Bug with clauses search? Or my mistake?

Accordance Enthusiast

You are trying to search for unspecified clauses within a single higher clause. This is simply too complex for the search programming at the current time.

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 2

The searching for nulls is still not perfect (cue plea to programmers!).

In the cases in Gen 1:7 and 1:16 there is null subject followed by a null predicate immediately preceding the preposition. This has apparently caught the search, even though it was set up for *only* null PREDICATES.

The problem is greater for the two cases in Gen 1:11 and 1:12, since there is only a single null item in proximity to the prepositions. 

(Repeated plea to programmers to address the thorny null issue.)

• Like 2

There's a bug here. I get many hits from the search, but it misses most of the ones shown in the old screenshot and has numerous mis-hits. 

• Like 2

Yeah, that's a definite bug. Should be hundreds of each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's not the fault of the syntax database; we had to build on the Westminster morphology and how they determined the tagging of names (not always consistent, if I remember correctly) affects the syntax hits. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the very clear explanation!

On 1/14/2023 at 8:01 AM, Robert Holmstedt said:

two equal level clauses tagged under one clause node

So good to know and understand this.

Thank you

Shalom

On 1/14/2023 at 8:02 AM, Robert Holmstedt said:

This is simply too complex for the search programming at the current time

Thank you very much for the clarification.

I am hoping that this would be improved / made possible in future?

Shalom

On 1/14/2023 at 8:01 AM, Robert Holmstedt said:

The bullets will be searched as distinct clauses like any other distinct clause.

Excellent. So, they're distinct but not subordinate.

Thus, would Gen. 45:8 be three or two distinct clauses all together?

I reckon it's three, but not absolutely sure.

image.png.29bfaa0c4368b7e95051782e7b38a470.png

Edited by Anonymous

Also, it seems that there is some confusion in the nomenclature used in Accordance. Either that, or a bug?

If I set search depth to 0, it still finds hits across distinct phrases, as shown above also:

image.thumb.png.c8df8ff79f2467ea2df09cb76751a09c.png

image.png.f6054ef7d232dab6305474e14f72d12e.png

So, though it has the depth set to 0, the allow hits in "sub-clauses" allows the search to find the hits across two phrases on the same level. 

Though not subordinate as @Robert Holmstedt said above, this is still called a "sub-clause" in Accordance?

You see, if I set this to "don't allow hits in sub-clauses", ONLY THEN is Gen 45:8 excluded from the search:

image.thumb.png.366c83f4e8c0dd124375b3f9a76cecea.png

image.png.1576ce3d6e2b09901a83df3a3882963e.png

Now it gives the correct results. Because sub-clauses on the ZERO level are also excluded. 

Thus, in Accordance, these bulleted clauses are called sub-clauses, but on the 0 level.

The other thing is that the automatic construct collapses these "distinct clauses" into one clause:

image.thumb.png.5c60909232d0097e310d404d5a6bbc8d.png

The result is:

image.png.3dd6ad4014f33c9618599a2197493590.png

With only one clause at the top, though it should have been either 2 or 3?

By the way, this search finds no results at all. 

Edited by Anonymous

So, my conclusion is that these bulleted clauses are so called "sub-clauses" on the same level of syntax, and are thus often treated as one continuous clause, at least in searching. If I am wrong, please could someone correct me.

• Accordance Enthusiast changed the title to Is this really impossible??? - Syntax search Elohim with plural verb **in one "sub-clause"**

I tried duplicated the first clause in this verse:

image.thumb.png.6cab4432cc07822372659f676ba83614.png

Here is my search:

image.png.5d4c3b0042d6ec562d0b42d4348f146e.png

Results don't include Psalm 2:8

image.png.3eba821ba64b09167ecb9ba058361189.png

It seems the results can't and don't find any hits where bullets appear in the clause level.

Is this a bug or how should I do this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gen 45:8 has no sub-clauses. There are 2 clauses in the screenshot that is shown. There are an additional 3 clauses in the rest of the verb. Those three have ellipsis of the verb, which is precisely why we contain distinct clauses within one N label (this happens a lot of poetry, of course, but also in narrative, as we see in this verb and I have also published about).

The search programming is not supposed to see beyond the "bullet" points at all and so the results in the first part of Gen 45:8 are a bug, plain and simple. 

• Like 1

As I have replied in another post, you cannot do this. The database was never designed for this. This is an attempt to search beyond the clause boundaries of clauses at the same level. Such a search would only work when the "antecedent" function is finally programmed in (it is currently not). Even then, it would only find examples of across-clause-boundaries ellipsis, such as verb gapping, or multiple relative clause stacking on a single relative head. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robert Holmstedt said:

the results in the first part of Gen 45:8 are a bug, plain and simple

Thank you very much for the clarification.

So, I was trying to figure out something that's really only a bug.

• Like 1

Here is the search. Accordance complains that it is invalid.

image.png.6217ba315617d0c71dff1743ca7b60e8.png

Is this a bug?

• Like 1

If so, does anyone know how I can find the first part of Ps. 2:8 in a construct search?

Thank you

Possibly. By the way, if you’re the same person posting multiple threads about syntax searches, it would be easier to combine more of your requests into a single thread. That would make it easier for Robert to answer any syntax-related questions you have, as well as I’d have a consolidated thread I can show to developers on actual bugs. Seeing a bunch of separate posts on the forums from an “anonymous” user tends to look like we’re being spammed. I can merge all of your threads into a single thread if need be. In the future, try to consolidate as much as you can into one or a couple of threads.

I went ahead and merged everything into a single post. Any other potential syntax bugs you find, please append them to this post. That’ll give us a cleaner way to report issues to developers.

On 1/16/2023 at 8:42 AM, Anonymous said:

If so, does anyone know how I can find the first part of Ps. 2:8 in a construct search?

Thank you

Please, I am trying to confirm whether this is another bug, and whether this can be done.

I want to find the first part of Psalm 2:8 in a construct search. Is it possible to find the first part of Ps. 2:8 in a construct search?

I’ll leave that one for Robert to look into.

Good day Mr. @Robert Holmstedt.

I am trying to confirm whether this is a bug, or whether it is simply not possible.

I want to find the words "שאל ממי" in Psalm 2:8 in a syntax search in the applicable clause and phrases.

Is this possible? I've tried manual searches and automatic construct searches and can't find Ps. 2:8 in my results. 

If you could confirm whether this is a bug on Windows or whether I am doing something wrong, or whether this is just not possible I would really appreciate it.

Shalom.

On 1/16/2023 at 6:32 AM, Robert Holmstedt said:

Gen 45:8 has no sub-clauses. There are 2 clauses in the screenshot that is shown

Thus, the following screenshot shows only one clause? I'm wondering why the first two words are not under the bullet if they are part of the clause. 

image.png.85ce9c21ac52fc5891ea8cd483220cdc.png

The first two words are not "under" the clause because they are at the conjunction level. 

On Ps 2:8, I'm running into some obvious searching bugs that have appeared since I last put the syntax searching through the paces (I increasingly simply use the underlying database). I was able to get Ps 2:8 as a hit on the two searches below. But -- critically -- NOT when I put both the complement AND adjunct into the search (and this SHOULD work).

Additionally, when I looked just for the imperative verb followed by a null subject, I got similar hits (e.g., Deut 4:32, Judg 18:5, 1 Kgs 2:20; Jer 18:13) but NOT Ps 2:8. Clearly another bug. I've done some digging and the bugs are not in my database. 

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.08.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.06.52 AM.png

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 2