12 or Gen 11:2, but that can for sure get tiring, hence the post. Thankfully most resources bother to put the colon.

• Like 1