Hidden Features

Dan12

13 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

can I search greek words in a english text...

One way to do that is to use the [Key] command and type in the transliteration of the Greek or Hebrew word you're looking for. Make sure the English text is tagged with either Strong's or G/K numbers.

Screenshot 2023-02-02 at 11.12.14 AM.png

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have you discovered the Word Study option?  Given some of the questions you are asking, I'm thinking that might be right up your alley!  I usually access it by right clicking (on windows) or control-click/two finger click (on Mac) and choosing Word Study from the contextual menu.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dan12 said:

can I search greek words in a english text...

That is what this is all about.

I corrected the shortcut from Crtl+T to Crtl+Shift+T.

You need to start with an English text like ESV with Strong's, then use the shortcut above, or click search > enter command > TEXT 

Then you select the Greek text or Hebrew text by which you want to find words in your English translation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Dan12,

If you use the abovementioned technique rather than manually typing the brackets or copying and pasting, it should not complain about the brackets.

If often complains about the brackets when manually typing TEXT tags.

• Like 2

@Dan12, you should also work through Accordance's excellent help files.

Take the time to work right through everything that is applicable to the resources you own, and you will never regret it.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Accordance Enthusiast said:

That is what this is all about.

I corrected the shortcut from Crtl+T to Crtl+Shift+T.

You need to start with an English text like ESV with Strong's, then use the shortcut above, or click search > enter command > TEXT 

Then you select the Greek text or Hebrew text by which you want to find words in your English translation.

image.png.27d3aee5386e5cb811e7ff11a11ff5fd.png

image.png.208e222f625d380fa56f2265dfc7be69.png

image.png.a54e16084fe45fc79807b2c11fed6470.png

it is not working 😕

• Like 1

Where the Text command dialog box says "Enter Text" you need to select "Enter Inflected form". Otherwise it will expect a lexical form. It will look like this if done correctly:

[GNT28-T "=ἀπεκρίθη"]

• Like 3

@Dan12, it may be because you aren't searching for the inflected form you entered. Try [GNT28-T "=ἀπεκρίθη"]. I get 76 hits in ESVS with that search string.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Where the Text command dialog box says "Enter Text" you need to select "Enter Inflected form". Otherwise it will expect a lexical form. It will look like this if done correctly:

[GNT28-T "=ἀπεκρίθη"]

1 hour ago, Steven S said:

@Dan12, it may be because you aren't searching for the inflected form you entered. Try [GNT28-T "=ἀπεκρίθη"]. I get 76 hits in ESVS with that search string.

Thank you very well!

Can I just copy the word from the greek text? or do I have to choose it from the "enter inflected form"?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

Can I just copy the word from the greek text? or do I have to choose it from the "enter inflected form"?

So here's the thing. Accordance expects the lexical form to be the form you enter into a search. The lexical form is the form you'll find in a dictionary/lexicon. So, for example, if you see the word "running" or "ran" in the text, those are not lexical forms. They're not the form of the word you'd find in a dictionary/lexicon. The lexical form of those words would be "run". Most of the time the form in the text is NOT the lexical form. 

Knowing that is 99% of the battle, because Accordance makes it easy to search for inflected forms as well, you just need to let Accordance know that it is in fact an inflected form.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

So here's the thing. Accordance expect the lexical form to be the form you enter into a search. The lexical form is the form you'll find in a dictionary/lexicon. So, for example, if you see the word "running" or "ran" in the text, those are not lexical forms. They're not the form of the word you'd find in a dictionary/lexicon. The lexical form of those words is the infinitive form: "to run", or just "run". Most of the time the form in the text is NOT the lexical form. 

Knowing that is half the battle, because Accordance makes it easy to search for inflected forms as well, you just need to let Accordance know that it is in fact an inflected form.

But it will only show me the exact word...so I cant search for e.g. walk and it will give me all the words..."walking" "walked"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan12 said:

But it will only show me the exact word...so I cant search for e.g. walk and it will give me all the words..."walking" "walked"

If you're in a Greek or Hebrew text, you can simply right-click on the word and select Search For—>Lexeme.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

If you're in a Greek or Hebrew text, you can simply right-click on the word and select Search For—>Lexeme.

Yes...but then I only get results in a greek bible...but I need the results in my english Bible so I can say highlight all results...thats in the end why I need a way to search for the greek lexeme word, but it should be displayed as result in the english text...and thats the point where I feel like there is no answer :(

thanks for the help anyway!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dan12 said:

Yes...but then I only get results in a greek bible...but I need the results in my english Bible so I can say highlight all results...thats in the end why I need a way to search for the greek lexeme word, but it should be displayed as result in the english text...and thats the point where I feel like there is no answer :(

thanks for the help anyway!

Maybe we're trying to be too complicated. I think all you need to do is right-click on an English word, select "Search For" and then "Key Number". That will find all the forms of the Greek word your'e looking for. Then you can right-click and select "Highlight All Hits."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Maybe we're trying to be too complicated. I think all you need to do is right-click on an English word, select "Search For" and then "Key Number". That will find all the forms of the Greek word your'e looking for. Then you can right-click and select "Highlight All Hits."

But the G Number wont give me all the results... not all the forms...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dan12 said:

But the G Number wont give me all the results... not all the forms...

It should. Can you give me an example of what you're talking about?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

It should. Can you give me an example of what you're talking about?

okay for example...if you want to search for life and lives...both have the same root but different G Numbers

E.g

Rom. 6:4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

G2222

Rom. 6:10 For the death he died he died to sin, once for all, but the life he lives he lives to God.
Rom. 6:13 Do not present your members to sin as instruments for unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and your members to God as instruments for righteousness.

G2198

• Like 1

They have two different key numbers because they are two different words.  One (G2222) is the noun ζωή, the other (G2198) is the verb ζάω.  They are related words, certainly, but they are distinct words. This would be true if searching the Greek text for the lexical form as well.  Searching for ζωή will not find uses of ζάω. 

In translation it can get a bit confusing:  The English word "life" in Romans 6:13 you quoted above is in the Greek actually the verb ζάω, not the noun.  A more literal translation would be "brought from dying to living."

If you want to search for both, you can search for [KEY G2222] <OR> [KEY G2198], and then highlight all hits.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2023 at 8:39 PM, Dan12 said:

I cant open this search windows... the3 command Ctrl+T isnt working :(

Shift+Command+T for me (Mac)

• Like 2