Search Returns Genesis 1

tswope

Very frequently (frustratingly so), I will open my ESV module, enter a reference, and the search will dump me to Genesis (no verse numbers highlighted, just the beginning of the module). The second time I search, it will return the proper result. Usually this happens when I need to find a passage in the middle of a project. But, whenever I try to reproduce it, I can't figure out when it's actually happening.

Is anyone else experiencing searches (i.e., "Jn 3:1") that dump you to the beginning of the module?

• Like 1

Hi @tswope,

I am not experiencing that specifically, but I do encounter a similar problem. Often if I type something, be it a word, key, or whatever, and hit enter, instead of bringing me to what I searched for it brings me to some other random word.

What I have found is causing it has something to do with where my pointer is at the time. I have discovered that if I type or paste my word or key, before I hit enter I need to actually move my cursor ABOVE the search bar, and not just away. This is because if it is moved slightly down or to the side, when I press enter it will sometimes pull up something in the dropdown that auto-populated, while if I move it up it does not cause issues.

This is sometimes a problem, and sometimes not, so I have just gotten into the habit of always moving my cursor up since it seems like luck when it is an issue or not.

So maybe what you are experiencing is something different, but I think it is related. Before you press enter move your cursor up and see if that helps.

Kristin

• Like 2

@Kristin, that does seem related. I will start trying that and see what happens.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bring this issue up again. It seems like more times than not, whenever I enter a new passage in the search bar and hit enter, the first result is Genesis 1:1; then, the second time I hit enter, it takes me to my passage.

This is currently the most persistent and frustrating bug in my daily workflow.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

I'm on a 2022 Macbook Air M2 running Ventura 13.3 with Accordance 14.0.4.

I’ll monitor this thread. If I can confirm that it’s a reproducible bug, I’ll report it. In the meantime, you could also email Tech Support and see if they have a solution for you.

I get this all the time too. It's the first search performed in any given workspace tab, when the most-recent search done was in another tab.

Accordance 14.0.4, MacBook Air Intel & Mac mini M1, up-to-date macOS Ventura.

(I've heard that moving the "verse x of y" slider from right to left will make the search land properly, but I find that gets reset and doesn't help.)

My steps to reproduce:

- on a workspace with multiple tabs and multiple panes*

- navigate to a different tab

- search for a particular verse (e.g. Amos 4.1, or Luke 3.2)

- search result is the first verse in the available text (usually Genesis, or Matthew)

- all subsequent searches will go directly to the searched-for verse. So pressing enter again will go to, e.g. Amos 4.1. But searching another verse will go directly there too.

- now navigate to a different tab

- search again, and the go-to-the-first-available-verse behaviour happens again.

- navigate back to the tab you had problems with the first time, and the behaviour repeats.

* In case it makes a difference, my workspace has this setup:

Tab 1: HMT-W4; LXX/NA-28; NETS; CSB

Tab 2: HMT-W4; LXX; NETS; CSB

Tab 3: NA28; NA28 Apparatus; CSB

Tab 4: NA28; CSB; Custom Bible 1; Custom Bible 2; Custom Bible 3

Tab 5: HALOT

Tab 6: BDAG

• Like 1

I’ll test this when I get a free moment and followup.

• Like 1

@Sam Freney Can you post the workspace file to this workspace?

• Like 1

So I looked again today, and I see this behaviour described above on my M1 Mac mini, but not on my Intel laptop. Both have same software setup. There is a way to get it to do the same default-to-the-first-verse on the laptop, but I couldn't work out how to trigger it - I'll keep my eyes peeled for it next time I'm working on it.

But, here's my workspace file anyway.

Cheers.

Workspace.accord

• Like 1

@Sam Freney, I think your observation about the Apple silicon processor might be substantial. I changed computers from an Intel-based processor to the M2 not too long after 14.0.4 came out. The behavior may be related to Apple silicon processors. 

If others who find have this issue could indicate which processor they're using, we could help isolate the issue some more. 

Meanwhile, I reached out to technical support, and they've provided me with some basics to try. I'll post here if it fixes the issue!

Just tested your workspace. I can’t duplicate this on an Intel iMac Pro. I don’t have an Apple Silicon Mac yet. Let’s see if other users with Apple Silicon Macs can chime in and test this.

I am NOT seeing this behavior using the workspace above. (Apple M2 Max & Accordance 14.0.5b3)

Good to know. Thanks! We’ll see if 14.0.5 corrects it for everyone once released.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am still getting this go-back-to-Genesis behaviour on my M1 Mac mini with 14.0.5.

• Like 1

Thanks! I’ll re-report this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Same. No change with 14.0.5 on my M2.

Thanks for the update!

• 1 month later...

This bug still exists in 14.0.6, M1 Mac mini (up-to-date MacOS).

Thanks! I'll report it again. By the way, are you a beta tester?

No I'm not. Just a frequent user! (And former software developer, so I get it.)

Thanks! If you want to join our beta testing program, let me know. You provide helpful feedback.

I am getting this return to Genesis bug when doing the following:

1.  Searched for 'plucketh' in KJV

2.  After getting result (Prov. 14.1), Moved context slider to All

3.  Chose NIV11 via Text drop down at top of pane

4.  When the NIV11 came up it was at Genesis 1

5.  When I then chose KJV again it followed and went to Gen 1 also.

Thank you

Thanks! I'll add this info to the bug report.

• 1 month later...

Not exactly the same but very close to what @circuitrider was saying above—I've noticed this issue happens to me if I've expanded the context slider to "all" and then search for something new it will bump me back to Genesis. 

Process

• Search Jeremiah. Context slider at 0
  • Display window shows Jeremiah. 
  • Broaden context slider to "A." 
  • Display window does not change. 
  • Type in "Psalms"
  • Hit enter. 
  • Brings me back to Genesis. 
  • Move context slider to 0 and it brings me back to Psalms. 

Thanks! 

@Marshall A. Fant What Accordance and OS version? I can try testing this.