I Have Dumped Accordance 14

pder3571

Last night, I spent a considerable amount of time uninstalling Accordance 14 and then reinstalling Accordance 13.4.2, along with all the modules (151) I have purchased from Accordance. What. A. Pain! Why the uninstall and reinstall? Way too many bugs and nonsense to have to deal with for a product that has as history of excellence, and Accordance 13 is pretty much that: excellent. Accordance 14, on the other hand, not so much.

Nevertheless, I will be watching what transpires in the next couple of weeks to see if any major improvements are made by perusing the comments posted here. Judging by what I read will determine whether I will continue to wait OR whether I will ask for a refund on Accordance 14, and then move on. The latter would really bother me, at least for a while, considering I have been a loyal customer since Accordance 8 and have spent a few thousand dollars investing in what I thought was the best Bible software program around. Now, though, with the changing of the guard at Accordance, so to speak, I am not as optimistic about even it. I hope I am dead, flat wrong. Time will tell.

• Like 4

Accordance 14 is extremely frustrating.

I really hope for major improvements in about 100 + places (bugs)

I am about to quit syntax searching as it keeps producing one bug after the other.

• Like 1

Although, Accordance doesn't have as many books as Logos, but I have used it because of its speed and accuracy. But if it's having errors with syntax search, it needs to be fixed ASAP! 

• Like 3

That's too bad. There are bugs. No question. And more than should be permitted in a final release. But I use it every day professionally in bible translation and research, and it is perfectly serviceable. So much so that I removed v13 entirely. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

That's too bad. There are bugs. No question. And more than should be permitted in a final release. But I use it every day professionally in bible translation and research, and it is perfectly serviceable. So much so that I removed v13 entirely. 

Same for me. I know others have had bad experiences with bugs - but I have used Accordance 14 since its release and have had a relatively good experience and have not used v 13 since then.

• Like 6

I expect that V 14 is going to get to be one of the best versions, despite its rocky roll out. They know that they need to get this version fixed and fixed really good in order to keep from loosing customers. Personally, V 14 has worked pretty good for me on several computers and I am willing to wait for the rest of the bug fixes. I really like Accordance better than the other Bible software programs that I have.

• Like 7

With the latest updates on v14 I haven’t had many issues for my basic uses of it. For me the constant crashing was a problem, but now it seem to be working ok for the most part.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Erhard said:

I expect that V 14 is going to get to be one of the best versions, despite its rocky roll out. They know that they need to get this version fixed and fixed really good in order to keep from loosing customers. Personally, V 14 has worked pretty good for me on several computers and I am willing to wait for the rest of the bug fixes. I really like Accordance better than the other Bible software programs that I have.

The new features are phenomenal. For me, the improved live click with word study alone is a game changer. 

• Like 5

Tell me a company is not doing well without telling me a company is not doing well…

2 hours ago, Diatheke76 said:

Tell me a company is not doing well without telling me a company is not doing well…

???

• Like 3

On 1/16/2023 at 11:57 AM, Diatheke76 said:

The company is “doing well”. Accordance 14 was certainly launched too quickly. We’ve pretty much admitted that mistake, and it’s a mistake we won’t forget.

The next bug fix update is already being tested as we speak, and overall, we’ve seen good feedback with it resolving many of the bugs customers have reported in the last couple of weeks. I’m not going to promise a specific release date for it, as we’re not going to commit the same mistake we made with the launch of 14 in the first place. Once we know this next bug fix update is ready to release, we’ll release it. It is definitely in the works though, and its progress is getting closer. We’d rather release bug fix updates that work instead of rushing into releasing updates that further frustration customers have had with Accordance 14.

We’re also already having good discussions on expansions in Mobile based on customer feedback over the past couple of weeks and releasing syncing enhancements and Cloud. Accordance’s future is very bright and optimistic.

For what it’s worth, I’m 100% running 14 at the moment for my daily Bible study. Overall, I can work without major issues. There are a handful of bugs I’ve experienced that 14.0.4 will address, as well as the other bugs customer have reported.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I got tired of dealing with the bug issues and waiting so long for resources and newer versions to release that I gave up using Accordance on the laptop altogether. I still use the mobile app (which still needs some updating - but is still pretty good) alongside OliveTree (which is a great app) on my 12.9 inch iPad and that has been going well for me. 

I guess we all use the software for different reasons though…

• Like 1

To be fair @Nathan Parker there have been some cut backs at Accordance too.  You were simply a replacement for someone who left. Accordance is not doing just fine. All Bible software companies seem to going through a down turn because people are just moving from installing Bible software to using the Internet for both research and Bible study. I consider that abhorrent, but it is happening. Bible app, Bible Gateway, and Blue Letter Bible are flourishing because they are either free or online.

Edited by KevinPurcell
  • Like 4

It is true that the publishing industry in general is feeling the pinch of the current economic situation. Every publisher and everyone in the biblical studies industry has had to adapt to this economy.

As an aside, when I look at my monthly grocery bill, my heart almost stops. That’s also shopping very economical and not over-buying on everyday essentials.

The good news though is Accordance is still in a solid position for current and future growth and still has a bright future ahead of us. We’re going to continue to be one of the major players in the Bible software industry, and we’re excited about what the Lord has in store for us. 

There has been some good feedback on here on how we could market some entry level apps to attempt to get people using some of the free apps to give Accordance a try and “upgrade to Accordance”. We’ll see if we can implement some of that in the future. Once some users of the free apps give us a try, they’d really like what they see.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KevinPurcell said:

To be fair @Nathan Parker there have been some cut backs at Accordance too.  You were simply a replacement for someone who left.

Basically, Nathan replaced Rick. Have Joel and Mark been replaced as well after they left?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Parker said:

We’re also already having good discussions on expansions in Mobile based on customer feedback over the past couple of weeks

Excellent, looking forward to it. 

;o) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Erhard said:

Basically, Nathan replaced Rick. Have Joel and Mark been replaced as well after they left?

We haven’t made any additional announcements on staff hirings (except for me since I’m on the forums), but in the event we have any future staff announcements to make, we’d announce them sometime and give you all a chance to meet them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, A. Smith said:

I still hit bugs that require me to switch back to 13. I start with 14, but if I am encountering to much problems I switch to 13. It does mean that I stay away from features that would make my startup file incompatible with 13. I am currently running 13 production and 14 aleph.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

We’re also already having good discussions on expansions in Mobile based on customer feedback over the past couple of weeks and releasing syncing enhancements and Cloud. Accordance’s future is very bright and optimistic.

Is there any hope of seeing an update on Android. It has been very frustrating to not see any progress for a year or more. 

1 hour ago, miketisdell said:

I still hit bugs that require me to switch back to 13. I start with 14, but if I am encountering to much problems I switch to 13. It does mean that I stay away from features that would make my startup file incompatible with 13. I am currently running 13 production and 14 aleph.

It seems that windows is experiencing more bugs, unfortunately. The most annoying bug I experience right now is that the app hangs for what feels like forever before a dialogue box pops up. probably only 15-20 seconds, but it feels like 5 minutes. It doesn't crash. And eventually the box opens and I can respond to it and get back to work. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erhard said:

Nathan replaced Rick

By the way, I want to offer some clarification on this front.

While I have taken on the role that Rick used to perform for the company, my work for Accordance is different from basically “replacing Rick.” I was considering joining the Accordance family prior to any departures. Had Rick and Mark remained with Accordance, I would still have likely joined the Accordance family this year and had the opportunity to work with them (which would have been fun, but I wish them well in their post-Accordance ventures). Rick’s departure simply ensured I would be stepping into a role monitoring the forums (although there are other great colleagues here at Accordance who are supervising the forums along with me, it’s certainly not a one-man job).

I will be performing the roles Rick did on the forums, as well as some training roles, as well as plenty of additional roles at Accordance, especially as I complete my PhD program and have time to integrate more work for Accordance into my workflow. I’m excited for the work I get to do for Accordance, and I know Accordance has a bright future ahead. I am grateful to be a part of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miketisdell said:

Is there any hope of seeing an update on Android. It has been very frustrating to not see any progress for a year or more. 

There is. Mobile is going to be a major focus for us in 2023 after we finish resolving the bugs with Accordance 14 Desktop and release Accordance Cloud.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, A. Smith said:

It seems that windows is experiencing more bugs, unfortunately. The most annoying bug I experience right now is that the app hangs for what feels like forever before a dialogue box pops up. probably only 15-20 seconds, but it feels like 5 minutes. It doesn't crash. And eventually the box opens and I can respond to it and get back to work. 

Many of those bugs should be resolved in the next update. Did we log this particular bug in the “issues still needing resolution” thread?

4 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

The company is “doing well”. While our biggest competitor has laid off customers and has made major cuts to its product offerings, Accordance has been able to make a new hire (I for one), and I wouldn’t be surprised to see additional expansions in 2023 (although nothing official to report yet). Plus they just released version “22” of their desktop app while still selling their packages as version “10”. That’s going to be easy for customers to figure out. 🙂 

Accordance 14 was certainly launched too quickly. We’ve pretty much admitted that mistake, and it’s a mistake we won’t forget.

The next bug fix update is already being tested as we speak, and overall, we’ve seen good feedback with it resolving many of the bugs customers have reported in the last couple of weeks. I’m not going to promise a specific release date for it, as we’re not going to commit the same mistake we made with the launch of 14 in the first place. Once we know this next bug fix update is ready to release, we’ll release it. It is definitely in the works though, and its progress is getting closer. We’d rather release bug fix updates that work instead of rushing into releasing updates that further frustration customers have had with Accordance 14.

For what it’s worth, I’m 100% running 14 at the moment for my daily Bible study. Overall, I can work without major issues. There are a handful of bugs I’ve experienced that 14.0.4 will address, as well as the other bugs customer have reported.

I'd like to see more frequent bug fixes, even if they fix fewer bugs each time.

Benefits:

1. The Accordance user-experience improves more often.

2. Mission-critical fixes (e.g. sync) can be rolled out without waiting for cosmetic fixes.

3. Internally, the testing cycle is less demanding - it's easier to check that the one thing you fixed didn't break anything else than if 5 things changed at the same time.

All of this helps increase confidence in both the software and the company, and helps build momentum in usage and promotion.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Erhard said:

Basically, Nathan replaced Rick.

Although I’d rather my name not be included in these conversations, for sake of clarity I will say my responsibilities were given over to multiple individuals in the company. And some may still not be assigned to the extent they were in the past. My interactions in the forums were a small part of my role. I often interacted here on my own time, often at night, so as not to detract from my other tasks. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2