Bug with clauses search? Or my mistake?

Accordance Enthusiast

Ok, more playing. Below worked, but only when I deleted the Complement Phrase level and simply inserted Null-Complement and raised the depth =1. That is just odd. It won't hit anything if I include the phrase level above the null-complement, even though this actually the formal structure. 

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.56.31 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very very much Mr. @Robert Holmstedt!

I appreciate it a lot and hope that the Accordance search interface will be corrected soon by the programmers.

Is there any other platform on which I could search your data for better results?

I really like your syntax trees but it is sorry that I can't search them well in Accordance due to the programing bugs.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

No, our databases (on Hebrew Bible, Qumran, Inscriptions) were developed in collaboration with Accordance. It has become very clear over the 15 years of the project that while created it the database has its own large set of complexities and challenges, programming the searching within Accordance is equally complex and difficult in entirely different ways (that are entirely opaque to me). There are iterations in which the searching was very accurate, but major updates to Accordance always seem to throw off the syntax searching.

If someone is an established researcher with a formal institutional affiliation and is working on a specific Hebrew Bible syntax project, he or she could contact me about the underlying data: Prof. Robert Holmstedt, robert.holmstedt@utoronto.ca. 

No promises, given my teaching commitments and long overdue research projects. 

p.s. the trees were entirely the idea of Roy Brown, past owner and central programmer for Accordance. He liked visual representation and I've come to really like the trees, too. 

Edited by Robert Holmstedt
  • Like 5

@Robert Holmstedt

Besides the complexities of the database and Accordance programming, throw in the average user trying to understand both. I freely admit that I still don’t understand how the depth function works in searches. I often play around with it, and other things, until I find what I’m looking for.

It is a wonderful tool. It’s what brought me to Accordance and what keeps me here. Thanks again, for it and your support on the forum.

• Like 2

Thank you, Michel. That is encouraging. 

Depth came about due to a desire (not mine, but I didn't object) to have "fuzzy" searching.

I *always* start with 0 depth and create the structure I want to find or that matches the phrase/clause I am using as a template. Only when that doesn't get the hits I expect do I start increasing the depth to see either where I'm wrong or the search is buggy (or my data isn't as consistent I hoped -- and am constantly correcting towards). 

• Like 2

By the way Robert, if you ever want to teach a webinar or eAcademy session on syntax, just let Linda know. I know you’re swamped at the moment, so you might not have the time to do it, but if you get some free time down the road, it would definitely be fantastic to sit in and watch. We could record it and share it with customers.

• Like 1