Accordance 4 iOS/iPadOS

A. Smith

Just a friendly reminder that I am among those who will gladly pay to unlock increased functionality in the iOS and especially iPadOS app. And I believe we are legion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

legion indeed though not sure a priority

• Like 2

Yes, yes, yes! Long overdue!

• Like 1

In the meantime, any books you want, you can buy, or you can also buy Accordance gift cards.

But I’ll still pass this on!

A couple questions I’d like to ask all of you.

Again, this is just more “brainstorming” from me. Nothing official to announce yet. I don’t even know if some of this is technically possible, but it’s something we could further research.

First, as you all know, Accordance Desktop currently has a free “Lite” mode and a “full” mode for those who purchase an Accordance Starter package or the app upgrade. “Lite” mode allows everyone to read Accordance modules and get plenty of work done, but “full” mode offers all of the premium features of Accordance.

I wonder what the interest would be if we kept all of the current functionality in Accordance Mobile (and even continued adding some functionality to the free app), but developed some premium “desktop class” features that would be tied to your Accordance ID login and would “unlock” if you owned the current Desktop version of Accordance. Basically Accordance Mobile would have a “Lite” mode that does everything it does today, always allows customers to read Accordance modules for free, and even gets some features added to the free app. Yet additional premium, “desktop class" features could be added to the Mobile app, and when one upgrades to the latest paid version of Accordance, they’d get new Mobile features as well.

We could revamp the major Mobile version number to be the same as Desktop (so Accordance Desktop and Mobile could both be 15 in the next major release, with .X and .X.X updates being for platform-specific fixes), so when one upgraded to “Accordance 15”, they’re upgrading for both Desktop and Mobile, not merely Desktop. With each major upgrade to Accordance, we could look at bringing specific features and focus to Mobile instead of focusing all the new feature additions just on Desktop and trying to “catch up” to Mobile later.

Additionally, I’ve thought about suggesting that when we develop future features for Desktop (such as a sermon builder, etc) that we try to develop such features either both on Desktop and Mobile around the same time, or at least within a shorter timeframe (maybe within a year maximum, similar to how Apple will release some features to macOS then to iOS/iPadOS a year later and vice versa). Other features we’d still need to play catchup on, and occasionally there will be desktop or mobile features that just don’t work well on another device and need to remain specific to one platform.

This is all mere brainstorming and just asking for your feedback here.

Thanks!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

First, as you all know, Accordance Desktop currently has a free “Lite” mode and a “full” mode for those who purchase an Accordance Starter package or the app upgrade. “Lite” mode allows everyone to read Accordance modules and get plenty of work done, but “full” mode offers all of the premium features of Accordance.

Hi nathan, i think you are incorrect, i think lite has been removed and accordance is now offered as a 90 day free trial with full features and then $19 for v13 basic as an intro. 

second, im wondering if the iphone type lite version is free and basic. 

be great to have other features if you own desktop but im guessing that you would need ipados for them and id also be happy to pay for them for those who dont have desktop or get them free as i have the desktop. Im not sure ipad will ever be the full version and dont forget you have android users who are after parity.

for me the question is can you get timeline, atlas, research, analytics on an ipad, particularly a pre m1 ipad? And what do android users need? I was an early android adopter but I gave up on android because of poor upgrade path android os and their providers offered and so many apps wouldnt run on previous android os and so many devices wouldnt upgrade to the later android os.  

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 2

Thanks for the update. I’ll see if I can get some clarity on Desktop Lite.

These features aren’t impossible to add to Mobile, but some will be a little tricker than others, especially Atlas and Timeline. Both heavily pre-date iOS/iPadOS, so we’ll have to think through how to add them to Mobile. Android is an area that needs some updates as well.

7 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

I wonder what the interest would be if we kept all of the current functionality in Accordance Mobile (and even continued adding some functionality to the free app), but developed some premium “desktop class” features that would be tied to your Accordance ID login and would “unlock” if you owned the current Desktop version of Accordance. Basically Accordance Mobile would have a “Lite” mode that does everything it does today, always allows customers to read Accordance modules for free, and even gets some features added to the free app. Yet additional premium, “desktop class" features could be added to the Mobile app, and when one upgrades to the latest paid version of Accordance, they’d get new Mobile features as well.

We could revamp the major Mobile version number to be the same as Desktop (so Accordance Desktop and Mobile could both be 15 in the next major release, with .X and .X.X updates being for platform-specific fixes), so when one upgraded to “Accordance 15”, they’re upgrading for both Desktop and Mobile, not merely Desktop. With each major upgrade to Accordance, we could look at bringing specific features and focus to Mobile instead of focusing all the new feature additions just on Desktop and trying to “catch up” to Mobile later.

Additionally, I’ve thought about suggesting that when we develop future features for Desktop (such as a sermon builder, etc) that we try to develop such features either both on Desktop and Mobile around the same time, or at least within a shorter timeframe (maybe within a year maximum, similar to how Apple will release some features to macOS then to iOS/iPadOS a year later and vice versa). Other features we’d still need to play catchup on, and occasionally there will be desktop or mobile features that just don’t work well on another device and need to remain specific to one platform.

Hi Nathan, if I'm understanding your first suggestion correctly, it sounds like what "that other company" offers, i.e., the possibility of purchasing and downloading individual items; however, if you want the full functionality, you have to shell out $300++. Personally, I think that's a terrible practice which reeks of trying to squeeze money out of their customers. I've invested a fair amount in resources with them, probably well over $1000 and yet, because I don't want the additional public domain filler that comes with the complete version, the capabilities I have are quite limited. That practice alone is one of the reasons why I've never bought into the "full" model.

That means that what I use "that other company's" app for is basically their extensive library, on an as-needed basis. As far as Accordance is concerned, the more limited library means that its real usefulness is in what the app itself can do. That's its selling point and that's where it shines. Sure, there are things like the syntax modules that have to be purchased separately, but they can be acquired one by one as needed, not because you've shelled out the minimum 300-400 bucks. Pushing the functionalities into a top-tier category would, I think, really impoverish the draw that Accordance has. That's just my experience/opinion, though. Others may look at it quite differently.

As for the second suggestion, I think that's a great idea! It would mean developing resources in a methodical way for all platforms, which would be very logical.

Thanks for bouncing your ideas off folks in this forum! Keep up the good work.

Edited by Donald Cobb
  • Like 2

What @Nathan Parker has suggested is pretty much exactly what I'm suggesting. Since it seems that developing iOS, and especially iPadOS into a serious performance app doesn't seem to be a priority, my hope is that revenue from a paid mobile app may incentivize this a bit. If you don't want to pay, don't pay. And you're not losing anything. But it would be nice to have the option. And worth the cash for me. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

tied to your Accordance ID login and would “unlock” if you owned the current Desktop version of Accordance

Once caveat. And this is an absolute deal-breaker for me. This unlocking would have to be done once and one, the way modules are unlocked. If online authentication were required for every app launch, it's a hard pass for me. The places and times I need the app the most are typically those where I have the least connectivity. This is one reason I really, really, dislike Logos' model. While much is downloaded, much isn't. And, even when you select 'download all' I've found that it doesn't. And logos has assured me this is a bug, not a feature. But it's been years and it's still this way. Which cripples the app for me. 

• Like 2

I have the same experience and thoughts as Donald Cobb. 

—Joseph

• Like 2

4 hours ago, A. Smith said:

What @Nathan Parker has suggested is pretty much exactly what I'm suggesting. Since it seems that developing iOS, and especially iPadOS into a serious performance app doesn't seem to be a priority, my hope is that revenue from a paid mobile app may incentivize this a bit. If you don't want to pay, don't pay. And you're not losing anything. But it would be nice to have the option. And worth the cash for me. 

I agree with A. smith.

Personally I would be happy to pay for an improved iPadOS Accordance App. It would seem sensible to me that this should speed up the development of iPad OS

I would also have thought that as the iPad OS improves and becomes capable of matching the desktop system then if it is free the people could stop buying the desktop system. I could imagine this happening on the larger iPad Pros. - why would you buy the desktop system with a fully functional accordance on a large iPad?

Also agree would prefer this to be a one off payment.

• Like 2

I recommend paying for increased iOS functionality. I serve in three congregations; I am constantly moving. I need my resources with me, available, editable, etc. If the only way forward is to have paid version, I'm happy to consider it.

• Like 3

On my first suggestion, it would still be a little different than what the other guys do. We wouldn’t require you to invest in an Accordance Primary Collection for the features, just the Accordance Upgrade. Accordance 14 on sale was about $38 during the pre-order period (it still looks like it is on sale), and even at full price, it’s only $64, not the $300+ that the other guys charge. $38-64 is pretty reasonable for an upgrade that would give you extra added features in both the desktop and mobile apps, especially if we really doubled-down on adding “desktop class” features to the mobile app. There are some features we’d probably still throw in the mobile app for free, but I’m thinking of major “desktop class” features that would be a massive undertaking.

True on the features would need to authenticate once and work in offline mode, as I have relied on Accordance Mobile in areas without cell coverage when I couldn’t touch the other guy’s app. Good point on that.

• Like 2

Confirmed that Lite has been replaced with the 90 day trial in Desktop.

6 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

On my first suggestion, it would still be a little different than what the other guys do. We wouldn’t require you to invest in an Accordance Primary Collection for the features, just the Accordance Upgrade. Accordance 14 on sale was about $38 during the pre-order period (it still looks like it is on sale), and even at full price, it’s only $64, not the $300+ that the other guys charge. $38-64 is pretty reasonable for an upgrade that would give you extra added features in both the desktop and mobile apps, especially if we really doubled-down on adding “desktop class” features to the mobile app. There are some features we’d probably still throw in the mobile app for free, but I’m thinking of major “desktop class” features that would be a massive undertaking.

True on the features would need to authenticate once and work in offline mode, as I have relied on Accordance Mobile in areas without cell coverage when I couldn’t touch the other guy’s app. Good point on that.

Ok. Thanks for the confirmation Nathan. So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying keep the current practice but bring back the lite version or something like it. I'm fine with that, personally. I think it's a good idea. There would have to be some tweaking, though. I remember seeing a number of people experiencing technical hangups when moving from the AppleStore version to a direct purchase from Accordance.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nathan Parker said:

thanks Nathan...

though doesn't look as though, on this funding model, there would be much increase in funding for Accordance to speed up production on iOS and and Android apps. Unless there happen to be large numbers of users who only use the mobile app and do pay for the desktop version. 

i think what a few of us were saying is that we would be happy to pay more by in app purchases or a different iPad app for improved features - particularly if this adds the features requested. ( think this is like some companies, such as Scrivener or iA Writer charge separately for the desktop and mobile versions) 

• Like 1