Is there a video tutorial in depth to show how exactly to use the syntax tool?( I might be thinking of the construct tool)

rpavich

Hi,

I'd like to do a syntax search but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it...I stumble around and get nothing done.

Is there a good video (or otherwise) tutorial on how to use it?

I just realized I might be talking about the "construct" tool instead.

thanks,

bob

Edited by rpavich

• rpavich changed the title to Is there a video tutorial in depth to show how exactly to use the syntax tool?( I might be thinking of the construct tool)

Have you looked at the "Tutorials" in accordance? They are not videos, but step by step guides, you can choose between, simple, Greek or Hebrew construct and it guides you through it!construct.png.00aa004bb8fea64abcdbfa526e9422e4.png

• Like 3

oh, no I didn’t, I’m embarrassed, I didn’t even think about that.

I have NEVER clicked on that tool....holy smokes..there is a lot of good help stuff there...thanks so much..

EDITED TO ADD: I'm flabbergasted at how good the help file thing is. If I had this I'd have been MUCH better at everything in accordance...lol

Edited by rpavich
  • Like 4

I absolutely love the tutorials. I use them rarely, but sometimes I just can't recall how to do something, and they come in pretty clutch

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I do not see the Hebrew Construct menu in that place. I am on Accordance 13.3.5. I guess I need to buy the syntax module, but there are two of them and when I tried in november or beginning of december, I could not.

It's time for me to better use the possibilities of Accordance, so please help me understand this of redirect

me to the right tutorial somewhere on the web.

I plan to do a Hebrew Syntax webinar sometime this year. There's some searches I need to test first and make sure everything is in place.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Yohanan said:

I do not see the Hebrew Construct menu in that place. I am on Accordance 13.3.5. I guess I need to buy the syntax module, but there are two of them and when I tried in november or beginning of december, I could not.

You don’t need the syntax module to do a Hebrew construct. If you don’t have the syntax, the syntax options won’t show up in the construct pane. (Paragraph, clause, etc) but all the parts of speech and search tools will be available. And being on 13.3.5 will not make any difference for this. 

Edited by Ken Simpson

Thank you Ken! Any tutorial to make a construct without the Syntax module ? Which BTW I am ready to buy once I know what to choose. I have hear there are two of them.

Blessings

There are three different syntax modules available in Accordance: 

• The Standard Hebrew Syntax one from Holmstedt is going to be the simplest and easiest one to work with. He's done a really great job on it.
  • The ETCBC (formerly WIVU) is another popular one.
  • The Andersen-Forbes is also another popular one and one I like since I used the Logos one years ago, and I could bring over my existing syntax searches into Accordance easily.

8 hours ago, Yohanan said:

Thank you Ken! Any tutorial to make a construct without the Syntax module ? Which BTW I am ready to buy once I know what to choose. I have hear there are two of them.

Blessings

It’s old. But the principles are the same. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 10:08 PM, Ken Simpson said:

It’s old. But the principles are the same. 

I just watched this. Nice brush-up. However, I did find a couple of issues. To restrict the search on לְדָוִד, I limited it to Psalms (BTW, putting the le as the first element of the verse leaves out all the psalms attributed to David where the expression is preceded by something else, say מִזְמוֹר, or some such. In all there are over 70 hits). I then wanted to see how the expression was distributed in the Psalter. However, unlike the other books of the Bible, 1) when I wanted to look at the table chart with the chapter detail, nothing happened. (Strangely, re-doing the search gave me the chapter details!); 2) clicking on "Customize display" does nothing. I can get it to come up when I click command+T, though. So it seems like the command in the menu box has gotten itself dis-activated. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm on Acc. 14.08.

I find the same issue -- command-t will bring up display choices, but 'customize display' does not seem to work on bar chart or analysis graph, but does work on chart, concordance, analysis

osx

• Like 1

Let me know if there's a potential bug report to check into.

I still need to do a Syntax Webinar this year. Every time I think I have time to research it, something else high-priority comes up. :-)

18 minutes ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Let me know if there's a potential bug report to check into.

I still need to do a Syntax Webinar this year. Every time I think I have time to research it, something else high-priority comes up. 🙂

Thanks @Dr. Nathan Parker! I think there's definitely a bug there on both issues I pointed out. 

Great. I'll check. Thanks!

I checked and this will be resolved in 14.0.9.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2024 at 5:09 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

I checked and this will be resolved in 14.0.9.

Just to make sure: this goes for both issues? That would be great.

Command+T is working across all of the Analytics in 14.0.9.

Let me know if there's something else I need to investigate.

Yes, @Dr. Nathan Parker, one of the problems is the fact that clicking on "Customize display" does nothing (click command+T does work, the problem is not with the keyboard shortcut but with the menu button).

The other problem is one I'm only seeing in psalms: I do a search like the one in the video (le + dawid), limiting the range in the dropdown menu to Psalms. I then click on "table chart" and then on "show chapter detail". Nothing happens. I can't get see the individual psalms in which the expression occurs. After fiddling around with it, it does seem to eventually come up but only afterwards.

Thanks! What OS are you on, and if you're on a Mac, Intel or Apple Silicon? I'll test.

13 hours ago, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

Thanks! What OS are you on, and if you're on a Mac, Intel or Apple Silicon? I'll test.

Acc. 14.0.8

OS 11.7.10, Silicon

Edited by Donald Cobb

What Hebrew Bible are you searching in?

On 2/3/2024 at 3:38 PM, Dr. Nathan Parker said:

What Hebrew Bible are you searching in?

It was BHS but I encounter the same problem using the other Hebrew Bibles as well.

Can you post your search string? I'm having trouble getting it to run.