Improving the Research Tab

William Cross

I just discovered myreader.ai which allows you to upload all kinds of documents and then have the ability to ask questions about them using natural language and the AI will reply based off of what the documents contain. It allows you to accumulate an entire library that will function as its data base.

This is exactly the type of feature I am hoping to see with Accordance.

Nice! Have you been trying it? How well does it work?

Posted (edited)

Yes, it is very helpful. Both myreader.ai and perplexity.ai allow for uploading documents, epubs, etc. to research.

Edited by William Cross

Great!

Having used ChatGPT AI extensively at work for coding, documentation, and research, I've observed that the pace of change in this field is accelerating exponentially. This observation raises questions about whether Accordance's software architecture can effectively leverage advancements in rapidly evolving AI engines. Significant considerations include the need to decrypt files based on licensing and potential constraints like token count limits in the absence of paid subscriptions for advanced AI plugins.

As a staunch proponent of using tools that are fit for their intended purposes, I often find myself at odds with corporations' unwavering commitment to cloud services, particularly when it adversely affects them. This skepticism now extends to AI adoption as well. My views have evolved: while I once championed AI's use, growing concerns have prompted a more cautious stance, especially given AI's potential for enforcing content filtering based on preset biases or rules, as demonstrated by scenarios like Google's Gemini project.

Accordance has stood the test of time, but it may require a comprehensive redesign to stay relevant in the coming decades. While there's anticipation for a potential web version, I remain skeptical about its ability to match the user experience of the desktop version. Furthermore, simply relying on traditional research functionalities might not be sufficient. We should consider a balanced approach that includes refining existing features while cautiously exploring AI integration. Ideally, AI would be introduced as an optional plugin, ensuring it complements rather than compromises the core functionality of the product.

Good points!