Accordance 4 iOS/iPadOS

A. Smith

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I’m glad to see users interested in paying for increased functionality in Mobile. I guess we could do a similar thing to what I’ve proposed, but instead of tying the mobile features to the Accordance Desktop upgrades, tie “desktop class” features to an in-app purchase. I guess we could even offer a handful of in-app purchases where users could choose which “desktop class” mobile features they want to buy, or buy a discounted bundle of all of them. That would work similar to buying single modules or packages of modules. That’d put the customer in control of paying for what features the customer really wants/needs, while still keeping all the existing functionality for free and even adding additional free functionality.

• Like 3

Honestly, iPad, and especially iPad Pro, is utterly wasted on Accordance. There is so much power. And so much screen. And yet we’re stuck treating it like a phone. But it’s a touchscreen laptop, honestly. Here’s hoping that Apple silicon can help bring some parity between Accordance desktop and iPad. There is room for so much more than we’ve got on iPad. 

Edited by A. Smith
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I confess that I am a little disappointed that there has been no iOS updates in a while. When I say I use Accordance on iOS just as much as my desktop, that is not an empty platitude. I sincerely trust that development is happening for iOS. I hope so. Whatever solution the dev team comes up with, I know it will be with the wait. Accordance for iOS is pivotal in my workflow. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Anthony Estes said:

I confess that I am a little disappointed that there has been no iOS updates in a while.

After buying an app for my ipad from the leading software provider in that field who then put out a release that made the app totally unusable but then did not fix it for two years, gave me a very different perspective on app development and reliance on apps.

I guess accordance have their hands full at the moment and have their focus on other issues.

yes i would like new features in ios, but my fear is they may force a hardware upgrade as im on a first gen pro.

but currently the app is streets ahead of anything else ive used for bible study.

and i have workflows which are not the most efficient but work for me. 

plus i am enjoying becoming more virtuous as i exercise patience. 

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ukfraser said:

plus i am enjoying becoming more virtuous as i exercise patience.

;o) 

Absolutely. 😃

• Like 3

Mobile development is going to be a major focus moving forward, especially after we wrap up the remaining bugs in Accordance 14 Desktop. In the meantime, keep giving us great feedback on what you want to see/do with our mobile app, as it will help us prioritize which features we need to bring to Mobile as we really double down on development.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

Mobile development is going to be a major focus moving forward, especially after we wrap up the remaining bugs in Accordance 14 Desktop. 

great news, thanks

From my point of view, your other thread seems to cover the main feature requests quite well and there seems to be a good consensus in our requests.

;o) 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 9:36 AM, Nathan Parker said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I’m glad to see users interested in paying for increased functionality in Mobile. I guess we could do a similar thing to what I’ve proposed, but instead of tying the mobile features to the Accordance Desktop upgrades, tie “desktop class” features to an in-app purchase. I guess we could even offer a handful of in-app purchases where users could choose which “desktop class” mobile features they want to buy, or buy a discounted bundle of all of them. That would work similar to buying single modules or packages of modules. That’d put the customer in control of paying for what features the customer really wants/needs, while still keeping all the existing functionality for free and even adding additional free functionality.

I think the sentiment is frustration with the lack of iOS updates, so much so that people would even pay to get things moving, as opposed to wanting to pay for individual features. The competition already does that (sell subsets of functionality), and I see complaints but no praise for that approach.

For cross-device users (desktop/laptop + tablet), it is very important to be able to switch devices easily. Breaking sync is a very big thing, as is having one device inoperable when the other is upgraded.

Instead of changing the pricing model, I'd suggest the following takeaway from this thread: tablets are not merely a nice-to-have optional extra. Today's usage of computing resources is multi-device: e.g. prep on a multi-monitor PC, touch-up on-location on a laptop, deliver via a tablet. Or capture ideas on the phone when inspiration hits, integrate the various pieces on a PC at the office, review on a tablet at a retreat. The whole chain is important. No part of the chain should be left broken (especially for extended period) when a new version is released. Selling pieces of the chain separately doesn't address this problem and in some ways exacerbates it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lawrence said:

No part of the chain should be left broken (especially for extended period)

Yes. I think this is the crux of it. I think even long-suffering users can deal with a few days, maybe even a week (or two?) of broken sync or "having one device inoperable when the other is upgraded," as Lawrence mentions. But anything beyond that is just really unusual in the wide world of apps.

• Like 1

True. One thing I’ve mentioned to developers moving forward is, any major new change/feature on Desktop should be added to Mobile either around the same time or at least shortly afterward, unless it’s a feature that can wait a little bit to be added. Syncing and file format changes is one that cannot.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lawrence said:

Selling pieces of the chain separately doesn't address this problem and in some ways exacerbates it.

Lawrence, while i mainly agree with you, i am a bit more philosophical as the majority of the current major frustrations on the forum appears directed at 14. Although i prepaid for the upgrade, im still biding my time as 13 meets my needs (and i accept that there are a lot of happy 14 users and 14 will probably work just fine for me, I am still happy to wait).

where i would diverge from what you said relates to apple (i cant comment on android or other platforms as i gave up on android very quickly after every app i wanted wouldnt run on the os i had and i couldnt upgrade the os unless i upgraded my hardware).

originally a lot of apps worked on phone and pad. I think a lot of the above requested enhancements are for the large real estate of the pad rather than small screen of a phone. apple has now improved both the chip and os for pads into its very own definite stream.
i would like accordance to take advantage of that on an ipad rather than limit the ipad to what can be achieved on both pad and on a phone. but because that means they have to support three apple os, i would be happy to pay for an ipad app that takes advantage of and makes full use of the better chip and os. (Though i must admit to not wanting to upgrade my hardware at the moment as my 1st gen pro is still working perfectly well.)

there is now a trend with other app developers to have different cost models for their apps depending on whether its for pad, phone or both and i can see this being a model for accordance should they choose it. 

but in an ideal world, apple would release the ipad so it can run  the full os. Make everyones life a lot simpler. 

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 3