trying to select Hebrew words translated a certain way in ESV

Kristin

I want to find all the instances where the ESV translates אָכַל as "eat" and highlight the Hebrew.

I thus did the following:

1) Search [KEY H0398]

2) Open Analysis and click on "eat"

3) Select the Hebrew parallel and add it to a Reference list.

4) Open a new Hebrew tab searching =אָכַל contents Reference list

The idea is it would select all the אָכַל words and I could highlight them, but I get the following warning box.

Thus how do I accomplish this?

Thanks,

Kristin

Bildschirmfoto2023-04-10um09_15_27.png.e381b3aaa4477a5f55c298f186c36fea.png

Use the TEXT command instead. Then you can simply select "Highlight all Hits". 

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 12.49.07 PM.png

I think this is what you want:

eat@[KEY H0398] 

This will give you ever place where the word "eat" is used for a translation of אכל

You'll probably want to search for "ate" as well, so:

[HMT-W4 אָכַל] @(eat*, ate)

Hi @Mark Allison and @miketisdell,

Thank you both for your help, but I am still not quite there. If I do the steps you both listed above, it gets Accordance to select "eat" allowing me to highlight it, but I am trying to highlight the Hebrew occurrences, not the English. I think I am on the right track though.

The formula above seems to be starting with the ESV and linking it to the Hebrew, but I need to start with the Hebrew to get it to select the Hebrew. Is there a way to do that?

p.s. - @Mark Allison, you are correct that I need "ate" too. I really need all variations of "eat." In case it is helpful to know, I can explain what I am doing: I am not technically trying to highlight the words, but rather select certain words to erase the highlight. As we all know, he ESV calls אכל a host of creative things. The key has 801 hits, and the lex has 812 hits. If I do the contents thing to find the missing hits, I am only able to find 6, meaning there are somehow still missing words out there. :( So I highlighted them all (the Hebrew of course), thinking I could find the instances translated a certain way and deselect those, but I can't get Accordance to actually select the Hebrew, it just keeps selecting the English, which is not what is highlighted.

In case it is helpful, here is a pic of what I have so far.
Bildschirmfoto2023-04-10um10_06_00.thumb.png.4f89313dfe0d475ae0a9ce653c728fde.png

12 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Use the TEXT command instead. Then you can simply select "Highlight all Hits". 

Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 12.49.07 PM.png

One slight difference between using the [key] and the [text] options, in the case of the [text] option both noun and verb forms are included in places where the ESV translates with the word "eat" so with the [text] option you get:

Ex. 12:4 And if the household is too small for a lamb, then he and his nearest neighbor shall take according to the number of persons; according to what each can eat you shall make your count for the lamb.
Ex. 16:16 This is what the LORD has commanded: ‘Gather of it, each one of you, as much as he can eat. You shall each take an homer,2 according to the number of the persons that each of you has in his tent.’”
Ex. 16:18 But when they measured it with an omer, iwhoever gathered much had nothing left over, and whoever gathered little had no lack. Each of them gathered as much as he could eat.
Ex. 16:21 Morning by morning they gathered it, each as much as he could eat; but when the sun grew hot, it melted.

These are omitted when you use the [key] search as these are nouns that really mean "food"; the ESV has idiomized it. 

13 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @Mark Allison and @miketisdell,

Thank you both for your help, but I am still not quite there. If I do the steps you both listed above, it gets Accordance to select "eat" allowing me to highlight it, but I am trying to highlight the Hebrew occurrences, not the English. I think I am on the right track though.

The formula above seems to be starting with the ESV and linking it to the Hebrew, but I need to start with the Hebrew to get it to select the Hebrew. Is there a way to do that?

p.s. - @Mark Allison, you are correct that I need "ate" too. I really need all variations of "eat." In case it is helpful to know, I can explain what I am doing: I am not technically trying to highlight the words, but rather select certain words to erase the highlight. As we all know, he ESV calls אכל a host of creative things. The key has 801 hits, and the lex has 812 hits. If I do the contents thing to find the missing hits, I am only able to find 6, meaning there are somehow still missing words out there. :( So I highlighted them all (the Hebrew of course), thinking I could find the instances translated a certain way and deselect those, but I can't get Accordance to actually select the Hebrew, it just keeps selecting the English, which is not what is highlighted.

In case it is helpful, here is a pic of what I have so far.
Bildschirmfoto2023-04-10um10_06_00.thumb.png.4f89313dfe0d475ae0a9ce653c728fde.png

I think that if you want the Hebrew to highlight then you will need to search the Hebrew like this:

image.thumb.png.180762e351f149edf3dc32db560e2b5e.png

Note that there will be some difference from what you posed when you have constructions like that in Ge. 2:15 i.e אָכֹ֥ל תֹּאכֵֽל

In this cases you have a Hebrew infinitive followed by a conjugated form to indicate emphasis. In the ESV in this example, they have translated the entire phrase of "אָכֹ֥ל תֹּאכֵֽל" as "you may surely eat"; however, when the text is tagged, they included the word "surely" as the translation of the infinitive "to eat" so when you do this search, it will not find cases like this.  

• Like 1

Hi @miketisdell,

That finally worked! It took me a minute to figure out how to type it like your screenshot, but after I finally got it, it worked and is only highlighting those words!

I will be sure to save this as a workspace so I can plug in other words for other things too.

11 minutes ago, miketisdell said:

Note that there will be some difference from what you posed when you have constructions like that in Ge. 2:15 i.e אָכֹ֥ל תֹּאכֵֽל

In this cases you have a Hebrew infinitive followed by a conjugated form to indicate emphasis. In the ESV in this example, they have translated the entire phrase of "אָכֹ֥ל תֹּאכֵֽל" as "you may surely eat"; however, when the text is tagged, they included the word "surely" as the translation of the infinitive "to eat" so when you do this search, it will not find cases like this.  

Concerning this, I am grateful to hear this, as I truly want to know when the ESV calls it "eat" of some sort. When they call it "surely" (and I understand why) I would need that still highlighted since it is a word other than an "eat" variation.

Thank you again to both of you!

Kristin

22 minutes ago, Kristin said:

Hi @miketisdell,

That finally worked! It took me a minute to figure out how to type it like your screenshot, but after I finally got it, it worked and is only highlighting those words!

I will be sure to save this as a workspace so I can plug in other words for other things too.

Concerning this, I am grateful to hear this, as I truly want to know when the ESV calls it "eat" of some sort. When they call it "surely" (and I understand why) I would need that still highlighted since it is a word other than an "eat" variation.

Thank you again to both of you!

Kristin

In cases where you have an infinitive + a conjugated form, the translation of each word is very misleading; it is really a translation of the entire phrase and there is no word for word correspondence. In other words, the translators really did not translate אכל as "surely" but rather they translated the entire phrase "אכל תאכל" as "you may surely eat." One of the biggest myths is the idea that translation can be done "word for word"; in reality, good translation, even in very formal equivalent translations, require understanding the phrase and communicating the meaning of the phrase. In a formal equivalent translation this will often, but not always result in word correspondence. 

That being said, there are cases where the ESV does not translate אכל as "eat" but these would be better found like this:

image.thumb.png.1a85284ac0a007f76688783fe70993b2.png

This tab refers to the [contents] of the tab with the original search that had "eat*,ate" in it. This search excludes everything found in that first tab. In this case you will find a number of different options (and not all are related to "eating"). In this case, the ESV translation of Gen. 47:22 is interesting i.e. the phrase:

‏וְאָֽכְל֤וּ אֶת־חֻקָּם֙ אֲשֶׁ֨ר נָתַ֤ן לָהֶם֙ פַּרְעֹ֔ה

Is translated as:

"and lived on the allowance that Pharaoh gave them"

However, the CSB gives a much more formal translation of this phrase:

“They ate from their allowance that Pharaoh gave them;”
(Genesis 47:22 CSB17)

============================

Similarly, the phrase from Ex. 3:2 is: וְהִנֵּ֤ה הַסְּנֶה֙ בֹּעֵ֣ר בָּאֵ֔שׁ וְהַסְּנֶ֖ה אֵינֶ֥נּוּ אֻכָּֽל 

and behold, the bush was burning, yet it was not consumed[eaten]. (ESV)

In Hebrew, "fire" is frequently said to "eat" what it is burning. Also in this verse, the Hebrew actually says "burning with fire" but the ESV has shortened it. 

46 minutes ago, miketisdell said:

One of the biggest myths is the idea that translation can be done "word for word"; in reality, good translation, even in very formal equivalent translations, require understanding the phrase and communicating the meaning of the phrase. In a formal equivalent translation this will often, but not always result in word correspondence. 

Hi @miketisdell,

I just wanted to mention that I agree with this point. I have a lot of issues with published Bibles, but I don't fault them for not doing a literal "word for word" as I agree that isn't realistic for a host of reasons.

Kristin

I suggest that you try this - a bit simpler!

‏+אכל ‎<NOT>‏ ‎[ESVS (eat*,ate,food)]‏ 

image.thumb.png.5b0c56f4a4b3595104ada27e10914b53.png