Window Sizing And Location Issues On Launch

JohnABarnett

3 hours ago, JohnABarnett said:

As a Windows 10 user I have found the easiest workaround is to hold down the Windows Key and hit the appropriate arrow key to move it to the monitor you want. It will not be full screen, but clicking the title bar to make it so makes it a two-step solution. 

Interesting, it works on the laptop keyboard but not the wireless keyboard that I use with it. Using Shift and right clicking on the Icon also works to bring up the pop up window to maximize

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Erhard said:

Interesting, it works on the laptop keyboard but not the wireless keyboard that I use with it. Using Shift and right clicking on the Icon also works to bring up the pop up window to maximize

Hmm, not sure what's going on in that case. I use a desktop, so perhaps some difference there?

• Like 1

I got it working now. Also, did a bit more checking. It does work on Win 11 as well. If you just do Windows key plus up arrow, regardless of its original position, it seems to maximize it. That seems to be the best solution for this windows sizing issue

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Erhard said:

I got it working now. Also, did a bit more checking. It does work on Win 11 as well. If you just do Windows key plus up arrow, regardless of its original position, it seems to maximize it. That seems to be the best solution for this windows sizing issue

@Erhard Hmm.. using the Windows key and up arrow doesn't seem to work for me.  I am currently using a Surface Pro 7 with Windows 11 Pro; version 22H2; OS Build 22623.1037.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Misulejoha said:

@Erhard Hmm.. using the Windows key and up arrow doesn't seem to work for me.  I am currently using a Surface Pro 7 with Windows 11 Pro; version 22H2; OS Build 22623.1037.

Windows key and up arrow works for me in Windows 11 to maximize the Accordance window. I am not using surface pro however. You might want to try the following: 1) Pin the Accordance icon to taskbar at bottom of the screen, 2) open Accordance, 3) hold Shift key down and right click on the Accordance icon, and 4) click on maximize

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Misulejoha said:

Hmm.. using the Windows key and up arrow doesn't seem to work for me.  I am currently using a Surface Pro 7 with Windows 11 Pro; version 22H2; OS Build 22623.1037.

One other thought, not sure if you tried this already. Left click somewhere on the open Accordance window and then try the Windows + up arrow to see if that works

• Like 1

This is from the Microsoft website

image.png.7cedaeb2c57bcc9ff7b2b70109f99889.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, docdave said:

Windows key and up arrow works for me in Windows 11 to maximize the Accordance window. I am not using surface pro however. You might want to try the following: 1) Pin the Accordance icon to taskbar at bottom of the screen, 2) open Accordance, 3) hold Shift key down and right click on the Accordance icon, and 4) click on maximize

@docdave Thank you.  This worked for me.  Hopefully Accordance will fix this sometime soon.  In the meantime, this is a helpful workaround.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Erhard said:

One other thought, not sure if you tried this already. Left click somewhere on the open Accordance window and then try the Windows + up arrow to see if that works

@Erhard  I didn't try this before but I have now and it worked.  Thanks for the tip.  The only issue I have, even with this method, is sometimes Accordance is completely off my screen and I don't have a place to left click on the open Accordance window.  Otherwise this method works great.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Misulejoha said:

The only issue I have, even with this method, is sometimes Accordance is completely off my screen and I don't have a place to left click on the open Accordance window.

I have had that as well, though not lately. When that happens I have to use the other method to get it on the screen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misulejoha said:

@Erhard  I didn't try this before but I have now and it worked.  Thanks for the tip.  The only issue I have, even with this method, is sometimes Accordance is completely off my screen and I don't have a place to left click on the open Accordance window.  Otherwise this method works great.

Windows sometimes does that to me with other apps. You can use the switcher (windows + tab) to select the window before doing windows + arrow.

Another thing to try is to create a new Windows workspace (see the picture below: it's the black & white icon next to the Windows search box on the menu bar), then click the workspace icon again to drag a window into a workspace. This should put the window into a visible spot in the new workspace. You can drag then it back to your normal workspace if you like, using the workspace icon.

image.png.683181697ec6826e24a00638461443be.png

• Like 1

@Lawrence Thank you for the tip.  I'll certainly give it a try.  It sure would be nice if Accordance didn't need any work arounds when it comes to something as basic as opening the app in a max position.  I'm greatful for all the tips that will help in the meantime until Accordance finds a solution.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have just had to look here to find a solution to this problem as it continues on 14.0.4. Yesterday I had Accordance open on an external monitor. This morning I started it up on the laptop and the Accordance window was completely invisible. Eventually I had to use the Shift-right click on the programme icon to be able to maximise the window and make it visible. It does feel that this is rather a basic element of functionality that needs fixing as soon as possible? 

• Like 2

It is actually worse on 14.0.4 than 14.0.3

It's a big frustration when the window cannot be reached, and you cannot even click the maximize button.

It happens quite often.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anonymous said:

It is actually worse on 14.0.4 than 14.0.3

It's a big frustration when the window cannot be reached, and you cannot even click the maximize button.

It happens quite often.

I think I would have to second this: 14.0.4 does seem worse the 14.0.3. I had gotten to the point where it was opening normally most times on 14.0.3 but now on 14.0.4 I am back to having it totally missing on the monitors about half the time on startup.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Anonymous said:

I find it is different on different computers. On one, it just about always misses the screen and on others it works fairly good. When you cannot get to the maximize button, the best workaround seems to be to hover over the Accordance icon in the task bar and then right click on "maximize" in the pop up window. If part of it is showing, left click anywhere on the Accordance window and then use the "windows" key in combination with the up arrow. Those two seem to work for me every time.

• Like 2

Thanks for the followup! I’m reporting this bug as well.

• Like 1

I do not really know anything about programming, but would it not make sense to have the last line of the start up code tell the window to maximize?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Erhard said:

I do not really know anything about programming, but would it not make sense to have the last line of the start up code tell the window to maximize?

A friend of mine might say that sounds too much like common sense. :P

There are other reasons, though, why it's not that simple.

1. If the window opened with its primary portion on a phantom monitor, maximising the window might take away the last visible corner.

2. If they want to open the window to its former size/position, they need to cater for non-maximised windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lawrence said:

A friend of mine might say that sounds too much like common sense. :P

There are other reasons, though, why it's not that simple.

1. If the window opened with its primary portion on a phantom monitor, maximising the window might take away the last visible corner.

2. If they want to open the window to its former size/position, they need to cater for non-maximised windows.

Thanx for the explanation, how about telling it to open at a relatively small size - say about 600 X 350 Pixels? As it is, it seems to open at fairly random sizes and spreading out over several monitors at times.

• Like 2

I don't know what the exact instructions should be, but the big issue is that this is a bug. Other programs in Windows don't have this problem and Accordance hasn't always been like this either.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, mhanel said:

I don't know what the exact instructions should be, but the big issue is that this is a bug. Other programs in Windows don't have this problem and Accordance hasn't always been like this either.

I Agree. I do not remember what Acc 12 was like, but 13 had the problem to a degree and it seems 14 is even worse

• Like 1