Window Sizing And Location Issues On Launch

JohnABarnett

For a long time now I've been having issues with Accordance window sizing and location on launch. The window opens too large for the screen, so much so that I cannot even see or click on the window title bar. It also extends very far off the screen to the right unseen. The left side of the window starts in the middle of the screen. See first attached screen capture. 

If I type WINDOW Key + left arrow I can get it to size and locate in such a way that it is viewable and clickable on the left half of the screen. From there I can make it full screen.

But if I close Accordance and then reopen it I encounter the same or similar problem. It seems that Accordance should remember the last window position or at least open contained within the screen. As I said, I can work around it, but is there some setting I'm unaware of that may be causing this? If not, hopefully it can be overcome so as not to require the workaround. It didn't used to be this way. If memory serves me well (and sometimes it doesn't) Accordance used to act like any other Windows program with regard to window management.

Accordance Screen Capture - Window Sizing On Launch - 2022-12-02_12-11-24.png

• Like 3

I had something eerily similar and I could not get it straight until I did a hard reboot of my computer (Surface Pro 6 with Windows 11).

Bob

3 minutes ago, rcdeacon said:

I had something eerily similar and I could not get it straight until I did a hard reboot of my computer (Surface Pro 6 with Windows 11).

Bob

I have 3 different Windows 11 computers and it happens in different ways on all of them. I've done rebooting and resetting settings of Accordance. In one computer the workspace gets opened across multiple monitors, though I always use it only on one. In another computer the main title bar actually goes beyond the top boundary of the monitor, making it impossible to drag and resize the window and instead have to use the windows key + arrow option John mentioned above. This also happens on the Check for Updates popup window. It opens above the top part of the monitor making it impossible to close the popup.

1 hour ago, rcdeacon said:

Bob

Bob, if by hard boot you mean rebooting the computer not using the Windows software command, I initiate a shut down my computer every evening using the Windows software menu, though the power remains on. I restart it every morning using the front panel button on my computer. Not sure if "hard reboot" the way you are using it refers to actually disconnecting power as well. My rebooting has had no effect on this problem. 

Edited by JohnABarnett

On my surface pro6 if I push and hold power button at top, a screen appears telling me to slide down the screen to shut off computer. Once I did that (restarted Windows) Accordance behaved normally.

Bob

Edited by rcdeacon
  • Like 1

Same here. It does weird things on my multiple monitor setup and it will fire up in different sizes and positions on different monitors. Even the manifestation of the problem itself isn't consistent. Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with it.

I have the same problem and is talked about in other threads as well. I have had it with V 13 as well. It acts differently on 4 different computers. On one, it opens up to the left of either of 2 monitors, on another, it usually is spread over 2 monitors and hanging into cyberspace past the end of one, another one it opens up with the top of the window off screen so that you cannot grab it. I have both WIndows 10 and 11 computers and same issue. The best way I have found so far to deal with this is to hover over the Accordance icon and right click on the pop up window and then left click on "maximize". That seems to bring it onto 1 screen.

• Like 1

I had Easy Install poke up far enough past the top of my monitor that I couldn't move it. The alt-arrow combinations didn't work on the Easy Install dialogue box.

When I plugged in an external monitor, the PC switched to mirroring mode and automatically pushed the Easy Install dialogue box back fully into the visible area.

15 hours ago, rcdeacon said:

On my surface pro6 if I push and hold power button at top, a screen appears telling me to slide down the screen to shut off computer. Once I did that (restarted Windows) Accordance behaved normally.

Bob

God has blessed you, then. I rejoice with your rejoicing!

13 hours ago, MatthewJames said:

it will fire up in different sizes and positions on different monitors. Even the manifestation of the problem itself isn't consistent. 

Indeed, not consistent here either. In fact, lately one of the most habitual occurrences is that when I click on a shortcut to launch Accordance the hourglass shows briefly then disappears and there is no discernible launch activity (Task Manager does not even show it running). If I click again on the shortcut it usually does launch, but sometimes not even then. In nearly all cases it will eventually launch. I can only remember a couple of times where I gave up. The problem is not my shortcuts or my (double) clicking, because I do the same thing and eventually get successful results.

I should add that though this has been happening even going back into Accordance 13 (it started at some point well into 13's history), recently and even before I upgraded to 14 once the program did launch it warns me that the session did not close normally and asks if I want to restore the most recently saved session. Sometimes I get successful opening when I answer yes, and sometimes no. Sometimes it opens with the last session, and sometimes it opens a new window showing Genesis 1.1. This description is to the best of my ability to remember.

All this is disconcerting, but eventually with re-clicking and repositioning and resizing I eventually get things in a usable state. Once I get to that state I enjoy the Accordance I know and love.

Edited by JohnABarnett
  • Like 2

John's observations about Accordance startup behavior exactly match mine on Windows 10 with Accordance V13. I have not installed V14 on my Windows 10 system yet. I have always had fewer issues with Accordance on my macOS machines, but I always keep one Windows based machine operating for those legacy Windows  based programs I have.

—Joseph With Too Many Computers

• Like 1

Another item related to this goes back to v 13 as well. The Scripture box on the bottom right where you can choose a book to go to with the down arrow has a problem when you go from a higher resolution monitor to a lower one. On one of my workstations, I have the 1920 X 1080 laptop monitor, a 2560 X 1440 monitor and another 1920 X 1080 monitor. When you move the workspace from the higher res monitor to the lower one, the pop up window does not have the down arrow visible so that you can scroll down to the remaining books. I had mentioned this a couple of years ago already. It is not a big deal anymore since we now have the verse picker, but still seems to show that there is some issue with the program not recognizing the resolution size of the monitor.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:58 AM, JohnABarnett said:

Indeed, not consistent here either. In fact, lately one of the most habitual occurrences is that when I click on a shortcut to launch Accordance the hourglass shows briefly then disappears and there is no discernible launch activity (Task Manager does not even show it running). If I click again on the shortcut it usually does launch, but sometimes not even then. In nearly all cases it will eventually launch. I can only remember a couple of times where I gave up. The problem is not my shortcuts or my (double) clicking, because I do the same thing and eventually get successful results.

I should add that though this has been happening even going back into Accordance 13 (it started at some point well into 13's history), recently and even before I upgraded to 14 once the program did launch it warns me that the session did not close normally and asks if I want to restore the most recently saved session. Sometimes I get successful opening when I answer yes, and sometimes no. Sometimes it opens with the last session, and sometimes it opens a new window showing Genesis 1.1. This description is to the best of my ability to remember.

All this is disconcerting, but eventually with re-clicking and repositioning and resizing I eventually get things in a usable state. Once I get to that state I enjoy the Accordance I know and love.

All of that is almost exactly what I've been experiencing and when it started happening to me on my windows machine as well, except for the Genesis 1:1 part. I've never had it get that bad. Like you said, eventually it will open, it just takes forever/multiple tries sometimes and usually pukes my windows all over the place. Then like you said, once I get everything positioned, I usually just refrain from shutting it down for as long as I can! 

Same problem here. The menu bar extends beyond the top of the screen and the screen can't be resized using any of the methods suggested including hard reboot. I'm using Windows 11 with Accordance 14.0.2 on a 27" desktop monitor. It's a two-monitor setup, but Accordance is not used on the second monitor.

Even before this happened, it was impossible to resize the screen using the grab handles. They had no effect on screen movement.

In hopes of getting more information towards identifying and solving the problems described here (am NOT trying to pile on), here's what happened attempting to launch Accordance just now.

1. Double-click on shortcut to Workspace, Windows hourglass displays showing the launch process is initiated. Then a very brief "flicker" of WIndows activity in target monitor that then immediately ceases as hourglass disappears.

2. Repeat (1), this time get a popup saying the last session did not quit properly do I want to open most recently save Yes/No. I click Yes, then same flicker and end of activity.

3. Repeat (1), get popup again, click Yes, last session opens normally.

But the results can differ depending on various attempts. Sometimes I have to answer NO to get a successful launch (though a previous session not the last, is launched). Sometimes neither Yes or No works. Really puzzling because, though I know that due to the nature of computers there is some causation for each event, the effect gives the appearance of randomness. What works one time does not work another time, in fact sometimes what works is the complete opposite choice.

Not sure what to make of this.

Oh, and I should add that since updating to 14.02 some of the launch window sizing issues have ceased, window opens with top left corner located in top left corner of monitor. Not sure if this is specifically due to the update, but it seems likely. Also, I have not done it enough times to be sure the problem is solved going forward.

59 minutes ago, JohnABarnett said:

In hopes of getting more information towards identifying and solving the problems described here (am NOT trying to pile on), here's what happened attempting to launch Accordance just now.

1. Double-click on shortcut to Workspace, Windows hourglass displays showing the launch process is initiated. Then a very brief "flicker" of WIndows activity in target monitor that then immediately ceases as hourglass disappears.

2. Repeat (1), this time get a popup saying the last session did not quit properly do I want to open most recently save Yes/No. I click Yes, then same flicker and end of activity.

3. Repeat (1), get popup again, click Yes, last session opens normally.

But the results can differ depending on various attempts. Sometimes I have to answer NO to get a successful launch (though a previous session not the last, is launched). Sometimes neither Yes or No works. Really puzzling because, though I know that due to the nature of computers there is some causation for each event, the effect gives the appearance of randomness. What works one time does not work another time, in fact sometimes what works is the complete opposite choice.

Not sure what to make of this.

Oh, and I should add that since updating to 14.02 some of the launch window sizing issues have ceased, window opens with top left corner located in top left corner of monitor. Not sure if this is specifically due to the update, but it seems likely. Also, I have not done it enough times to be sure the problem is solved going forward.

I've noticed that sometimes Accordance takes a long time to load. In the interim, it looks like nothing is happening. If you try to launch Accordance again during this intermediate time, you end up with two instances duking it out, most likely with both failing. I'm not sure whether this is an Accordance thing or a Windows thing because sometimes other apps would also take a long time to load.

In these situations, you just have to wait out your step 1. Sometimes, weird behaviour like this is a clue that Windows is prepping a Windows update in the background.

I wish that was the case. If it was it would be taking four, five minutes to launch. I suppose that's possible. The thought hadn't occurred to me, though, since I've never had any program ever take that long to launch. What I've been doing is waiting awhile before a second attempt. Also, this has been consistently happening over long period of months, so it's hard to imagine Windows update is doing this almost daily for months. Also I have a pretty powerful desktop with a Core i5-9600K processor, SSD's for both boot and storage, and 64 GB of RAM. But I acknowledge that anything is possible, including your suggestion. Thanks for making it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JohnABarnett said:

I wish that was the case. If it was it would be taking four, five minutes to launch. I suppose that's possible. The thought hadn't occurred to me, though, since I've never had any program ever take that long to launch. What I've been doing is waiting awhile before a second attempt. Also, this has been consistently happening over long period of months, so it's hard to imagine Windows update is doing this almost daily for months. Also I have a pretty powerful desktop with a Core i5-9600K processor, SSD's for both boot and storage, and 64 GB of RAM. But I acknowledge that anything is possible, including your suggestion. Thanks for making it.

It's very gracious of you to put it that way, but I agree that those numbers point to a bug in Accordance's application-launch sequence.

• Like 1

I really find it interesting and curios why Accordance acts so differently on different computers.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:15 AM, JohnABarnett said:

It's ba-a-a-ck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having the same issue on windows 10 Accordance 14 with a triple monitor setup on a Microsoft Surface Studio 1. A workaround is to right click the task bar and then select "show windows stacked". This will make it appear on one of the monitors and I can grab and move it wherever I want.

@mikeatnip

That's a good idea!

The Windows 11 equivalent is to click on the 'workspaces' icon in the task bar to show all windows in the current workspace.

I haven't tested this, but it looks like we can drag a recalcitrant off-screen window to a new workspace if needed, hopefully with the window opening in a visible part of the new workspace.

On 12/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, Erhard said:

... another one it opens up with the top of the window off screen so that you cannot grab it. I have both WIndows 10 and 11 computers and same issue. The best way I have found so far to deal with this is to hover over the Accordance icon and right click on the pop up window and then left click on "maximize". That seems to bring it onto 1 screen.

I am using the same method for this issue in Win 11, except I have to hold down the Shift key first and then right click on the taskbar Accordance icon to see the maximize option. I am not sure why Accordance can't just open at the maximized size, or the same size it was last closed at, but this workaround has been easy enough for me for now.

• Like 2

As a Windows 10 user I have found the easiest workaround is to hold down the Windows Key and hit the appropriate arrow key to move it to the monitor you want. It will not be full screen, but clicking the title bar to make it so makes it a two-step solution.